Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Anyone else here play the piano?

Started by Cakemonstomus, April 23, 2018, 09:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cakemonstomus

Piano IS easily my favourite musical object, and I'd like to know if there are any others?
9/07: privately came out to my older sister
9/15: came out publicly as mtf
8/16: name and gender "unofficially" changed on school records
4/18: started hrt
8/18: legal gender and name change
--/19: SRS
  •  

Kylo

I do. Just not as often as I would like.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

DustKitten

I used to, but I always hated having to practice. Now I wish I owned one so I could pick it up again.

I do play bass, but I may not be able to take all my gear with me when I move (particularly the 4x10 cab. That thing's a beast). The main difference between that and a piano is that, although a lot of songs do take practice to play, most songs have simple enough bass lines that I can just play a song and have it mostly figured out by the time it ends. It's much easier to play by ear, so there's no sheet music involved. In my experience, a lot of bassists don't even use tabs.

One thing bassists and pianists do tend to have in common is really short fingernails on both hands. A lot of guitarists only trim the nails on their left hand and use a pick for the right (which makes them easier to spot in public).
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Cakemonstomus on April 23, 2018, 09:12:57 PM
Piano IS easily my favourite musical object, and I'd like to know if there are any others?

@Cakemonstomus   Yes, I do play the piano, I had many years of lessons all through Junior High and High School and after.   When I relocated here where I am living now I could not bring my old style acoustic console piano so I am now relegated to a keyboard, which is fine, keyboards and digital pianos have come such a long way in the last 10 years.  The weight and feel of the keys and the modulated sound intensity of the notes depending on key stroke and pressure are very realistic and of course the resultant sound quality is excellent. 
I read sheet music effortlessly and I finally got to the point of being able to pick up a tune and play by ear which in some situations can be very advantageous and helpful.
What is your history and your story regarding playing the piano?

As a side note:
I see that you had become a member here in October 2017, and it appears that you were never officially welcomed... so I will be sending you an Official Welcome message on this thread very soon.
Thanks for your posting and I will be looking to hear from you about you and your piano playing.

Wishing you well,
Danielle

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@Cakemonstomus
  Hello Cakemonstomus,  PLEASE KNOW that I am not trying to hijack your thread and evade your questions about piano playing but I see that you had become a member of Susan's Place back on October 2017 an I do not see that you have ever been officially welcomed and given important information that will help you navigate around the Forums.   First things first... so please allow me to give you my Official Welcome.

I am glad that you have taken the step to become a member of Susan's Place and that you have posted now 15 times since your became a member and you shared your thoughts with other members on various threads.

I am thinking that you may lots more questions and concerns, this is the right place for you to be to find out what others have done that may have been in your circumstances.

Be aware that there are a lot of members here that can identify with what you may be going through.

Allow me now to officially WELCOME you to Susan's Place.  You will find this a safe and friendly place to share with others  and to read about others similar trials, tribulations, and successes.
It is nice that you had signed up so you can share with others and involve yourself with some give and take with other members.
When frustrated or if you have successes you can share them here if you wish and receive support from others and offer support to others. ....

***It's a very good chance that you might find that you will make some new friends here. 

Please come in and continue to be involved at your own pace. 

In some of your first posts you had questions about uploading pictures, reputation points, editing your profile, etc.....so please look at the LINKS I posted below, these b] Important LINKS[/b]  will tell you the site and will help you to navigate around and best utilize the features here.
Look especially at the LINKS IN RED ... there are answers there to many questions that newcomers have. 

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle

Here are some links to the site rules and stuff that all new members should be familiar with:

Things that you should read

•  

Northern Star Girl

@Cakemonstomus
Oh, and another thing Cakemonstomus ... to let more members here know of your arrival and therefore you will receive more involvement in sharing information of interest with you.  Other like-minded  members reading it will be more apt to share their thoughts with you.

If you would, please go to the Introductions Forum to tell the members about yourself!

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place,
Danielle

•  

Devlyn

I can't play piano, but I know my way around the male organ.   :laugh:   <running away>
  •  

TheDelBel

Yeah, I play piano. I've been playing since I was 4.  ;)
<3
  •  

Donica

I just started learning 2 months ago. I bought a digital piano and love it. I played Trumpet and French Horn all through grade school, junior high and high school so I learned to read music years ago. After graduating high school, I picked up the guitar, learned to play it and played in a few club bands over the years.

I've always loved the piano but never had the opportunity to learn to play it until now. Every guitarist learns to play Stairway to Heaven and every pianist learns to play Piano Man by Billy Joel lol. I'm also learning to play the classics like Fur Elise. I thoroughly love playing the piano.

By the way! Stairway to Heaven on piano is intense.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Donica on July 16, 2018, 08:35:10 AM
I'm also learning to play the classics like Fur Elise. I thoroughly love playing the piano.
You might also look into Scott Joplin as a fair portion of his music can be played solo on a piano. Impresses the daylights out of people the first time they hear it as the The Sting proved.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Donica

Quote from: Dena on July 16, 2018, 05:44:31 PM
You might also look into Scott Joplin as a fair portion of his music can be played solo on a piano. Impresses the daylights out of people the first time they hear it as the The Sting proved.

Thanks Dena! I'll look him up.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Gertrude

I under it and can play a bit, but I'm a drummer. Piano is technically percussion though. I like Billy Joel and Bruce Hornsby in that vein.  Then there are the classics.  Jordan Rudess is very talented too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Donica on July 16, 2018, 08:35:10 AM
I just started learning 2 months ago. I bought a digital piano and love it. I played Trumpet and French Horn all through grade school, junior high and high school so I learned to read music years ago. After graduating high school, I picked up the guitar, learned to play it and played in a few club bands over the years.

I've always loved the piano but never had the opportunity to learn to play it until now. Every guitarist learns to play Stairway to Heaven and every pianist learns to play Piano Man by Billy Joel lol. I'm also learning to play the classics like Fur Elise. I thoroughly love playing the piano.

By the way! Stairway to Heaven on piano is intense.

My favorite piano piece by Joel is Summer Highland Falls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •