Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

VFS advise please

Started by Rachel, March 31, 2018, 03:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rachel

Hello, I scheduled a glottoplasty for May 14, 2018 with Dr. Sataloff in Philly.

My questions
Is Dr. Kim's results such that you would go to Korea and have him perform the operation and forsake all other surgeons?

Are you unsure of other surgeons or lack of knowledge of other surgeons outcomes such that going to Dr. Kim is an obvious choice to you?

Those that went to another surgeon, did you consider Dr. Kim and why did you not go to him? 

Do you use falsetto with your base pitch? Or has your base voice been increased to a higher range, 200 or higher HZ?

Background
December 2017 I had a Sataloff cricoid thyroid subluxation procedure with Dr. Sataloff. This is where the cricoid cartledge is placed behind the thyroid cartledge and fastened. He told me I would increase my HZ about 30 HZ and lock out my lower HZ. I went from 135 base HZ to 160-165 base HZ. My lower HZ are locked out. The operation worked as told to me.

Presently I am working with his speech pathologist and having some good success and practicing in my car to and from work. I now can go from 160 to 185 HZ. If I go higher I have a rest then falsetto. Falsetto I can go very high easily. I never really pushed it but 350 HZ can be done with ease.

The vocal rest between my 185 HZ and Falsetto is decreasing with practicing higher pitch. Basically I do exercised to stretch my vocal folds and open the back of my throat and raise my pallet.

Glottoplasty
Dr. Sataloff said he could use a laser or use micro instruments. I said I wanted micro instruments and he agreed. He said the last stich is the most important to prevent over healing where the two folds meet. He said I would have a 25 HZ increase in pitch unless I raised my upper pitch through practice. 185 to 190 HZ base would be great. If I increased my upper pitch I can have some articulation HZ. My voice is still healing and getting smoother from the previous operation.

I had previously scheduled a glottoplasty with a doctor in up state New York and cancelled. I spoke to a doctor outside of Boston and sis not choose him for the procedure. I have heard of some issues with patients from both of these doctors. Perhaps I am incorrect in my thoughts. 

HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

Dena

You never want to use a Falsetto voice as it's pretty uncontrollable. Instead you want to use the head voice as it gives you the pitch change and helps with the sound quality. The problem with this advice is the surgery you already have. I think it may have locked you in the head voice so your voice is what it is. If I am correct about this, you would use your natural lower voice which is now a head voice. You need to discuss this with your doctor to determine exactly were you are and what the correct way to use your voice is.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •