Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Do any of the over the counter DNA tests show gender related abnormalities

Started by Jill, June 25, 2018, 04:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jill

I see lots of DNA testing companies that will take your DNA and tell you about your ancestry and your risk of certain diseases.  Do any of them tell you about gender related abnormalities like XXY or mosaicism? 
  •  

Cindy

I would be extremely cautious about using such companies.

They do not do karyotyping (as far as I know) so they do not examine XY, XX XXXY etc. They use a very broad spectrum DNA analysis. They then own all of your genetic information and you have paid to give it to them.

People worry about facebook etc invading privacy, these guys end up owning every piece of genetic information about you to use as they want.

•  

josie76

From what I've read these companies seem to only spot easy to recognize genes. Certain ones where say a cancer related gene is very different in composition to the non-cancer risk gene. They do not seem to go in depth and sequence out for mutations of genes.

I thought it would be great to find a cheaper way to check my AR gene. The labs that do sequence the AR gene and compare it to the 600+ mutation database start at $1200 and go up. According to the doctor I fit between grade 1 and grade 2 in the PAIS scale. Would be grade 2 but i was able to make fertile sperm which is normally noted in grade 1. But since there is no medical treatment for AIS other than added hormone therapy depending on the person's gender identity, there is no "medically nessecary reason" for the test to be ordered according to the doctor.
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•  

ErinWDK

Quote from: Cindy on June 25, 2018, 04:42:26 AM
I would be extremely cautious about using such companies.

They do not do karyotyping (as far as I know) so they do not examine XY, XX XXXY etc. They use a very broad spectrum DNA analysis. They then own all of your genetic information and you have paid to give it to them.

People worry about facebook etc invading privacy, these guys end up owning every piece of genetic information about you to use as they want.

Thank you Cindy.  I have wondered about these and been attracted by the price.  You put the emphasis on the proper concern; no, I do not want them to have my information.
  •  

Doreen

Quote from: Jill on June 25, 2018, 04:04:30 AM
I see lots of DNA testing companies that will take your DNA and tell you about your ancestry and your risk of certain diseases.  Do any of them tell you about gender related abnormalities like XXY or mosaicism?

Quick answer on this:  No.

Go see a geneticist.  They actually look at the genes not just a cursory 'glance'.  Also, on that note a large majority of the time, they won't find anything even if you DO have obvious anatomical intersexed differences.  Just saying.  Genes aren't always the answer (at this time).  To identify stray organs you'll need a lot more than just a genetic test. Talking MRI's, ultrasounds, CT's, the likes.

They allegedly checked everything, found nothing genetically (lol), then told me I had 46XY Disorder of sexual development differential diagnosis to 46xy complete gonadal dysgenesis (Swyers).  In other words they know i'm screwed up but don't know why genetically for now (followup in a year). 
  •  

Danie

Try your local children's hospital. The geneticists there have more experience with intersex conditions than adult providers. I got referred to a geneticist at the local Children's Hospital. Much to my surprise, she recommended a whole exome sequencing and got my insurance to approve it. It eliminated all the known genetic causes, leaving low birth weight as the most likely cause in my case.
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: Danie on June 26, 2018, 03:09:46 PM
Try your local children's hospital. The geneticists there have more experience with intersex conditions than adult providers. I got referred to a geneticist at the local Children's Hospital. Much to my surprise, she recommended a whole exome sequencing and got my insurance to approve it. It eliminated all the known genetic causes, leaving low birth weight as the most likely cause in my case.

Hi @Danie 🙋‍♀️ Welcome to Susan's Place!  I'm Jessica.

I found your first post at Susan's Place here on this thread.
This is how we share information and experiences as we learn more about ourselves.
Thank you for sharing!

I see your new here, so I'll post some links that may help you get better acquainted with the site. Pay attention to the site rules they can be of great help and don't forget the link highlighted red.  It has answers to questions that are commonly asked.  Then join in on a topic you find interesting and learn and share.

Please feel free to stop by the Introductions Forum to tell the members about yourself!

If you are one of our younger members, please stop by the Youth Introductions Forum to tell the members about yourself!

Things that you should read

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Dena

Quote from: bloo11 on June 26, 2018, 06:04:54 PM
Ha...love the question.  I've tested with 23AndMe, NatGeo, and Ancestry.  On all three of them, I self-identified as female, and the companies sent me notification that my gender was possibly listed incorrectly, as I'm XY (male) apparently.
I took the NatGeo test because it was already paid for and they didn't check for the XY genes. What they were checking for was information contained on them. If your XX, they would expect to see the history from both parents on the X gene. If your male, they would be looking for information contained only on the Y gene. A male could chose a test were the Y gene history was explored where as a female could only explore the X gene history.

The test you took probably didn't provide enough X gene information and that's the source of the problem.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Allsorts

I don't know if this will be any help, or just more confusing but here's my own experience.

Depends what you mean  by "over the counter"... I know 23&me has gone the route of literally over the counter, but online you can purchase a variety of things.

I did 23&me and can't recall anything unusual showing up. In terms of chromosomes, they only test?report? on what you have given them as your sex. (Does that make sense?) If you register as female they only do X, if you register as male they will do X and Y.

They also only test a small number of snps, really small % but do give some mitochondrial DNA results (I'd guess any ancestry-marketed test would)

Then I got full exome sequencing with Genos.
That was more about looking into some other things like my collagen issues and stuff.

Yup there were some potential sex-related mutations flying around (still trawling though that) but what it did do (courtesy of their method of sequencing I'd imagine) was produce some Y results in my raw data.

Which was a bit of a surprise to me given I'm anatomically female (so must likely be XXY but with something else that meant I didn't end up Klinefelters - maybe missing the SRY gene or summat not enough info to know since it was exome-sequencing not full genome). It didn't show on their own website thingy that you can use to look at variants etc. I emailed back and forth with them, and they contacted their <can't recall the word> team to try to see if there had been any mistakes in compiling my data. They also said the web interface only gives the results for what I identified myself as. The raw data was different/full. And I only found it because.... you don't get *much* in the way of interpretation of variants from these companies. You have to run it through various other websites and softwares etc to really get into it, VEP/ensmbl, plenty of linux and R programs out there, things like Enlis and Promethease. On and on.... checking with ClinVar, OMIM, NCBI listings.
It was looking at the VEP results that did it. Ran the program and mulling through the results when I realised that last ones I'd written down were given as located on the Y chromosome. I have the large letter WTF??? underlined several times, in my notes!

So I found out mine by accident rather than purpose.
As other's have said, for chromosomal issues you need karotyping, not exome/genome sequencing.

And exome/genome sequencing only gives you the DNA sequence, point mutations, snps/snvs (single nucleotide variants) no information about things like copy number variations or structural variantions so it misses out quite a lot f data there if you are looking specifically for abnormalities. I've tried looking into the not-terribly-accurate computer programs etc for determining copy number from exome sequencing from BAM files (since you get paired-read and read-depth, pile-up data with Genos), but it's beyond my computer abilities!!

One of the advantages of Genos was that you do own your own data. But the exome sequencing doesn't include mitochondria-DNA.
  •  

Danie

My whole exome sequencing did have one tantalizing but scary false lead. It turned out I have two previously unreported Variations of Unknown Significance in my FANCA gene. Mutations there cause Fanconi Anemia which is capable of causing PAIS-like symptoms and would explain everything about me. But it usually kills by age 35 and has been known to appear (usually fatally) in people my age (58). It took four scary months to get a functional test of the gene in my bone marrow that turned out normal. To be sure I was out of the woods it needed repeated using cells from a skin biopsy and I have another month before I get those results. Genetic testing can move at a glacial pace.

It was a bit surreal getting tested for a children's condition that is so rare in older adults I'd be one of about 12 cases if I was positive. And when I looked for how others coped with it their accounts always ended with "So-and-So passed away a short time ago". They were inspiring but really scary.

It was like getting trapped inside a weepy Hallmark movie. Stuff like that simply does not happen in real life! Until me.

Assuming that test is negative, the most likely cause is what is starting to be named "Nongenetic 46 XY DSD Associated with fetal growth restriction". Being non-genetic, there is no way to confirm it for sure, especially after full SRS, but it looks like as certain an answer as I'm likely to ever get.
  •  

Doreen

Quote from: Danie on June 27, 2018, 07:38:41 PM
My whole exome sequencing did have one tantalizing but scary false lead. It turned out I have two previously unreported Variations of Unknown Significance in my FANCA gene. Mutations there cause Fanconi Anemia which is capable of causing PAIS-like symptoms and would explain everything about me. But it usually kills by age 35 and has been known to appear (usually fatally) in people my age (58). It took four scary months to get a functional test of the gene in my bone marrow that turned out normal. To be sure I was out of the woods it needed repeated using cells from a skin biopsy and I have another month before I get those results. Genetic testing can move at a glacial pace.

It was a bit surreal getting tested for a children's condition that is so rare in older adults I'd be one of about 12 cases if I was positive. And when I looked for how others coped with it their accounts always ended with "So-and-So passed away a short time ago". They were inspiring but really scary.

It was like getting trapped inside a weepy Hallmark movie. Stuff like that simply does not happen in real life! Until me.

Assuming that test is negative, the most likely cause is what is starting to be named "Nongenetic 46 XY DSD Associated with fetal growth restriction". Being non-genetic, there is no way to confirm it for sure, especially after full SRS, but it looks like as certain an answer as I'm likely to ever get.

I was diagnosed by my geneticist and reproductive endo as 46 XY DSD variant of 46 XY complete gonadal dysgenesis.  You're right, often its 'nongenetic' in nature.  It doesn't actually mean its nongenetic, its just none of the known most common mutations, deletions, copies, etc... exist that were observable in your sample that caused this.

Alot of it I suspect is guesswork, though both were pretty convinced that was what I am.  The geneticist even more so than the repro endo (as that was one of 3  diagnosis the endo gave me).  IN the end I trust a geneticist more.  I think.
  •  

Danie

For me it quite likely is non genetic because I was born a very undersized fraternal twin. But you are right. Even with a geneticist there is a great deal of uncertainty to genetics.

I'm tempted from time to time to try one of the over the counter tests just to see what it shows, but I doubt it would reveal anything medical I don't know now. I'm not worried about release of my DNA because I already consented to using my DNA for research to help the fight against Fanconi Anemia. That was the least I could do to help fight a terrible condition.
  •