Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Wait times for court date in Virginia

Started by AnamethatstartswithE, March 25, 2018, 08:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnamethatstartswithE

So I'm looking to go full time within the next. Month or two. How long does it take to get a court date for a name change? Also do you need the gender change court order if you were born in a different state? Or is that only for updating a Virginia B.C.?

Thanks.
  •  

jill610

Your best bet is probably to talk to a lawyer or I think lambda legal has some info on this. For me in PA, it's 90 days to get a court date but the gender marker change on my drivers license just required a letter from a doctor or therapist. I'm from Ohio so SOL on changing my birth certificate at the moment.

•  

Arianna Valentine

Quote from: AnamethatstartswithE on March 25, 2018, 08:37:27 PM
So I'm looking to go full time within the next. Month or two. How long does it take to get a court date for a name change? Also do you need the gender change court order if you were born in a different state? Or is that only for updating a Virginia B.C.?

Thanks.
Virginia I'm not sure here in Kentucky I went to the clerks office paid 68.50 got the name change submitted within I believe 2 weeks I had my new name no court date or anything gender change I think is a little more involved as I haven't reached that one yet but when I find out I'll let you know or if you find out please let me know I was born in a different state than kentucky lol.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
If you can't accept yourself,  how can you expect others to accept you?

curious about me:  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,218617.new.html#new
  •  

Maybebaby56

Applications for name change in Virginia must be filed with the Circuit Court of the city or county in which you reside. I had to apply to the Fairfax County Circuit Court.  The fee is now $41.

They will either mail you your signed court order, or the court may choose to schedule a hearing. It usually takes a few weeks.

I believe you need a separate court order for a gender change in Virginia. I was born in California, so I used their forms and requirements.  There is an excellent "how to" guide for name and gender changes in Virginia at https://b.3cdn.net/advancement/5cf6955679cdac404a_bym6bah6d.pdf.

Hope that helps.

~Terri
"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives" - Annie Dillard
  •  

sarah1972

Quote from: Maybebaby56 on May 28, 2018, 08:43:46 AM
Applications for name change in Virginia must be filed with the Circuit Court of the city or county in which you reside. I had to apply to the Fairfax County Circuit Court.  The fee is now $41.

They will either mail you your signed court order, or the court may choose to schedule a hearing. It usually takes a few weeks.

I believe you need a separate court order for a gender change in Virginia. I was born in California, so I used their forms and requirements.  There is an excellent "how to" guide for name and gender changes in Virginia at https://b.3cdn.net/advancement/5cf6955679cdac404a_bym6bah6d.pdf.

Hope that helps.

~Terri
Thanks - good to know. Fairfax will be my court too. Last I checked it was around $100, but that may have included the Gender change...

•  

Hikari

My experience was after about a week the judge sent me a letter asking for additional clarification on my reasoning for changing my name as being transgender only explained a change in first name and I changed first middle and last. So I submit my thought process on why I wanted it all changed about about 3 weeks after I get the court order for a name change in the mail. This was with Spotsylvania county.

There is now a form for a change of gender for the BC, but I believe you still need a court order, Srs is two months off for me so I will have to figure out that process soon lol, but my understanding is you can mail the Richmond circuit court and initiate the process remotely which is nice as I live on the west coast now.

The SSA was a breeze to change names/gender with and the form they print out and the DMV form you can change gender marker/name on the license which took about a week and a half for me, it was quite quick.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •