Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Last meeting (ever) with sister

Started by DustKitten, June 08, 2018, 07:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustKitten

I've mentioned my family issues a couple of times on the forums, but basically I'm not in contact with my family anymore. My sister is the only exception, though we only talk maybe twice a year, and when we do it's almost always negative; she always ends up yelling at me for being gay, for leaving the church, for listening to "the devil's music", and for whatever hairstyle I currently have. Still, since she's less hateful towards me than the rest of my family, I still talk to her, and since she's the "last" family I have, I agreed to meet with her while she was in town today.

Now, my ex-boyfriend (who remains a close, supportive friend to me) and I have agreed that I would be safer not telling my family about my trans-ness. My parents are well-known and closely connected to an extremely conservative network of churches (think Westboro Baptist types), and we've agreed that since I'm not in contact with them anyway, I would be better off not telling them that I'm trans, since that would risk outing me to a very large population of really transphobic people. So, my sister knows I like guys, but she doesn't know I'm trans, and I'm not planning to tell her anytime soon.

So I met my sister at a books-a-million. She brought her husband and baby, I bought coffee, and we chatted pleasantly for about ten minutes until she started asking questions about my life. She became visibly angry when she asked about my ex (like I said, we don't talk much, so she didn't know we broke up), and she demanded to know why I'm trying to leave the South, which in her opinion is the best place in the country to live. She said the people here make it a good place due to "southern hospitality", and that people everywhere else are awful, to which I replied that the South is only a good place to live if one is straight, white, and actually from the South (I am white but the racism here disturbs me so that's still a major issue for me). I said that a lot of people in the South are, to varying degrees, racist, misogynistic, xenophobic, and homophobic, and that because of that I don't feel comfortable living here, and she said that she was homophobic, too, and asked if that was a good reason for me not to talk to her. I said it definitely made talking to her an uncomfortable experience, and she got mad and asked if I still wanted to talk to her at all.

I didn't know how to answer that. I did want to stay in touch with her, but every time we talk she gets angry and tells me I'm a horrible, ungodly person, and if she ever found out I'm trans she'd tell my parents, who might out me to more dangerous people, so that would make talking to her more difficult in the future. I was put on the spot, and I didn't know how to answer, and she and her husband were getting REALLY angry which was making me kinda scared even though we were in public and they had a baby with them, and then they stormed out and...

...and I don't know. I feel sad and a little hurt, but I haven't felt connected to her in a long time. I don't feel like I've really lost anything, and if anything I feel safer now knowing that they probably won't try to contact me again. I'm a little upset but I just wanted to vent about it somewhere; I don't think I'll ever talk to them again.
  •  

Dena

Should you move to another area, you might provide a phone number, Skype info or email address so contact with you is possible. If you don't feel that comfortable talking to her, let them initiate the next contact and for now go on with your life. Should you ever be questioned as to why you broke off contact, you can say you didn't as you provided contact information. It's possible at some point her view point of the world will change. Time and age have a habit of doing that to people but it doesn't always happen.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

SailorMars1994

I'm really sorry Hun. You're going through the coals too. You deserve better. You clearly love her so keep the door open but please makes sure you're mental health is not in any jeopardy. PM me sometime love inwould love to know ya more or help anyway I can :)
AMAB Born: March 1994
Gender became on radar: 2007
Admitted to self : 2010
Came out: May 12 2014
Estrogen: October 16 2015
<3
  •  

Lady Sarah

Please allow me to assure you that not all parts of the south are like that. My tiny town in Texas has a lesbian police chief, and many of the residents listen to heavy metal. It might seem odd that a town of 2,000 people in Texas would be like that, but it is.

I can relate to your family issues, and I would not blame you for severing all ties to them. I did the same with my adoptive family, including not even shedding a tear for those that passed away. Nobody needs someone else's hatred to bring them down and tear them apart. Family members can sure make it worse than when strangers do it. It is up to you whether or not you want to provide contact info to them hen you move on with your life. I didn't.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

stephaniec

•  

ErinWDK

I am sad that this had to happen to you.  You did not break contact with your sister -- she chose to storm off.  She might try to make you feel guilty (for HER walking out); for your own well being don't let her foist that canard off on you.  It sounds like you were getting to the point of having a robust discussion.  Being able to successfully accomplish that is becoming a lost art.  The ability to have a civil conversation with someone holding a strongly different position on critical issues is the key to having any sort of real relationship with them.  Your sister failed at that; she might grow as a person and be able to have a real talk in the future -- but that is by no means a given.  You need to take care of you.

Moving north may not be a panacea.  I have lived both, and to a certain extent they both have the same problems.  By your description of the rest of the family it sounds best to keep some distance just for your physical safety; and that would be a very good reason to move.  The church issue complicates things; and that makes me doubly sad -- I wish I had an answer for that, but I don't.

I wish well for you.
  •