Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Do people tell men to smile?

Started by KarlMars, January 24, 2018, 07:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In your experience do people tell men to smile?

Yes
No
Rarely

KarlMars

It has always bothered me when men and women both told me to smile. I think that's something that's expected of women. In your experience do people still demand that men smile if they have a straight face?

Lady Sarah

It happened way too often. It was usually women that told me to smile. They no longer have to tell me to.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

Charlie Nicki

Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

Julia1996

I would say no. Unless it was a guy I knew, I wouldn't ever tell a guy to smile. If I see a mad or unhappy looking guy my instinct is to avoid him. Not talk to him.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Allison S

I've been told to my smile when presenting male. I think a couple different occasions. Once was at a bar in college by an older guy. I just thought it was none of his business. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

Kylo

Happened to me all the time as a kid.

I have not heard someone ask a man to smile specifically in the same way I was asked to back then. I think they were just doing it because someone spread a rumor that I was "the kid that never smiled". I smiled when I wanted to, just not for those berks.

Kids say and do things adults wouldn't. I don't think I've heard anyone tell a woman to smile to her face either - but girls? heard that a lot from boys and girls at my school.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

DawnOday

I've been told not to be so serious. But I would love to smile like a beauty contestant. There is something so reassuring about it. Like a warm hug. I think it is easier for women because their upper lip distance from the nose is shorter. I watch interviews with my therapist for clues in what gestures, nuances women display when they talk. I've studied Meryl Streep and Sally Fields and they smile to high heavens when they talk.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Anne Blake

Yes, but I did not know how to smile, now I can't stop smiling.
  •  

November Fox

Not in my experience.
In the "other times", I was told to smile on a weekly basis. Even if I felt like >-bleeped-< at the time. Since transitioning nobody has told me to smile.
  •  

Cassi

I think women are told more to smile because if you tell a guy who's not and looks mean, they might just kick your butt if you told them to smile.

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

AnamethatstartswithE

I went through a phase where I got that, at bars and clubs. I once had a professor who'd blanked on my name call me "the guy who never smiles"
  •  

Sarah_P

A number of our patrons at work over the years have said I should smile. I was only scowling back then, though.
--Sarah P

There's a world out there, just waiting
If you only let go what's inside
Live every moment, give it your all, enjoy the ride
- Stan Bush, The Journey

•  

KathyLauren

I used to get told to smile, especially when I was younger.  Now, I don't need to be told!   ;D
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •