Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

When and how to tell teen age kids

Started by Karen, March 25, 2018, 10:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

Hi.   I would d value everyone's perspective. 

I am about 50 with teen age kids.   My wife has been supportive so far, and as we see how far I need to or choose take my transition.   We are taking it one layer at a time with me fitting into my life little things like light make up, underwear, and women s jeans that let me align a bit between my insight and outside.   I have also been doing laser hair for while. One layer at a time.   We also have a couple of close friends that know I and we are figuring things out. 

My question...should I tell my kids I am dealing with gender Dysphoria and am working it through?   Or wait until I have a definite outcome.   

My therapist suggested it to consider.  Vs telling them I am transitioning.    My kids are amazingly loving and open, with them still figuring out their own selves. 

I don't want to lie to them on one hand, and I don't want to hurt them either. 
Karen

* felt different like I did not fit, with strong feminine feelings and gender questions my entire life
* Sept 2016 - January 2017 real began to seriously question and research gender
* August 2017 friend explains transgender and gender vs sexual orientation, and immediately felt shock and begin to believe I maybe transgender
* March 2018 after 3 therapists, accepts I am transgender and am transitioning
* July 18, 2018 began HRT
* Feb 4, 2019 began Estrogen
  •  

Gertrude

I would say the younger the better the older they get the more social conditioned they become and if they need social acceptance to be accepted in terms of conservative norms, it can be interesting. I came out to my kids at Christmas. Ages 12,14,19,21 and 22. The kids were fine with it, my wife was another story. Talk to her first about it. I've always been libertarian with my kids and it showed. You know your kids, so you should have an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •