Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Post orchi UTIs

Started by cicilia, May 26, 2018, 08:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cicilia

I had my Orchi I guess call it 8 or so weeks ago, give or take.  I would say about a week to 10 days after my Orchi I got a UTI that was worse than even my kidney stones years ago.  The pain was excruciating, and blood was just dripping out and clots as well.  My primary internist did a urine test and put me on doxycycline for 10 days.  That fixed it and I would say the pain dropped to zero by the third day. Then I had zero issues for a couple of weeks.  The pain came back 4 days ago and this time the same MD put me on Cipro.  I can't imagine this is just standard morbidity from an orchi, is it?  I would assume it was caused by the catheter; but I also thought that the catheter was done in the surgical theater and that it's a completely sterile process.  So why is this happening? 
  •  

Dena

If you had a catheter there is always a chance for a UTI. In addition, bacteria can exist in the urinary tract without causing a UTI. My guess is that your no longer on Sprio and you might have cut back the amount of water your drinking. Going regularly helps keep the bacteria out and if you go for a long time without peeing, it's an invitation for a UTI. It also possible the last antibiotic didn't target everything and your fighting the same infection. It's important to take all the medication as directed and do any follow up the doctor might request as the prostate makes it more difficult to treat infection than in a CIS female.

One other mention. If you had kidney stones, it's possible you may not normally drink enough water. In that case, get a measure cup or mug and make sure you drink enough containers to get at least the minimum amount of water - normally about half a gallon a day. My boss had kidney stone issues and his solution was to carry a half gallon insulated jug that he had to empty each day along with any other fluid intake he might have.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Doreen

Quote from: cicilia on May 26, 2018, 08:11:41 PM
I had my Orchi I guess call it 8 or so weeks ago, give or take.  I would say about a week to 10 days after my Orchi I got a UTI that was worse than even my kidney stones years ago.  The pain was excruciating, and blood was just dripping out and clots as well.  My primary internist did a urine test and put me on doxycycline for 10 days.  That fixed it and I would say the pain dropped to zero by the third day. Then I had zero issues for a couple of weeks.  The pain came back 4 days ago and this time the same MD put me on Cipro.  I can't imagine this is just standard morbidity from an orchi, is it?  I would assume it was caused by the catheter; but I also thought that the catheter was done in the surgical theater and that it's a completely sterile process.  So why is this happening?

Did you finish the ENTIRE antibiotic regime? Often people stop when the symptoms do and that's a huge mistake.  The other suggestions were very good, keep drinking plenty of fluids.  I'd also say stop any sugar intake, especially sodas or energy drinks.  Avoid sweets.. anything really with sugar.   FYI this also includes 'sweetened' cranberry juice.  Your body just went through a traumatic experience, it may need some time to heal.
  •  

cicilia

Quote from: Dena on May 26, 2018, 09:15:11 PM
If you had a catheter there is always a chance for a UTI. In addition, bacteria can exist in the urinary tract without causing a UTI. My guess is that your no longer on Sprio and you might have cut back the amount of water your drinking. Going regularly helps keep the bacteria out and if you go for a long time without peeing, it's an invitation for a UTI. It also possible the last antibiotic didn't target everything and your fighting the same infection. It's important to take all the medication as directed and do any follow up the doctor might request as the prostate makes it more difficult to treat infection than in a CIS female.

One other mention. If you had kidney stones, it's possible you may not normally drink enough water. In that case, get a measure cup or mug and make sure you drink enough containers to get at least the minimum amount of water - normally about half a gallon a day. My boss had kidney stone issues and his solution was to carry a half gallon insulated jug that he had to empty each day along with any other fluid intake he might have.

I'm still on Spiro 200.  The MD said it was good for controlling my BP and wants me to stay on it.  The kidney stones were from working at The Coca-Cola Company.  At the HQ,  TCCC would have all you could drink - fridges stocked to the rim every morning.  And if you weren't the first one there;  all the Dasanis were gone.  So it was on to the Sprite and Coke Classic.  Within 6 months I had stones.
  •  

cicilia

Quote from: Doreen on May 26, 2018, 09:20:18 PM
Did you finish the ENTIRE antibiotic regime? Often people stop when the symptoms do and that's a huge mistake.  The other suggestions were very good, keep drinking plenty of fluids.  I'd also say stop any sugar intake, especially sodas or energy drinks.  Avoid sweets.. anything really with sugar.   FYI this also includes 'sweetened' cranberry juice.  Your body just went through a traumatic experience, it may need some time to heal.

I am drinking the Ocean Spray 100% cranberry juice with no added sugar;  but I must say it's extremely sweet for some reason.
  •  

Doreen

Quote from: cicilia on May 27, 2018, 04:48:31 PM
I am drinking the Ocean Spray 100% cranberry juice with no added sugar;  but I must say it's extremely sweet for some reason.

Oh gosh ya if you're drinking coka cola like that ... that can REALLY really screw up your internal system.  After all they pour that stuff on batteries to clear out the acid lol.  The huge amounts of sugar in one soda bottle is ridiculous..  In ocean spray .. I'm curious if they have 'natural and artificial sweeteners' in the ingredients.  If its sposedly 100% juice, then it should be ok.
  •  

josie76

I can tell you that some infections can take a very long time to be fully rid of them. Years ago I had a bacterial infection in my prostate (prostatitis). It took like 5 different antibiotic regimes spanning a year before it was gone for good. I had microscopic amounts of blood in my urine for much longer after though.

I did not have a catheter during my orchiectomy, least far as I know. The urologist said it only took like 30 minutes to perform it. I did however have a vesectomy about a decade ago so this time he did not need to cut the sperm ducts. I did however have UTI like symtoms for a week after the procedure. No burning or blood but the slight incontinence did happen. I also had a massive white blood cell count as of a couple weeks later (18,000+). This has dropped back to near normal now. I think it was likely due to how my body really, really did not like those self disolving sticthes. I had to use a pad for nearly two weeks after because of that.
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•