Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Lucky in Mississippi!

Started by Chanteur, June 02, 2018, 02:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chanteur

Woot! I am so happy. This has been my week!!

I had done some research on possibly challenging the statute requiring SRS/GRS to get driver's license changed. But turns out I didnt have to.

I paid my lawyer back in March $600 for my name change. Just had my court hearing on May 30th where it was all duked out in chambers. Judge signed the name change. Yippee!!

I wish I could have gotten my gender also, but my endocrinologist did not write a letter attesting that I had irreversible changes and such. She wrote: "... is undergoing appropriate clinical treatment for gender change and is in the process of undergoing changes to the new gender of Female."

This statement will work however for my passport... Once I get the roughly $85 saved up to do so.

But the biggest news this week...

DMV changed my gender marker without asking for ANY proof from courts or medical professionals.

I took my name change order and the doctor letter to Social Security. Told the agent I am here to change my name and gender. The agent there remembered an email he had received about a few month back but didnt have access to the email systems. So he went back to his supervisor and then returned and indicated it was the directive of the center to just change the gender regardless of documentation.

He then proceeded to change it within the Social Security System and gave me a print out indicating the changes. And told me my new card will be delivered in about a week or so.

I then took that letter from SSA along with my court order name change, to the DMV. Informed her that I am here to change my name and gender. Gave the agent my court order name change and she asked if I had been to Social Security. So I gave her my letter from Social Security. Then she also went to her supervisor and came back, made copies of the forms... took my new picture...

And gave me my Driver's License with the Female gender marker!!

This made my week. I never had to go to court, nor did I have to amend my birth certificate with the new gender. I will send off my certified letter to Missouri Dept of Vital Records once I am done getting all my other things changed here locally.

But I was totally shocked that nobody required any documentation really. This made my whole week, actually my whole month!!

•  

KathyLauren

Glad to hear this.  I am happy for you!

And more than a bit jealous.  I have my name change done, but I have to wait another year before I can change my birth certificate.  Here in Nova Scotia, you can only change your gender on government documents after getting your birth certificate changed.  Which depends on whatever crazy rules are in effect in whatever country you were born in.

So my driver's license shows me as Kathleen, with an M.  >:(  I am glad it went more smoothly for you.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •