News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

"coming out" (hate that term) on Facebook and Social Media HELP

Started by mortiis34, April 09, 2018, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortiis34

Hi lovelies. It's that time..

I start HRT at the end of next month (it was the soonest that I could get an appointment with the gender clinic here in Melbourne).

I would like to know what most of you did when you first began transitioning in regards to Facebook (and perhaps other such social media) - did you create a completely new profile, or just update your original profile with new name without warning and watch all your friends dwindle away lol (which is what I believe will happen to me).

I am thinking of doing the above method, but perhaps posting an update before I do it, as to "huge changes in my life" etc.
I have told literally NOBOODY I know apart from my flatmate and psychologist.

Please let me know your thoughts, recommendations and tips which worked for y'all.

XX

(Oh, I have settled upon a name, finally!!)
41 Year old Author from Melbourne, Australia.
  •  

Tammy Jade

I did a coming out post on Facebook.
All in all I now have more friends then I did then..

I lost a couple but also got a lot more support then I expected.

Iv included a link to my post fee free to check it out.. it may give you some ideas.

https://www.facebook.com/tamara.jade.brice/posts/1393723297384588

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Tamara Jade

** The Meaning of Life?? Is to find the Meaning of Life **
  •  

mortiis34

Quote from: Tammy Jade on April 09, 2018, 09:35:34 PM

Iv included a link to my post fee free to check it out.. it may give you some ideas.

An incredible post, I may do something very similar, but tailored to myself (of course).

As 50% of my facebook friends have never physically met me, I am guessing most of them will not care less, and those that DO are worth losing, and should never have been there in the first place ;)
41 Year old Author from Melbourne, Australia.
  •  

StacyRenee

I created an all new Facebook account (the account name will carry the name you first sign up with as the Facebook extension. I.e. www.facebook.com/stacyrenee179 as apposed to www.facebook.com/johnsmith27904.) <Both are examples only, NOT REAL FACEBOOK ACCOUNTS>

I didn't want my deadname still lingering around.

I posted a letter of sorts, telling everyone that I'm transgender and linked my new Facebook account. I then asked all of my friends that supported me to send a friend request to me at me at my new account.

Realizing that some people may not follow me, I waited a week and then sent friend requests from my new account to those that hadn't sent me one. As a last attempt I messaged the few last people with a link to my original post.

After all three attempts, only 2 people out of about 50 still never sent friend requests.

My suggestion is to try not to hover, as many people took several days to respond.

Good luck!
  •  

Donna

I changed my photo and my name and let the poop hit the fan. Most of it came back on my wife so I blocked everyone for now until I rethink the whole social media thing. Not a great move but I learned. Then I had to fix Instagram as well, damn I hate social media.
December 2015 noticed strange feelings moving in
December 2016 started to understand what my body has been telling me all my life, started wearing a bra for comfort full time
Spiro and dutastricide 2017
Mid year 2017 Started dressing and going out shopping etc by myself
October T 14.8 / 456
Came out to my wife in December 2017
January 2018 dressing androgenes and still have face hair
Feb 2018 Dressing full time in female clothing out at work and to friends and family, clean shaven and make up
Living full time March 1 2018
March T 7.4 / 236
April 19th eligard injection, no more Testosterone
June 19th a brand new freshly trained HRT and transgender care doctor for me. Only a one day waiting list to become her patient 😍

[/
  •  

krobinson103

Did that a month ago. A few surprised reactions then it all went away. Mostly positive comments. Sure gets the fear of people finding out sorted.
Every day is a totally awesome day
Every day provides opportunities and challenges
Every challenge leads to an opportunity
Every fear faced leads to one more strength
Every strength leads to greater success
Success leads to self esteem
Self Esteem leads to happiness.
Cherish every day.
  •  

Maddie86

I plan on coming out in a few weeks and I plan on doing a whole new page, but like others have done I'm going to make an announcement on my old one. I can't wait to get rid of my old one lol
  •  

KathyLauren

When I first started transitioning, I opened a new (temporary) Facebook account for my new identity, while keeping the old male one alive.  Be really careful if you do that, so that FB doesn't figure out that you are the same person: use different browsers or different devices for the two accounts, and allow NO friends in common between the two.  Otherwise FB will out you be suggesting your new name as a 'friend' to your old friends.

When I was ready to come out to the world, I posted a coming out notice on my male FB account.  Then, a few hours later, I changed my name and photo on it.  There is an option, buried somewhere in Settings, to change your FB username, which I did, so my page no longer has my deadname in the URL.

Finally, I transferred membership in my support group's FB page from my temporary to my regular account, informed my friends there that they could find me on the other account, and then closed down the temporary one.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

MeTony

I only have one account. I will change my name when it is time. Those who want to unfriend me are free to do so.

Too much work keeping two accounts.

I was smart in 2009 when I registered that I only used my last name and numbers on my fb address.
  •  

Rachel

I started a FB account with my name when I started to transition. I locked it up. I guess I could review my security settings and loosen it up a bit. None of my family, childhood friends or cousins requested to be friends. I guess it is time for me to put a pic on Facebook too.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

Kylo

I never use my real name or info on FB anyway (including photos), I use it strictly to communicate with friends (i.e. real friends, not acquaintances or family members or anyone likely to delete me for some opinion they don't like) so no need to change anything on there. I didn't "come out" on there, I also hate this term and the idea of making a fuss about coming out to people, but it did happen inadvertently when I had a wall conversation there with someone on a slightly related topic which most of the friends read; in this conversation was a small line about me and my status... the bright ones picked up on it right away, some of the others are still oblivious.

If I was using a real name and wanted to switch gender but control who saw it, I'd make a new account under the new name and invite people from the old account to join the new one and say I was now using that. If they were cool about it, great. If not, sod 'em.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

ReplacementSarah

Quote from: StacyRenee on April 09, 2018, 10:12:49 PM
I created an all new Facebook account (the account name will carry the name you first sign up with as the Facebook extension. I.e. www.facebook.com/stacyrenee179 as apposed to www.facebook.com/johnsmith27904.) <Both are examples only, NOT REAL FACEBOOK ACCOUNTS>

Facebook now actually lets you change your username in the settings. I preemptively did this, though I'm not quite ready to change my name on there, yet.
  •  

StacyRenee

Quote from: ReplacementSarah on April 10, 2018, 03:32:57 PM
Facebook now actually lets you change your username in the settings. I preemptively did this, though I'm not quite ready to change my name on there, yet.
Does the username change the extension now? Many of my friends have gotten married and changed their name on Facebook. But I noticed that the web address extension is their maiden name. May have changed when they added gender identities besides the binary.
  •  

ReplacementSarah

Quote from: StacyRenee on April 10, 2018, 08:27:32 PM
Does the username change the extension now? Many of my friends have gotten married and changed their name on Facebook. But I noticed that the web address extension is their maiden name. May have changed when they added gender identities besides the binary.

Your name and username are two different settings. Changing your name won't automatically change your username, but you can change your username separately and doing so changes the url extension. It used to be that your username could only be set once and then was unchangeable, but somewhere along the line they decided to relax that policy.
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: StacyRenee on April 10, 2018, 08:27:32 PM
Does the username change the extension now?
Yes it does.  I got fed up with seeing my deadname in the URL, so I rummaged around until I found the username change.  That did it.  The URL now shows my proper name as my username.

As Sarah noted, though, it is not the same as changing your name.  You need to do both.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

StacyRenee

That's awesome! I guess I didn't need to make a whole new account after all. Managing two accounts on two devices got to be tiresome.
  •  

Charlie Nicki

I liked your message.

Enviado de meu Moto G (5) Plus usando Tapatalk

Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

Charlie Nicki

Quote from: StacyRenee on April 09, 2018, 10:12:49 PM

I didn't want my deadname still lingering around.

FYI you can actually change the username in the link of your Facebook account. I've done it twice :)

Enviado de meu Moto G (5) Plus usando Tapatalk

Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

Donna

Great post for face book. It gave me some ideas and I did do up an I don't care what you think post and opened my account back up to friends and family. So far I've had great support and feed back from everyone.
December 2015 noticed strange feelings moving in
December 2016 started to understand what my body has been telling me all my life, started wearing a bra for comfort full time
Spiro and dutastricide 2017
Mid year 2017 Started dressing and going out shopping etc by myself
October T 14.8 / 456
Came out to my wife in December 2017
January 2018 dressing androgenes and still have face hair
Feb 2018 Dressing full time in female clothing out at work and to friends and family, clean shaven and make up
Living full time March 1 2018
March T 7.4 / 236
April 19th eligard injection, no more Testosterone
June 19th a brand new freshly trained HRT and transgender care doctor for me. Only a one day waiting list to become her patient 😍

[/
  •