Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Coming out as a transitioning person as a DoD Civilian

Started by adrianva, February 17, 2018, 02:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrianva

So, I work for the DoD (Navy) as a civilian and am looking to chat with others t who have transitioned, or are currently transitioning,  while at work.  I'm scheduled to start HRT in a few weeks and am wondering if I should go ahead and let my leadership know even though I won't be presenting as female for awhile.  I've already let my security folks know, but wasn't sure of protocol as far as letting other people know.

adrianva
  •  

Jessica

Hi Adrian 🙋 Welcome to Susan's Place!  I'm Jessica.  I have retired already, so I don't have any hands on experience.  What I have gathered from others is that letting management know early can give them time to set up sensitivity training or the like.  There are a number of people here who are going through going full time at work.  I'm sure some will chime in.
I see your new here, so I'll post some links that may help you get better acquainted with the site.
Please feel free to stop by the Introductions forum to tell the members about yourself.

Things that you should read

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

JulieAllana

Adrianva,
    I think that each organization is different.  I know of some people who go stealth until they just can't hide the physical changes anymore, but I would think talking to the HR department (or whatever the DoD equivalent is) would be a good idea.  I used to work as a DoD contractor for the Navy doing IT work, but I suppose it would be different for a contractor as an actual DoD employee.  @Jessica_Rose just came out at work in the last few days.  She might be a really good resource to talk to.  She just opened a forum thread on it.  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,234245.0.html

Keep us posted on what happens and good luck ;)

Julie
1/4/18 - Admission to self of trans - Start of transition
2/10/18 - First time out in public
2/12/18 - Ears Pierced
2/16/18 - Started Laser Hair removal on face
7/4/18 - Down 101 pounds since 1/4/18.  Maybe start HRT at 210-15
9/22/18 - Weighed in @207 (down 113 lbs) this morning.
10/1/18 - Started HRT

•  

Laurie

Hi Adrian,

I'm Laurie and have long been out ot the Navy. I know the VA has guidelines and procedures and so does the military themselves. I would the there would be similar  things in place with the DoD. If there is a website for them try searching on LGBTQ.
  Good Luck and welcome to Susan's Place.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Mountain Warfare Girl

I work for the Department of Veterans Affairs and just started my transition. There is a government memorandum that helps with people transitioning as makes a transition team to help you threw it with people from HR and EEO, I just had my first meeting with my team where I came out to my boss
  •