Main Menu

Can you evaluate my voice?

Started by jenpa, March 17, 2018, 07:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenpa

I am a 48 year old MtF transsexual. Here is a sound file I uploaded:

https://soundcloud.com/jen-in-pa/2018-03-17-16-42-34a

This is the text I chose. It was from a WAPO article I was reading online:

"The walkouts taking place at thousands of schools across the nation were viewed by some as politically divisive."

Please tell my voice sounds like that of a cis woman. I have told myself I can get a new car when I finally have a feminine voice like a cis woman, as a reward. I need a new car to see my doctors, since they are 4 hours away, pick up my mail, etc. My current car has been totaled since December. I have to rent a car each time I need one, and that is getting expensive. My confidence will soar once I have my voice in line, as this is the one thing that has been holding me back my entire life.

--------

EDIT: Also, if I make my track above on Sound Cloud private, will the link I share here still work for you guys?
  •  

Harley Quinn

I am no expert by far, but it sounds like you're trying to force the pitch too high and it gives you a harsh "edge" to your voice.  Have you worked with a Speech Pathologist?  They can set you up with a program to train a slightly higher pitch while maintaining a natural resonance which would help it sound less "sharp" and more "melodic".  But it's not bad.  Just a little abrasive, like it would hurt my throat if I tried to maintain it for more than a couple minutes.
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •  

Jessica

Hi Jenpa 🙋‍♀️ Welcome to Susan's Place!  I'm Jessica.  Your voice is definitely not masculine.  I do tend to agree with Harley that the pitch sounds a bit forced, but not to bad.
It appears you have been member for a few years and before links to the site were given when you joined.  So I'll post them for you in case things aren't as familiar as before.
I'm glad your hear! Join in on a topic you find interesting and learn and share.

Things that you should read

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

jenpa

Quote from: Harley Quinn on March 17, 2018, 07:47:35 PM
I am no expert by far, but it sounds like you're trying to force the pitch too high and it gives you a harsh "edge" to your voice.  Have you worked with a Speech Pathologist?  They can set you up with a program to train a slightly higher pitch while maintaining a natural resonance which would help it sound less "sharp" and more "melodic".  But it's not bad.  Just a little abrasive, like it would hurt my throat if I tried to maintain it for more than a couple minutes.

Thanks so much Harley! The only thing I have done is watch a ton of YouTube voice videos. They all say pretend you are swallowing or get the voice in your mouth as opposed to your chest. A high pitch is good, but you also need resonance (i.e. a ciswoman-sized voice box/throat). I have tried everything, but I can't get that aspect down.

Back in my day when I first transitioned in the early 90's, there was nothing like all the videos and forums there now.

I will try a speech coach. The only problem is I feel that I will fail and just be wasting my money. I will give it a try though! Maybe for once things will work.
  •  

jenpa

Quote from: Jessica on March 17, 2018, 07:54:36 PM
Hi Jenpa 🙋‍♀️ Welcome to Susan's Place!  I'm Jessica.  Your voice is definitely not masculine.  I do tend to agree with Harley that the pitch sounds a bit forced, but not to bad.
It appears you have been member for a few years and before links to the site were given when you joined.  So I'll post them for you in case things aren't as familiar as before.
I'm glad your hear! Join in on a topic you find interesting and learn and share.

Things that you should read

Thanks Jenna for your help and also the links. Yes I am an old member but have not come here too much. I hope to participate more often. You seem very kind and welcoming!
  •  

Harley Quinn

Many insurances in the US cover speech therapy.  I had the benefit of being able to see one at the Veteran's Hospital.  It helped me a lot.  I have lapsed recently on my practicing, but you can get all the fundamentals in about 5 sessions.  I have a whole  binder filled with lessons that they went over for me to work on.  It was night and day after the 5 weeks.
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •  

jenpa

Quote from: Harley Quinn on March 17, 2018, 08:40:52 PM
Many insurances in the US cover speech therapy.  I had the benefit of being able to see one at the Veteran's Hospital.  It helped me a lot.  I have lapsed recently on my practicing, but you can get all the fundamentals in about 5 sessions.  I have a whole  binder filled with lessons that they went over for me to work on.  It was night and day after the 5 weeks.

Very, very nice! That inspires me, so I know it can work.

FTR, I have both Medicare and Medicaid for my insurances. I don't think speech therapy is covered, but I can check.
  •  

Harley Quinn

Quote from: jenpa on March 17, 2018, 08:49:30 PM
Very, very nice! That inspires me, so I know it can work.

FTR, I have both Medicare and Medicaid for my insurances. I don't think speech therapy is covered, but I can check.
Medicaid covers it.
  •  

jenpa

Quote from: Harley Quinn on March 17, 2018, 08:56:58 PM
Medicaid covers it.

Are you serious?! That is great news! Now I just have to find a person who takes it. Thank you!
  •  

alex82

Although I am a native English speaker I didn't understand what was being said because it's so strained, but I don't think it sounds like a woman. To me it sounds like a man doing a parody (I choose that word deliberately, as opposed to approximation) of a woman's voice.

If it really bothers you, then look for professional speech therapy because there is no way that voice can be carried through life, let alone into a professional workplace. In my opinion, a voice that is questionably male would be more convincingly female than that. But it's entirely up to you.
  •  

jenpa

Quote from: alex82 on March 17, 2018, 10:42:49 PM
Although I am a native English speaker I didn't understand what was being said because it's so strained, but I don't think it sounds like a woman. To me it sounds like a man doing a parody (I choose that word deliberately, as opposed to approximation) of a woman's voice.

If it really bothers you, then look for professional speech therapy because there is no way that voice can be carried through life, let alone into a professional workplace. In my opinion, a voice that is questionably male would be more convincingly female than that. But it's entirely up to you.

Thank you for your honesty. I will try to get professional help. It's just so disappointing that I can't do any better than that on my own. I have trouble doing a lot of things, and I worry that if I am this bad off, than coaching is barely going to help.
  •  

alex82

Quote from: jenpa on March 17, 2018, 11:06:49 PM
Thank you for your honesty. I will try to get professional help. It's just so disappointing that I can't do any better than that on my own. I have trouble doing a lot of things, and I worry that if I am this bad off, than coaching is barely going to help.

I'm sure it will all come good. Keep going forward. I wish you all the best.
  •  

jenpa

Quote from: alex82 on March 17, 2018, 11:48:32 PM
I'm sure it will all come good. Keep going forward. I wish you all the best.

Awww...thanks girlie!
  •  

OU812

I have to agree with Alex. It's almost a caricature sound, largely because you're forcing the voice up to 240hz+ which is much higher than it needs to be or would ever sit naturally given your current physiology. Frankly it doesn't even matter what your pitch is if the resonance is correct. Seeing a SLP is definitely a good idea!

Meantime, go listen to some Kate Mulgrew, Whoopi Goldberg, or other low-pitch female voice actresses and start by trying to imitate them. Don't try to go higher, at least initially. Focus on larynx position and prosody. I swear, people on this forum would be amazed if they realized how low the pitch of many popular / commercial female voice actresses really is.

How low have I heard them go?
Mulgrew - 100hz, seldom over 200hz
Many - 110-125hz
So common it's not even remarkable - 130-145hz

•