Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Sephora “Classes for Confidence: Bold Beauty for the Transgender Community”

Started by Michelle_P, July 24, 2018, 01:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michelle_P

A new series of classes are being offered by Sephora.  The Walnut Creek, CA store held their first class for the local transgender community on Sunday, July 22, 2018. 

The "Bold Beauty for the Transgender Community" is a complimentary 90 minute class offered for transgender and non-binary persons.  It covers topics of particular interest for those in transition, including the use of color correcting techniques to compensate for skin tones from facial hair.

The interactive workshops are meant to help people find their personal style, gain confidence, and discover products that work for their desired self-expression. Sephora's beauty advisors guide the students through techniques including skincare routines, makeup application, shade matching, and color correcting.

The class was held early Sunday morning, at 9:00 AM, well before the stores in this mall opened.  This made arriving much less stressful for some folks.  Note that folks need not be presenting as their identified gender, but may come 'in drab' as their assigned sex at birth. The staff seems to be very welcoming no matter one's appearance.

Guests signed up in advance on the Sephora website.  On arrival, each guest is checked in, and one of the coaches does the color measurements of skin tone which will be used in selecting products to be used in the class.

Jessica and Elizabeth facilitated and coached this initial class at Walnut Creek, demonstrating the techniques on a model and then guiding the students through a practical exercise.  Sephora provided all materials and tools for the class.   The class spent a good bit of time on proper skin care, cleaning, and damage prevention, before proceeding to basics of color correction, foundation and concealers.

This is a worthwhile program for transitioning MtF And genderqueer people and allies to attend.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

jill610

I went to one of these near Philadelphia, if you are already competent with your makeup, you may not get a lot out of it. If you are just starting out, this will be really worthwhile.

•  

Jessica

I had signed up for this one, but was reminded by my running gal pal that we had a race that day.
So instead of feeling pretty, I got dusty and gritty.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Gabrielle66

Jessica,

I'm just curious. You said you were able to sign up for the class but were not able to go due to another event. I see you are in California. I am in Riverside and tried to find this class anywhere near me out to even the South Coast Plaza. Can you tell me which location you found this offered in? I know nothing about makeup and this class would be a Godsend for me. Thanks so much. Love and faith.

Gabrielle
  •  

barbara1962

I tried to find a way to sign up in Buffalo, but they don't seem to be offering it here. I also tried Rochester, but again, no dice. Hopefully, they will bring it to Western New York soon. It would be perfect for me. I could use some help with this. I went out tonight en femme, and my makeup was ghastly. Fortunately, I only went to fill my gas tank and drive around a little. Sephora, we need you! They will certainly sell a lot of makeup to our community. What ever happened to good old fashioned capitalism?
  •  

Gabrielle66

Quote from: barbara1962 on October 03, 2018, 09:03:10 PM
     I tried to find a way to sign up in Buffalo, but they don't seem to be offering it here. I also tried Rochester, but again, no dice. Hopefully, they will bring it to Western New York soon. It would be perfect for me. I could use some help with this. I went out tonight en femme, and my makeup was ghastly. Fortunately, I only went to fill my gas tank and drive around a little. Sephora, we need you! They will certainly sell a lot of makeup to our community. What ever happened to good old fashioned capitalism?

Barbara,

I actually got a reply from the Sephora customer care folks. I was told that they are currently not offering this class at all. Not sure why it's listed on the website though. I was told that they have resources available to talk directly with other customers and other things by going to this link:

https://www.sephora.com/happening/home

If you have a Sephora ID then you can log in and it will help you find some things that they do have available. There are plenty of other classes and things listed. The only thing for me, is that the other bold beauty was specifically targeted for transwomen and that would make me so much more comfortable than just the standard make over or find your foundation type of things that are available at my local store. I would love to have the confidence to go and do one of those things. I'm just so tired of being afraid to embrace myself as a woman. I'm going to get there though. Love and faith.

Gabrielle
  •  

Sarah1979

Quote from: Gabrielle66 on October 04, 2018, 11:41:15 AM
I would love to have the confidence to go and do one of those things. I'm just so tired of being afraid to embrace myself as a woman. I'm going to get there though. Love and faith.

Gabrielle

^ This +1
  •  

Donica

Oh yes Michelle. Sepharo held a class two weeks for us in the Thousand Oaks Mall in SoCal. A few of my TG friends and I got to attend the class. It was wonderful. They were all very warm and friendly. It was a complete makeup course/Makeover. They started from the beginning, Cleansing, mild chemical peel, moisturizing, concealers, foundations, beard coverage, highlighters, setting powders and sprays, eyeshadow and eye liners. It was very informative. It was all free for the LGBTQ... community. You can sign up for their Sepharo insider and get free stuff and makeup tips. I would recommend this class to everyone. I forgot to mention in my thread that it was a Sepharo class. Here's a link to my picture of the makeup I did at their class. https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,240584.msg2177745.html#msg2177745

Hugs,
Donica.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Gabrielle66

Donica,

I saw your Sephora makeover pic. That was really great. I t just makes me sad that this class is no longer available. I have no experience using makeup and that class would be invaluable in helping me build some confidence in trying something that is probably going to be essential to me being able to properly present as female. Have a wonderful day. Love and faith.

Gabrielle
  •  

Donica

Quote from: Gabrielle66 on October 06, 2018, 10:48:51 AM
Donica,

I saw your Sephora makeover pic. That was really great. I t just makes me sad that this class is no longer available. I have no experience using makeup and that class would be invaluable in helping me build some confidence in trying something that is probably going to be essential to me being able to properly present as female. Have a wonderful day. Love and faith.

Gabrielle

Dear Gabrielle.
Sign up for their Sepharo Insider on their website. I was told they will be having another class next year. I believe they only do this once a year. Our class was arranged by the Indivisible Conejo Valley LGBTQIA+ group.

Donica.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •