Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Has anyone here comfortably come out at a particularly masculine job?

Started by 4A-GZE, April 08, 2018, 06:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4A-GZE

One of the things I'm dreading is coming out to my coworkers. I work in junk removal, and they're all fairly tough, manly men. To be honest, they're the textbook definition of toxic masculinity. I pretty much have to keep a straight face and never admit when something is too heavy for me. The thing is, though, I LOVE the job itself. It's just my coworkers that I'm worried about. I know a few of them are pretty blatantly transphobic anyway, so there's that.

I feel like my only options are to either never come out and just wear a binder if and when I transition, or to move to a new area and start out as a woman at a different location. Losing this job is not something I would like to consider.
  •  

Gertrude

What are the policies where you work RE harassment and discrimination? What about where you live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Donna

It's a tough thing to deal with. I work in building maintenance, snow removal and pressure washing services these all require hard heavy work and I've had no issues so far and the people in charge don't care as long as the work gets done. If your coworker are transphobic that may prove difficult but it could also be just macho talk. I was the same way just to hide my true self and I've know others that did the same. I don't know about you but i know there is no way I could go on living on both sides of the line. Worse comes to worse maybe a new job is in your future but don't write anyone off yet. Good luck
December 2015 noticed strange feelings moving in
December 2016 started to understand what my body has been telling me all my life, started wearing a bra for comfort full time
Spiro and dutastricide 2017
Mid year 2017 Started dressing and going out shopping etc by myself
October T 14.8 / 456
Came out to my wife in December 2017
January 2018 dressing androgenes and still have face hair
Feb 2018 Dressing full time in female clothing out at work and to friends and family, clean shaven and make up
Living full time March 1 2018
March T 7.4 / 236
April 19th eligard injection, no more Testosterone
June 19th a brand new freshly trained HRT and transgender care doctor for me. Only a one day waiting list to become her patient 😍

[/
  •  

heather3791

Hi Lyra. I'm in the same boat. Well sort of. I work with a bunch of macho rough guys as well. However I'm actually their boss. If I ever come out to them it will be interesting to see how many bolt for another gig or choose to stay on with me. I know in your situation it will be more challenging dealing with co-workers and gaining their acceptance. I wish you the best of luck with everything...I'm sure you'll be fine. Please keep us posted on your progress!

-Heather
  •