Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Favorite Fragrances?

Started by SammyHatesGreenEggs, April 08, 2018, 07:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NC_Sarah

Try a decent patchouli, like aged patchouli in Guerlains Extract or their Idylle Duet Rose patchouli. Nahema is amazing and their La Petite Robe Noire EDP is perfect. I still wear Habit Rouge but need to pick up a bottle of their Extract, they only sell it in their Paris store which is a pain, but a good excuse for a detour when I get back.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

"Long after one has forgotten what a woman wore, the memory of her perfume lingers."
  •  

NC_Sarah

I love fragrance, I spent a long time in Paris and London so I lean more to European scents, many American scents are different and tailored to the US market. There are some amazing American scents, DS and Durga does amazing niche fragrances and the couple are very approachable and you can find their scents in a lot of stores now.

https://dsanddurga.com/

If you're interested in more European, check out

https://www.penhaligons.com/

Or Floris, they will do custom fragrances for you. https://www.florislondon.com/en_usd they have been doing bespoke fragrances since 1730

"Long after one has forgotten what a woman wore, the memory of her perfume lingers."
  •  

NC_Sarah

I think one of the reasons I love perfume was the quote from Jaques Guerlain,

"Perfume is the memory of a woman when she has left the room."

Scent is magical, modern day alchemy.

•  

SammyHatesGreenEggs

Great information NC Rose!  I was looking at the DS and Durga website.  The marketing alone has me very intrigued (which, I guess, is the point of marketing).  I also like that you can be a customized sampler set.  It drives me crazy when super expensive perfumes seem to expect you to buy a bottle without any ability to smell it first.
  •  

NC_Sarah

Penhaligons send decent samples for free, most places don't do a sample you can wear. DS& Durga are also good, you can also find them in stores too. Each perfume they make tells a story which I love.

•  

NC_Sarah

I saw a mention about going with EDP (perfume) over EDT which is a good idea, it's also worth mentioning that most perfumes marketed to the US market can be quite different between the different concentrations. Givenchy is a good example, the same perfume can have different notes between, EDT and EDP. Try a sample before you buy. Any good niche perfume should provide samples and enough of a quantity that you can wear it and see how it smells as it shifts between it's notes.

It may seem like a lot of money, but it's worth it over time, a good fragrance should last a long time with just a small amount. As it goes through stages, from the Head notes, through to the base you get a vastly different experience over a long time. Two of my faves (Sartorial and Lothair) last through to the next day. A bottle also lasts a long time. I have had a bottle of Sartorial for 4 years now, so it's more than worth the price.

I also don't think of gender when it comes to perfume, I find it funny when I tell men who say the essence of masculinity is Old Spice, that it's base notes are Geranium and White pepper. It was originally marketed as a womens fragrance in the 20's. Most mens fragrances over 50 years ago, were nearly all floral. Cary Grants signature scent was Rose based. So don't limit yourself to just a feminine perfume, if you find a fragrance that's marketed to men or is unisex, try it. If you love it, wear it and totally own it :-)

One of my fave old school fragrances is Shallamar, it was a ground breaking fragrance of it's day and many modern day fragrances grew from Shallamar's influence. Its vanilla and aged patchouli and I found a bottle in my local Wallgreens and very cheap. It's a classic and I wear it round the house.

Another thing worth noting, cultural differences. Chanel Blue was developed for the American market, it doesn't sell well in Europe (at all) there are so many differences between cultures that it's worth looking outside of the popular fragrances and look at scents from perfume houses from England or France. They are so different from what you are familiar with that you may find something extraordinary.

Ok, I have to admit, I am a perfume geek. I love fragrance. I love to know who the perfumer was, other scents they have made and what was their inspiration. Perfume is an art form.
  •  

Janes Groove

Estee Lauder - Beautiful and Pleasures

J'Adore (but it's so expensive)

White Shoulders

Windsong

Ann Taylor - Ann

Coty - Exclamation Noir (I just can't help myself)
  •