Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Lace Front Wigs

Started by Chelsea, March 09, 2018, 09:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelsea

While I wait for the next 18 months or so for my hair to grow out, does anyone know how to attach a lace front wig?  I have some cheap wigs and this will be my first lace one. Not sure how they blend the lace to make it look invisible.
Thanks everyone!

Hugs,
      Chelsea
First Therapy Appointment 2-26-18
Came Out To Sister 2-27-18
First Endocrinologist Appointment 3-7-18
Started HRT! 3-7-18
First Voice Therapy Appointment 4-23-18
Came out to my Brother!!!! 5-3-18
Came out to MOM!!!! 5-17-18

•  

KathyLauren

I just put mine on.  I brush my own hair (what little I have left) back and tuck it into a wig cap, so it won't be visisble.  Then I put on the wig, tidy the hair, and I'm good to go. 

I have several wigs, all of them with lace front.  There is no special technique required.  If you are experienced with other wigs, handling a lace front wig is no different.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Chelsea

Quote from: KathyLauren on March 09, 2018, 10:39:42 AM
I just put mine on.  I brush my own hair (what little I have left) back and tuck it into a wig cap, so it won't be visisble.  Then I put on the wig, tidy the hair, and I'm good to go. 

I have several wigs, all of them with lace front.  There is no special technique required.  If you are experienced with other wigs, handling a lace front wig is no different.

Great.  Thank you KathyLauren!

Hugs,
     Chelsea
Started HRT! 3-7-18

•  

islandgirl

I agree with KathyLauren. My latest is a lace front and I love it. Comb the hair in front and covers the lace. Very comfortable. Like any wig that I have had, you get what you pay for! My latest cost me a bit more but it is sure worth it. I am complimented on my hair on a regular basis. Very natural looking (different wig that one worn in my photo).
  •  

Chelsea

Thank you.  I have seen some videos on youtube as where they use some kind of glue on the lace.  I wasen't sure
if there is anything else needed to buy.

Hugs,
    Chelsea
Started HRT! 3-7-18

•  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Chelsea1807 on March 09, 2018, 11:54:36 AM
Thank you.  I have seen some videos on youtube as where they use some kind of glue on the lace.  I wasen't sure
if there is anything else needed to buy.

Hugs,
    Chelsea
Usually, the elastic is enough to hold it in place.  Glue is mostly for partial hairpieces, like toupees, where they can't have an elastic around your head.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

2.B.Dana

I had similar questions when I moved to a lace front wig. I had watched videos where wigs were "trimmed" along the lace edge. The stylist I worked with said inexpensive lace wigs can come with excessive lace that needs to be trimmed. The one I got happened to be by Gabor and it didn't have to be trimmed.

My initial wig was a standard cap and I did use glue and wig grips to maintain a good hold on the wig. After I switched to lace front I stopped that and only just put the wig on. Over time I have gotten comfortable with the feel and don't have a sensation like it's going somewhere all the time. The wigs have a memory and fit to your head after awhile and that helps with them staying put and being comfortable too.

One thing I had to figure out was skin rolls though. lol. I shave my head so ladies with hair may have a different situation. When I move my head in a way that creates bunched up skin on the back of my head it can cause the wig to feel odd and feel like it's shifting position. It isn't but the sensation drives me batty. I'm learning to move past it but for a bit it had me not liking my wig.

I also had to come to terms with hair and its length. That doesn't happen over night. Be sure to give yourself some time to grow accustomed to whatever it is that you buy. As one lady on  video said, it takes 4 wearings to own it, or it feels like yours.
Cheers,

Dana

•  

Sonja

Quote from: islandgirl on March 09, 2018, 11:21:16 AM
I agree with KathyLauren. My latest is a lace front and I love it. Comb the hair in front and covers the lace. Very comfortable. Like any wig that I have had, you get what you pay for! My latest cost me a bit more but it is sure worth it. I am complimented on my hair on a regular basis. Very natural looking (different wig that one worn in my photo).
Islandgirl - Hi, can I ask you What type of wig is your new one you're referring to ? synthetic, real hair? appreciated.

Sonja.
  •  

islandgirl

Hi Sonja! Yes, it is synthetic, Jon Renau. Style name is 'Heat'. I really like it and, when necessary, will replace it with the same. It can be heat stayed and has a thick 'head of hair'!
  •  

Jenntrans

With lace front wigs you have to use make up to blend everything in to look natural.

The best thing to do is go with a really good quality glue on wig with bangs You may pay up to 300 dollars or more for a human hair wig but they are way better than a synthetic 100 dollar wig. If you don't want to go that route then invest in a really good wig cap and cheaper wig and when your hair grows then deal with a short haircut for a while. Pixie cuts are cute. Bobs are cute too. OMG most guys go GA GA over shorter bangs. So get the wig and find a stylist that will make it the best for your face. Most wigs need to be styled or cut to fit your face. Bangs or a Fringe will hide a lot about whether you are wearing a wig or not.

I have had really long hair before and OMG the work that goes into it... Now I have a short bob and that is bad enough. Really long hair is a bitch to dry and if you use too much heat it damages your hair. I have naturally curly hair and it takes over two hours to air dry depending on the humidity. So it is either Frizzy or wet for that long But a wig always looks good if it is quality and you can still have a cute short bob or Pixie. I have used hot irons and the minute the humidity or get caught in the rain then it goes back.

This is the thing about your hair... Grow it hon and grow it long or cut it. Mine is way easier to tame with the waves and curls at chin length. Longer than that it gets way too unmanageable and unruly. Even when I had really long hair, it just did not look right even with a stylist and I cried when I had it cut but am happy with it now. So find a good stylist.
  •  

Michelle_P

My daily wear wigs are lace front synthetics. (Raquel Welch "Crowd Pleaser" in their pale honey, RL16/88)

I use a hypoallergenic wig tape,just a little piece about 2 inches by a half inch under the front center. This holds all day, even outdoors in the wind or on a 10 mile hike.  I do my makeup before donning the wig, and a light dusting of my bronzer along the lace is sufficient to "disappear" the wig.

All the hair I wear in public is this color and length. Based on comments I hear very few people know I wear a wig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Jenntrans

Chelsea. The better more natural your wig looks the more you are going to pay for it.

Lace front wigs are still wigs. When you get close to someone then they can tell. glue ons then you need to buzz your head and if you are waiting for your hair to grow then don't do that.

Most guys that I have ever run into like bangs. It is the mystery of hiding your forehead. I have always had bangs or a fringe.

My whole point is that if a guy can't handle you with short hair then leave him alone. Hairstyles change and what if a pixie comes into the main style and you decide to get your hair cut?

I will say long hair is a pain in the ass though. If you want it to look totally natural then glue ons are the best.

A lot of guys don't care if you are pretty and you seem to be. so Get the walk and talk and body language right because hair is the least of their worries unless they have a hair fetish. :embarrassed:
  •  

Chelsea

Quote from: Jenntrans on April 02, 2018, 06:08:13 PM
Chelsea. The better more natural your wig looks the more you are going to pay for it.

Lace front wigs are still wigs. When you get close to someone then they can tell. glue ons then you need to buzz your head and if you are waiting for your hair to grow then don't do that.

Most guys that I have ever run into like bangs. It is the mystery of hiding your forehead. I have always had bangs or a fringe.

My whole point is that if a guy can't handle you with short hair then leave him alone. Hairstyles change and what if a pixie comes into the main style and you decide to get your hair cut?

I will say long hair is a pain in the ass though. If you want it to look totally natural then glue ons are the best.

A lot of guys don't care if you are pretty and you seem to be. so Get the walk and talk and body language right because hair is the least of their worries unless they have a hair fetish. :embarrassed:

I am currently growing my hair out and really just wanted one for pictures until then. The one in my avatar is the newest lace I got. Also I do not plan on going out in public until I have my real hair. :)

Hugs,
        Chelsea
Started HRT! 3-7-18

•  

Jenntrans

Quote from: Chelsea1807 on April 02, 2018, 06:29:57 PM
I am currently growing my hair out and really just wanted one for pictures until then. The one in my avatar is the newest lace I got. Also I do not plan on going out in public until I have my real hair. :)

Hugs,
        Chelsea

OMFG. You got it gurl. Lookin' good.

If I guy can't handle short hair and with your facial features they can't, then to they are stupid.
  •  

Donna

I currently have two wigs. One is a lace front and the other is a standard cap Rachel Welch trend setter. I have a mesh head cap for underneath and it's made a world of difference. I can bend down to pick stuff up off the floor without my hair slipping. I currently have my real hair buzzed for the summer. It's a compromise thing for the grandkids for this year.
December 2015 noticed strange feelings moving in
December 2016 started to understand what my body has been telling me all my life, started wearing a bra for comfort full time
Spiro and dutastricide 2017
Mid year 2017 Started dressing and going out shopping etc by myself
October T 14.8 / 456
Came out to my wife in December 2017
January 2018 dressing androgenes and still have face hair
Feb 2018 Dressing full time in female clothing out at work and to friends and family, clean shaven and make up
Living full time March 1 2018
March T 7.4 / 236
April 19th eligard injection, no more Testosterone
June 19th a brand new freshly trained HRT and transgender care doctor for me. Only a one day waiting list to become her patient 😍

[/
  •  

SeptagonScars

I have one lace front wig, synthetic, black. I payed some 90 bucks for it, or so. It's definitely high enough quality for me. When I bought it it was hip long and very thick, so it wouldn't stay on my head without some wig tape, cause it was so heavy. So that's something to keep in mind: some lace front wigs, if very long and thick, can be too heavy to stay in place without something gluey between it and you.

I did however give mine a haircut, and reduced its mass by probably two thirds. It's now shoulder-blade length and thinner but looking better than ever and is light-weight enough to stay on my head without the tape. However I do secure it with lots of hair pins, as well as securing the wig cap with hair pins. Cause for some reason the wig cap slids off my head, and taking the wig with it, if I don't secure both with bobby pins, into my real hair and each other. The elastic around the wig is adjustable and even when I tighten it to the point of giving myself a headache, it doesn't help keeping it in place on its own. Maybe it's just my head that's weirdly slippery...

The way I go about putting it on is: brush through my hair (it's shoulder length), tie it up in a low bun, put on a wig cap and stuff in all the fly-around hairs and the bun. Then secure the wig cap with 5-6 bobby pins. Putting on the wig next and brushing it through, then securing it with 4-6 pins in the same colour as the wig and also try to hide them into the hair a bit. Then brush it through again and make sure it all looks good and neat.

However I plan on getting my head shaved in a few days (cause my hair is very damaged, ugly and I hate it) and after that's done I'll likely have to go back to using wig tape for securing my lace front and/or the wig cap. Unless I can figure out some other method.

As for the lace showing though, mine only shows very little as it's very close to my skintone in colour, so it only shows as a slight difference in texture. I don't put makeup on it to conceal it and it does fool people. Several people have told me they thought it was my natural hair and that they'd never even guess it was a wig until I told them. I show the lace part of my wig in a middle parting.

For wigs with bangs I don't bother with lace front, cause then the hairline doesn't show anyway.
Mar. 2009 - came out as ftm
Nov. 2009 - changed my name to John
Mar. 2010 - diagnosed with GID
Aug. 2010 - started T, then stopped after 1 year
Aug. 2013 - started T again, kept taking it since
Mar. 2014 - top surgery
Dec. 2014 - legal gender marker changed to male
Jul. 2018 - came out as cis woman and began detransition
Sep. 2018 - stopped taking T and changed my name to Laura
Oct. 2018 - got new ID-card

Medical Detransition plans: breast reconstruction surgery, change legal gender back to female.
  •