Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Help me, help me, help me... covering a beard shadow

Started by Christyn, May 10, 2018, 04:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christyn

I would post this in the make-up etc area, but it seems like it doesn't get looked at much -
So if it gets moved, ok - I still need some advice-
Makeup - I'm not doing laser (yet) and need to cover beard shadow....oh yeah AAAAND my pores are HUGE. Up close, like looking in a 3x-5x magnification mirror I see every single thing, and its giving me little panic attacks - and REALLY bringing my overall mood WAAAAYYY down.
I feel like I have looked at every single youtube video and looked at everything on Pinterest I can find - and I just can figure it out. I've tried the oranges and the pinks and the reds for the beard shadow - and it doesn't work, at least to me it doesn't look like it. I use primer to smooth things out prior to putting foundation on and I still see the pores.
ARRGGGHHHHH!!!!
Frustrated just doesn't even come close.
Accepted myself-Dec 2017
Came out to my wife, Kids and mother -Also Dec 2017
Began HRT - Jan 2018
April 2018 - came out to The Navy and fellow Chiefs in my unit
April 2018 - came out to my immediate supervisors at my civilian job

Navy Chief, Navy Pride!
  •  

Allsorts

I have no experience myself (questioning FTM) but an idea that popped into my head was that you might try something like dermablend or veilcover. I don't know if that will work, or if it will look okay since its not very natural. It's on the thick side (so you have to be careful in applying in getting the right skin tone, blending well and thin layers rather than one thick one.)

I used it for scars, and it's generally used for scars, birthmarks and covering tattoos.
But covering up things that are hard to cover is what it's made for.
With veilcover I know you can buy a tester set, a small palate of various shades and tints which can help you decide on colour before you shell out for a proper tub of the stuff. And you can play around with mixing/blending more than one shade. I used a white one as a base layer then a skintone on top, when I had dark scars.

The ladies here might have better advice or more experience of that?
  •  

Christyn

Thank you. I will look into them - I'm at the point where I will probably try anything. Maybe I'm overreacting and maybe it isn't as bad as I think it is, but as I've said elsewhere, body hair is a big part of my dysphoria/dysmorphia.
Accepted myself-Dec 2017
Came out to my wife, Kids and mother -Also Dec 2017
Began HRT - Jan 2018
April 2018 - came out to The Navy and fellow Chiefs in my unit
April 2018 - came out to my immediate supervisors at my civilian job

Navy Chief, Navy Pride!
  •  

DawnOday

The best thing to use is a cheap orange lipstick. Believe it or not, lipstick is a cool trick of the trade, and the cheaper and redder the shade, the better. Just dot the lipstick over the beard and mustache area, blend with foundation and brush with loose powder to set the makeup. The red pigment of the lipstick counteracts with the bluish tints of the beard, so it works well for covering birthmarks and bruises, too.

There are countless how too's on YouTube.

Lucky me will not have to use it much longer. Near the end of electrolysis. Yeah!
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

JudiBlueEyes

OK Stay calm!  You're not the only woman with larger pores.  And you may find out they aren't so bad after all.  There's good advice here from others. 

I remember talking to my electrologist about my pores which I think are huge.  She see's lots of patients, 98% cis-women and she told me my pores are not large at all.  She seen them all.  I stopped fretting.  When you do start hair removal the pores will close up a bit and be even less noticeable.

Judi 
But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •  

Anne Blake

Early on I was taught to use an orange or coral lipstick in the dark areas which countered the black or dark beard color and then to use a pale greenish concealer stick (like a lipstick) to counter the coral tones. Cap that with a foundation that matches your natural skin tones. This combination of the three worked a lot better than just the red or coral lipstick and foundation. If that doesn't work and you live in or near a larger city, check in at either drag queen or theater supply shops for ideas. Good luck.
  •  

DawnOday

If you have large pores, be sure to use primer after moisturizing and before putting on the cover up and foundation. It works very well on my face.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Maria77

Dermablend cover creme will cover anything.  Don't buy the 'setting powder' as it is only talc-set with your own powder.   I tend to usemit only in "bad"areas and use lighter stuff where I can.   Mac full coverage is also good-not as strong as Dermablend-and is not spf (DB) is spf30.  The old school inexpensive cover is Max Factor Pan stik available on Amazon.
  •  

BrandiYYC

I used a colour corrector from MAC in peach lustre and it worked perfect. It did seem crazy how orange it was but it worked perfect. I am at a stage in my electrolysis where I no longer need to use it though, yay!
  •  

Harley Quinn

Heavy beard shadow is a pain to conceal, but there are a few things you can do.  First is classic Hot Towel Shave.  Hot towel to open the pores and soften the hair.  Use a good shave soap and badger brush.  If I'm in a rush the DE razor works pretty well, otherwise a straight razor works best.  Cold water to close the pores, then moisturize, toner, good sunscreen, a little color corrector, primer, and a medium to full coverage foundation.  Benefit and MAC have some heavy concealers (I used Benefit's Boing).  I used MAC's color corrector pen (the artists there should be able to find your shade).  Benefit also has Pore-fessional which is a pore minimizer, it works wonders to shrink the pores and make them smoother.  Heavier foundations are helpful for covering things up, but you'll have to be careful that it doesn't cake up on you.  It's a tight rope walk of not enough and too much.  I also prefer brushes to sponges for applying my makeup.  I get a smoother finish with less "over application" of products.
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •  

CarlyMcx

HRT will fix your pores.  Mine used to be huge, especially on my nose.  HRT shrank them down to nothing in about eighteen months.
  •  

Laurie

Hi Christyn,

You've said you have given the tricks a try and found them lacking. What I would suggest may be intimidating for you (or not) but I suggest you take your problem to the experts. Drop by Shephora or Ulta and tell them your problem and ask them to show you what you need to do to cover it. Careful though the answer they provide could be expensive but you can probably find cheaper similar products. The point is that they can show you what products you need and how to use them.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Another Nikki

Ben Nye Five O' Sharp is a foundation like cream with color corrector made especially to hide beard shadow.  they make 3 different shades depending on complexion.  It's available online from theatrical supply stores.
"What you know, you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire lifeā€”that there is something wrong. You don't know what it is, but it's there like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me."
  •  

rebeccal

Hi Christyn,

I'm not sure if the workaround I have will help you, but I really hope so.

If I understand the theory correctly, for those with darker hair the pores/stubble actually tend to appear somewhat blue-ish in colour, which is why the usual recommendation is to use varying shades of pinks and oranges to offset that.  To my mind, the problem with using shades that bold is that it becomes really difficult to balance and blend.

So - my workaround involves:

• A concealer/highlighter that matches your skin tone fairly closely (I use Rimmel "Match Perfection")
  • A powder blush that is a fairly bold pink
  • A used make-up container for mixing in

Firstly, I add a large-ish dollop of the concealer to the container, followed by brushing a fair amount of the bold blush powder :

I then blend and mix the two until they're consistent (it took me a while to adjust the relative quantities of both by testing in the mirror... ;) )

I apply it with the brush shown in the pic above around the upper lip and chin area, then blend with the rest of the slap in the usual way.

I like to think I've got it to work reasonably well...

Feel free to PM if you're interested and want to ask anything!
  •