Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Transgender people are born that way a new study has found

Started by stephaniec, March 15, 2018, 11:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amorphia

Quote from: GordonG on January 05, 2019, 09:22:04 PM
Can you give links to any of this scientific literature?

Apologies for the thread bump. I know I can't post links, but I'll post paper names and authors and make it very easy to get them.

For reference here, google also have an excellent academic search function called google scholar. So if you do searches like this on scholar dot google dot com, then you get to avoid all the non-academic stuff - useful as it cuts out all the media articles reporting on something (invariably without references!)

Regional gray matter variation in male-to-female transsexualism - Eileen Luders et al

and there is a good review article here:

Evidence Supporting the Biologic Nature of Gender Identity - Aruna Saraswat et al
  •  

HughE

Here's a useful collection of links to research showing that being transgender has its basis in prenatal brain development:

https://lizdaybyday.wordpress.com/2014/08/14/one-stop-trans-brain-research-list/

Autopsies have shown that there are certain sexually dimorphic brain regions where there are visible differences between the sexes in size and shape. When you look at those regions in trans people's brains, they more closely resemble those of cis people of the gender they identify as, rather than cis people of their assigned sex at birth. I'm of the opinion that the differences aren't confined to just these few small brain regions though, but there are probably subtle differences at the microscopic level between the way male and female brains are wired up, that extend all the way through the brain, and that affect just about every thing the brain does.

Experiments on animals have shown that it's easy to produce animals with a brain that is intersex, or even completely sex reversed, just by administering hormones to the pregnant mother. That suggests that being trans is the result of atypical hormone levels during our prenatal development (or genetic anomalies that mimic the effects of atypical hormone levels).

Unfortunately, the pharmaceutical industry hasn't properly appreciated the importance of hormones during prenatal development in determining which sex you develop as (and particularly, the future sex of your brain). For over 70 years, they've been promoting artificial female hormones (estrogens and progestins) to pregnant women as treatments for preventing miscarriages and premature births. Many of us MTF and transfeminine people in the over 40s age bracket were exposed to an artificial estrogen called DES, however I'm of the opinion that the effect isn't limited to DES, and it's likely that any medical use of hormones in pregnancy runs the risk of producing a transgender child. This would explain why more and more trans people are being born, even though DES was phased out 40 years ago. Some of the progestin class of hormones have also been shown to be capable of inducing male development in female fetuses, so medical hormones could also be a cause of FTM transgender.
  •  

DKTGSupport

I saw a documentary called : What Makes A Woman ? With Munroe Bergdorf.
She talks to alot of people about the topic and at the ending 39:00 she travels to Germany where she's been told that there are something(brain or gene) that says she's transgender.

Quote from: GordonG on January 05, 2019, 09:22:04 PM
Can you give links to any of this scientific literature?
Quote from: skipulus on January 06, 2019, 09:37:40 AM
Yes please me too
Quote from: JanePlain on April 16, 2019, 09:37:09 AM
I don't think I've done 500 posts so I won't try to post links but these studies can be found with duckduckgo or other google like search engines.

I found several papers that agree that people who id themselves as transexual have certain parts of the brain that match who they ID with which is 180 degrees from their "naughty bits."  I seriously wish that folks in science would study some history to find that every generation has a large percentage that think agreement is the gold standard of science and are regularly proven wrong.  Today we have a large group that all agree trans people are pervs or mental patients so it must be true.  I think bringing attention to these male / female brain studies and encouraging larger studies would do much to reduce the idiotic masses saying these things.

Doesn't living on a tiny speck in the solar system which is a tiny speck in the galaxy which is a tiny speck in the universe and knowing we have never been anywhere else kind of hint we don't know everything?  Based on that I think science should be a little bit more humble?  How long has it been since we had dirt floors and the fastest way to get from point to point was a horse?

I once remarked that anyone who would willingly go through all the "tortures' of surgery, hair removal etc etc etc should be given the benefit of the doubt.  Right?
"I wish there was another sex, a neutral one. One with no parts. One that was outside of the whole reproduction thing. Then people would never even see me as an option. That would be really nice."

Genderrelated accounts : AVEN / Youtube
  •  

jkredman

Quote from: DKTGSupport on May 30, 2019, 05:19:30 PM
I saw a documentary called : What Makes A Woman ? With Munroe Bergdorf.
She talks to alot of people about the topic and at the ending 39:00 she travels to Germany where she's been told that there are something(brain or gene) that says she's transgender.

A review:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/may/16/what-makes-a-woman-review-a-show-that-asked-extraordinarily-complex-questions

The actual show

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/what-makes-a-woman/on-demand/67900-001

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kate
  •  

Michelle_P

A number of people have asked for links to actual studies, peer reviewed articles, and such.  Here is a good starter set to introduce the current state of research:

Links for online articles:

Beyond XX and XY: The Extraordinary Complexity of Sex Determination
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/beyond-xx-and-xy-the-extraordinary-complexity-of-sex-determination/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sa-editorial-social&utm_content=&utm_term=

Funct Neurol. 2009 Jan-Mar;24(1):17-28.
Sexual differentiation of the human brain in relation to gender identity and sexual orientation.
Swaab DF1, Garcia-Falgueras A.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19403051

"Are the Brains of Transgender People Different from Those of Cisgender People?"
"The Scientist", March 2018, Shawna Williams
https://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/51914/title/Are-the-Brains-of-Transgender-People-Different-from-Those-of-Cisgender-People-/

"Sex redefined", "Nature", 18 February 2015, Claire Ainsworth
https://www.nature.com/news/sex-redefined-1.16943#/spectrum

The September 2017 issue of Scientific American has a number of articles on gender and the brain.

Transsexual gene link identified
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7689007.stm

"Gender & Sexuality"
http://www.annefaustosterling.com/fields-of-inquiry/gender/

Assorted Publications on the Topic...
G. Spizzirri et al, "Grey and white matter volumes either in treatment-naïve or hormone-treated transgender women: a voxel-based morphometry study", Scientific Reports Volume 8, Article number: 736 (2018)
A.-M. Bao, D.F. Swaab, "Sexual differentiation of the human brain: Relation to gender identity, sexual orientation and neuropsychiatric disorders," Front Neuroendocrin, 32:214-26, 2011.
J.-N. Zhou et al., "A sex difference in the human brain and its relation to transsexuality," Nature, 378:68-70, 1995.
F.P. Kruijver, "Male-to-female transsexuals have female neuron numbers in a limbic nucleus," J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 85:2034-41, 2000.
A. Garcia-Falgueras, D. Swaab, "A sex difference in the hypothalamic uncinate nucleus: relationship to gender identity," Brain, 131:3132-46, 2008.
S.M. Burke et al., "Male-typical visuospatial functioning in gynephilic girls with gender dysphoria—organizational and activational effects of testosterone," J Psychiatry Neurosci, 41:395-404, 2016.
G.S. Kranz et al., "White matter microstructure in transsexuals and controls investigated by diffusion tensor imaging," J Neurosci, 34:15466-75, 2014.
E. Hoekzema et al., "Regional volumes and spatial volumetric distribution of gray matter in the gender dysphoric brain," Psychoneuroendocrino, 55:59-71, 2015.
L. Zubiaurre-Elorza et al., "Cortical thickness in untreated transsexuals," Cereb Cortex, 23:2855-62, 2013.
A. Guillamon et al., "A review of the status of brain structure research in transsexualism," Arch Sex Behav, 45:1615-48, 2016.
J. Junger et al., "More than just two sexes: the neural correlates of voice gender perception in gender dysphoria," PLOS ONE, 9:e111672, 2014.
I. Savic, S. Arver, "Sex dimorphism of the brain in male-to-female transsexuals," Cereb Cortex, 21:2525-33, 2011.
J.D. Feusner et al., "Intrinsic network connectivity and own body perception in gender dysphoria," Brain Imaging Behav, 11:964-76, 2017.
E.S. Smith et al., "The transsexual brain—A review of findings on the neural basis of transsexualism," Neurosci Biobehav R, 59:251-66, 2015.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •