News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Foundation Woes

Started by Eryn T, May 03, 2018, 04:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eryn T

Hey gals!

So, I've tried putting on makeup(just concealer, foundation, powder- right now) for like the 8th time, I've tried moisturizer and not, oil soaking sheets and not, primer and not, when it comes to my foundation whether it's with brush, a wedge/sponge, or my fingers my face always looks like this:

I did do a little research, but I guess not nearly enough on the subject.  The foundation I was using was Dream Satin Liquid by Maybelline.

What foundations do you gals use? (I probably only have access to drug-store types)
Looking to make and keep friends! Spreading the love, now that I can truly love myself!

Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,237152.msg2131598.html#msg2131598

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd5cx6Iok3BQYrGwdYbVqWA

Twitter: https://twitter.com/_TransGaming_
  •  

Lisbeth83

It seems like you have a dry skin, maybe you should dry a more nourishing foundation.
I rarely use foundation and when I do, I use a mineral powder one, but I use a moisturizing creme first.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

•  

barbie

As you know, do not rub, but tap slightly on your face after applying the liquid foundation so that it will be absorbed well into the skin.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Maria77

Eryn,

You may have skin issues.  Peels can greatly help with skin imperfections..  Glycolic peels are the mildest.   TCA peels go pretty deep and are probably best done by a professional.  TCA peels will require down time as your skin crusts over.  Laser resurfacing or Dermabrasion are procedures done by doctors and can have dramatic effects.  I'd try doing a little research on glycolic peels and give that a try first.
  •  

Eryn T

Thanks Maria!  I had no idea something like that even existed, I found a few articles that explained it decently enough.

It made me wonder if all those exfoliating creams or gels act like a super-small version of these; I have the Clean and Clear Deep Action one that I've been using. And when I started(similar to my workout routine) I didn't understand moderation at all, so the dryness of my skin might be self-inflicted, since I used it daily, and I just saw online that like once a week for dry skin and twice for oily skin.

So, I'll try not using it for a week and then see how my skin reacts, but I should probably also try powder since it's more easily applied, too, I hear.  I think that might be one of the reasons because when I did my makeup the first time, it did separate(this was without moisturizer or a primer) but it didn't look awful like the last couple of times.

Any other tips you all have is greatly appreciated, and I'll really try in a week's time without exfoliating!  ;D
Looking to make and keep friends! Spreading the love, now that I can truly love myself!

Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,237152.msg2131598.html#msg2131598

•  

jill610

Are you using moisturizer at all? They can get expensive fast, but maybe try a night and a day moisturizer. I use olay but think they are all basically the same. Will definitely help if you have dry skin.

Also, this could just be overapplication of foundation. It is made to be applied very thinly. Maybe try a sponge (YouTube how to use properly) with primer then concealer where needed then foundation.

•  

Maria77

Erin,

It is true that sometimes otc products contain ingredients mild forms of anti-aging  ingreedients like Retin A which can irritate the skin.  When I' ve overdone it with some of these products my skin is noticably red and irritated.  If that's the case, you know what the problem is and you can just try milder moisturizers.

But if that's not the case, it may be helpful to try different brands/types of foundation.   I'm skeptical of powders because of our special needs for coverage.  You might also checkout Wayne Goss' Youtube videos.  He is pretty awesome with regard to explaining techniques to prevent lifting, etc.
  •  

SammyHatesGreenEggs

Hi Eryn T,

In my relatively limited experience and research so far, skin care itself is just as important as the makeup application.

For example, every morning I wash my face, shave (thankfully that's getting easier and easier....), apply toner and then moisturizer with spf.  Each night, I wash my face with a cleansing oil, and apply moisturizer.  Once a week I exfoliate my face.

When applying foundation, I use primer first, and then apply foundation with a beauty blender, pressing (not swiping) it onto my face.  I then press a light bit of powder.

I'm definitely going to start experimenting with bb and cc creams in the near future, as I think that could save a lot of those steps, and could be a good transition to wearing makeup regularly (I'm out to everybody, but am ramping my way up to "full time").
  •  

Donna

I looked like that the first time and was instructed by my wife that less is more. Since then I have cut back and don't get the cake face any more. I finger dab as well as sponge apply and have figured out blending. Same for powder, too much can cause caking
December 2015 noticed strange feelings moving in
December 2016 started to understand what my body has been telling me all my life, started wearing a bra for comfort full time
Spiro and dutastricide 2017
Mid year 2017 Started dressing and going out shopping etc by myself
October T 14.8 / 456
Came out to my wife in December 2017
January 2018 dressing androgenes and still have face hair
Feb 2018 Dressing full time in female clothing out at work and to friends and family, clean shaven and make up
Living full time March 1 2018
March T 7.4 / 236
April 19th eligard injection, no more Testosterone
June 19th a brand new freshly trained HRT and transgender care doctor for me. Only a one day waiting list to become her patient 😍

[/
  •  

Eryn T

Thanks, Sammy!

Yeah, I realize now, too, that skin care is really important. I don't do quite that much(im always rushing around) but I will try to get some toner, too. Right now all I have is a moisturizer which I apply every night. I have an exfoilator which at first I was using every night...which I guess is a really bad idea lol And I do have a cleanser, but I didn't understand the difference so I thought they were essentially the same thing. but I'll follow your advice much more closer from now on for skin care!

And it's possibly I'm just using too much, but I don't understand how I've had to double-down sometimes, but I remember the other day when I used my moisturizer, my wife said my face looked like I dipped it in grease...

I made this post before coming out to my wife, and while she has agreed to help me with makeup soon(she actually said this weekend, but looks like i'll be too busy for it >.<) I'm still at a bit of a loss.

I think now, I mostly don't understand if I have oily skin or dry skin. And I thought I only ever used enough foundation(same as instructions from youtube videos) to cover my shadow. I've tried a variety of techniques, but I also understand that there are numerous ways and types of makeup that you can apply.

I'll be going to the free Sephora class on the 3rd, and I hope to gleam some good insight there from that, too!

And then I'll come back here I hope, and explain exactly what I was doing wrong- and maybe that will help the next girl along, too!

•  

Donna

If your looking shiny it may be to much again. My wife suggested you try a tinted moisturizer and see how that works
December 2016 started to understand what my body has been telling me all my life, started wearing a bra for comfort full time
October T 14.8 / 456
Feb 2018 Dressing full time in female clothing out at work and to friends and family, clean shaven and make up
March T 7.4 / 236
June 19th a brand new freshly trained HRT and transgender care doctor for me. Only a one day waiting list to become her patient 😍

[/
  •  

DawnOday

When using Makeup, foundation especially, cost does make a difference. I have heard Estee Lauder is one of the best. It is best to use a primer underneath as it helps smooth the skin and shrink the look of pores. When applying foundation use a fluffy brush or tear a make up wedge in half and use the uneven side to stipple the foundation as you put it on. Don't forget to moisten the sponge to help thin the foundation. Use just enough to cover. Let dry and re apply another thin layer. If that still does not do it use one more layer. If you are not too old, using powder will refine it even more. I use Ben Nye Cameo but cannot use it around the eyes as wrinkles in that area will look much worse. If you have olive skin you might try the Kardashian go to. Ben Nye banana powder. Depending on your age you may want to try some contouring and highlighting along with bronzer. Wayne Goss has some very informative YouTube videos. There are hundreds of others some good some not so good.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Donna

Thanks Dawn. I'll have to try the este lauder products. I use the two stage mascara and it is great. Wonderful lashes that last yet clean up easily. 
October T 14.8 / 456
March T 7.4 / 236

[/
  •  

Eryn T

A bit of an update, gals!

So, while my foundation still sometimes looks kinda 'meh' it's certainly much, much better than before and oddly enough it's because I started using a beauty blender instead of brushes. I guess I can't not push the foundation apart and create streaks with a brush, but now it's much more even and looks soooo much better!

So, I just wanted to let you gals know that, and if others are struggling with the same, maybe try a beauty blender! I watched this video by Marvin Goss and it helped me quite a bit!

•  

LizK

I was given a beauty blender by my wife 2 months ago, I love it and would never go back to a brush, it does an amazing job at blending the foundation into the skin especially if you happen to have bigger pores. I find as a novice it is easy to get consistent good coverage using a beauty blender.

To your origina question.... I have tried both expensive foundation but have found a 16 hour Target brand one that gives great coverage and looks really good. Costs about $8 per bottle. I tried it after watching some utube vids on cheap makeup. When I compare the Target brand to my MAC foundation the cheaper one comes out the winner.

Take care

Liz

Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •