Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Seeking: FTM Makeup Tips and Tutorials

Started by Grunt, April 27, 2018, 10:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grunt

Even as a female I never got in to makeup, so assume that I know nothing, Jon Snow. I am interested in contouring to look more masculine, or androgynous, and I would like to hear from other FTMs about how you made your eyebrows more masculine, if you did, and/or how you gave yourself a beard. I have been told brow gel works well, but bought pomade instead, and can't find information on the difference.

Help this poor unfortunate soul, please.

----------

What I have purchased so far:
Concealer that may, or may not, be my shade
Nude Palette
Dark Brown Pomade
Silicone Anti-sponge
Blush I don't know how to use, or if it would even work for my skin

And lipsticks to play around with; might as well use it before I lose it.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

•  

Grunt

Oh, another note to add would be that I have incredibly sensitive skin, and I'm scared to try this. So, if there's any hypoallergenic items, or just softer, more gentle (and affordable) products in general, I would love to hear about them.

I hope I'm not asking too much :3

•  

Dusty

Quote from: Grunt on April 27, 2018, 10:09:28 PM
Even as a female I never got in to makeup, so assume that I know nothing, Jon Snow. I am interested in contouring to look more masculine, or androgynous, and I would like to hear from other FTMs about how you made your eyebrows more masculine, if you did, and/or how you gave yourself a beard. I have been told brow gel works well, but bought pomade instead, and can't find information on the difference.

Help this poor unfortunate soul, please.

----------

What I have purchased so far:
Concealer that may, or may not, be my shade
Nude Palette
Dark Brown Pomade
Silicone Anti-sponge
Blush I don't know how to use, or if it would even work for my skin

And lipsticks to play around with; might as well use it before I lose it.

The concealer should be around a shade lighter than your skin/foundation. You can go lighter if you're good at blending.

You can definitely use a nude palette for contouring. Just make sure it's got a matte finish and isn't too warm. You want your contour to be slightly cooler in tone to look more natural. And no shimmer in your contour.

The pomade can be used for brows or for drawing in facial hair. I don't have any experience with creating a beard as I've been trying to rid myself of the dreaded face sweater I was go graciously blessed with [emoji19]

I would probably skip the blush. If you do use it, just a swipe would be sufficient, I think.

Try nude lip colors to start. Especially if you're going for a more androgynous look. One of my favorites is by MAC, the Viva Glam 2, and part of the money goes to HIV/AIDS research.

Good luck! Post photos if you're comfortable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Dusty

I should add, I'm mtf, but I do hair and makeup for a living. Those are just some tips I could give you. I'm sure of the guys here can give you more first hand experience.

•  

Grunt

I appreciate any and all advice, no matter what your gender is. Thank you so much, and I will post photos when I try them. I still need to purchase a brush/sponge and foundation.

•  

Dusty

Quote from: Grunt on April 27, 2018, 10:36:54 PM
I appreciate any and all advice, no matter what your gender is. Thank you so much, and I will post photos when I try them. I still need to purchase a brush/sponge and foundation.

I'm partial to a sponge. I use it wet and really press the product into my skin so it doesn't sit on the skin and look like makeup. Plus the moisture from the beauty blender keeps your skin from looking like a mask.

Are you looking for a light-medium coverage foundation? You might like a tinted moisturizer. They're great for just evening out skin but still looks like your skin.

•  

Grunt

This is what I have so far.

•  

Lisbeth83

Hello Grunt!
For your sensitive skin I suggest using mineral powder foundation, that doesn't contains preservatives, Parfums or any other ingredient known to cause sensitization.
About contouring to make your face look more masculine, browsing the web you can find many contouring tutorial, I think you could take a look to contouring for round faces.
You have an oval shape face but following tips for round faces you could add more "shadows" to your natural facial features and maybe make it look sharper and more "masculine.
Just my 2 cents, I hope I could help you [emoji846]

P. S. I apologize for my poor language skills but I'm not British/American native
Quote from: Grunt on April 27, 2018, 10:16:30 PM
Oh, another note to add would be that I have incredibly sensitive skin, and I'm scared to try this. So, if there's any hypoallergenic items, or just softer, more gentle (and affordable) products in general, I would love to hear about them.

I hope I'm not asking too much :3

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

•  

Grunt

Quote from: Lisbeth83 on April 28, 2018, 04:32:00 AM
Hello Grunt!
For your sensitive skin I suggest using mineral powder foundation, that doesn't contains preservatives, Parfums or any other ingredient known to cause sensitization.
About contouring to make your face look more masculine, browsing the web you can find many contouring tutorial, I think you could take a look to contouring for round faces.
You have an oval shape face but following tips for round faces you could add more "shadows" to your natural facial features and maybe make it look sharper and more "masculine.
Just my 2 cents, I hope I could help you [emoji846]

P. S. I apologize for my poor language skills but I'm not British/American native
You are doing very well for not being an English native, and thank you very much. I have looked up videos about it, but I have not found many that really explain what they use, and when.

•  

Lisbeth83

Quote from: Grunt on April 28, 2018, 09:07:38 AM
You are doing very well for not being an English native, and thank you very much. I have looked up videos about it, but I have not found many that really explain what they use, and when.

Thanks [emoji4]
Regarding the contouring, usually they use a combo highlighter+bronzer, that can be bought separately or in the same package (the latter is specifically conceived for contouring use).
These products can have different "finish", but for your purpose is better a matte finish.
Many makeup brands sell contouring kits, maybe you can take a look at them [emoji4]

•  

Grunt

Quote from: Lisbeth83 on April 28, 2018, 11:30:10 AM
Thanks [emoji4]
Regarding the contouring, usually they use a combo highlighter+bronzer, that can be bought separately or in the same package (the latter is specifically conceived for contouring use).
These products can have different "finish", but for your purpose is better a matte finish.
Many makeup brands sell contouring kits, maybe you can take a look at them [emoji4]

Thank you, I really appreciate the help and specifications [emoji173]️

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Grunt on April 28, 2018, 11:31:38 AM

@Grunt   ....  I am very glad to see that you are finding relavent replies and FTM threads that are addressing your questions and concerns.   
Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Lisbeth83

Yvw [emoji6]
Quote from: Grunt on April 28, 2018, 11:31:38 AM

•  

fgsb

With so many tutorials on YouTube, its hard to watch just one (or twelve)

This is one I found to be one of the best because it it has a "right" and "wrong" way. Plus, for us girls that were not genetically blessed with certain facial features, it may give some other ideas to get a certain look.

•