Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

I need help. x3

Started by Aedan, February 05, 2018, 10:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm afraid that when I see a gender psychologist, I'm scared that I won't meet their needs to become a male. What questions will they ask me?

What will they ask?
0 (0%)
What will they do?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 12, 2018, 10:55:58 AM

Aedan

I've been trans ever since I could remember. I came out last year and my foster parents weren't very accepting of it. I'm turning 18 soon and am starting my transition as soon as I can. My first step is the gender psychologist. I'm afraid that I won't meet their needs to become a man. I'm scared that I'll have to stay in this body forever. I just want to know what questions they will ask. I'm going to 100% honest, but I'm just scared that they won't let me..be who I want to be. Who I need to be. Anything will help calm my nerves. Thank you.
  •  

Faith

If you get a therapist that decides for you, you need a new therapist. Therapy is about drawing you out and you confirming what you need and helping you face your issues that are involved in it.

The therapist could ask anything and everything that will help lead you to your own answers.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Jacqueline

Quote from: Aedan on February 05, 2018, 10:55:58 AM
I've been trans ever since I could remember. I came out last year and my foster parents weren't very accepting of it. I'm turning 18 soon and am starting my transition as soon as I can. My first step is the gender psychologist. I'm afraid that I won't meet their needs to become a man. I'm scared that I'll have to stay in this body forever. I just want to know what questions they will ask. I'm going to 100% honest, but I'm just scared that they won't let me..be who I want to be. Who I need to be. Anything will help calm my nerves. Thank you.

Hi Aedan,

Welcome to the site.

I totally agree with Faith. Therapists are not there to tell you, more to guide you. They help you through the maze and keep you from bad, irrevocable decisions.

I may move this topic into an introductions topic of our Youth Talk. I know you stated you are almost 18. However, we try to keep those under 18 in a spot where you can talk with others your own age.

I also want to share some links with you. They are mostly welcome links and the rules of the site.

Things that you should read

Once again, welcome to Susan's. Look around, ask questions and join in.

With warmth,

Jacqui
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

Elis

Both answers are spot on. With my gender therapist she asked general questions about my childhood etc; but for the most part I lead the conversation. Any qualified/reputable gender therapist will know that; same with cis people; not all fit into neat gender stereotypes.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

Aedan

Thank you all so much. This helps me a lot. <3
  •  

Dena

Welcome to Susan's Place. We often doubt that a therapist will find sufficient reason to treat us but unless there is some other complicating factor, we rarely have difficulty receiving treatment. Most of our fear is because we don't know what questions they will ask and we fear we will give the wrong answer. The questions aren't difficult or tricky but they are designed to help us understand ourselves. I have a link that might help you. It's "the transition channel" and the questions discussed in the videos are the same ones that were ask of me when I was in group therapy. I am sure that after the first visit or two your fear will be gone.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

rainification

All the answers are great. As for being scared you'll stay in your body forever, don't worry so much about that. It sounds cheesy and I don't know how much it helps, but there's hope for all of us trans folk to transition even if it doesn't seem like it and even if it's just a little bit of hope. We're fighting towards a better future for us all and a future where our identities are more validated. Keep holding on <3
"Sometimes the goal isn't to not be terrified but to be terrified and keep going anyways." -Freezing Paint

Coming out to parents on 03-14-2018
  •