Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Could I be intersex?

Started by almondcoffee, March 12, 2018, 06:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

almondcoffee

I'm 17, AFAB, and somewhat curious about this. Could I be intersex, or is it just a coincidence that I have all these traits?

· I've always had a deeper than usual voice for a female, and sometimes/often get mistaken for a guy over the phone.

· In the same vein (when I had short hair, I don't any more so this no longer happens) I often had people mistaking me for a guy, even after hearing me speak.

· I have quite small breasts, small enough that when I went bra shopping a couple of days ago, my size literally didn't exist.

· I have large feet (AU 11), broad-ish shoulders, and am a little taller than average.

· Not sure this counts for much, but my ring finger is longer than my pointer finger, which is not the norm with women, is more typical of a male, and indicates a greater exposure to testosterone in the womb.

I do have my period and I think it's pretty standard, but because I used birth control to skip periods for a few years (I'm off of birth control now), I haven't had a whole lot of time to judge whether or not my periods are regular and normal. As far as I'm aware, my genitals look normal, but I could be wrong.

Here's the kicker - I started questioning my gender a few years ago (before thinking about the possibility of being intersex, which only started today). I loosely identified as non binary for a few years (don't really know what to call myself now), and have been a tomboy my whole life. For a while, I couldn't decide if I was FtM transgender, but I don't believe that I am. I'm honestly not sure what to think of myself. But all of these traits, mixed with the gender questioning, does make me wonder if there's any chance I'm intersex.

A little while ago during my gender questioning, (before the idea of intersex occurred to me) I remember thinking that I would somehow feel more comfortable with myself/my identity if I knew I was partially male on the inside.

Thoughts? Might this be worth looking into, or does it seem unlikely?

•  

Dani

A simple lab test on your DNA will tell you what you need to know. Also, a visit to an Endocrinologist to measure your natural hormone levels and to get an opinion on the results is a good idea.
  •  

Dknight

•  

natalie.ashlyne

it is a karyotype test it tests your chromosomes
  •  

josie76

A karyotype give you the chromosomes but no actual gene information. The karyotype will show if there is an extra chromosome or one missing. For the 23rd pair it can visually ID the presence of a Y chromosome. Gene sequencing tests are more expensive and much more specific in what they look for.
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•  

Doreen

Also keep in mind not all intersexed traits even are identifiable genetically. 

Mutations in the SRY gene have been identified in approximately 15 percent of individuals with Swyer syndrome.. Swyer syndrome can also be caused by mutations in the MAP3K1 gene; research indicates that mutations in this gene may account for up to 18 percent of cases.  https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/swyer-syndrome#genes

That's taken directly from a .gov study on it.. so for Swyers you're looking at 33-40?% having an identifiable genetic component.. which means over 60-70% there is no identifiable genetic cause behind this particular condition.   Androgen insensitivity is even trickier to diagnose for many.  I see a geneticist (finally!!!) on Monday for a more exhaustive genetic sequencing test to figure out what's behind my story, but I'm fully aware they might not find anything at all.  I think this is a very important item to remember if you plan on going this route. 

For most AFAB the most prevalent by far is PCOS, and even less so is CAH. Look into PCOS first, and if that's ruled out then there are more extensive tests to be done :) Hope this helps some.

Quote from: josie76 on April 14, 2018, 10:31:31 AM
A karyotype give you the chromosomes but no actual gene information. The karyotype will show if there is an extra chromosome or one missing. For the 23rd pair it can visually ID the presence of a Y chromosome. Gene sequencing tests are more expensive and much more specific in what they look for.
  •