Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Who Am I an SOs Story

Started by Debi, August 17, 2018, 07:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Debi

My name is Debi or Deb and I am newly married to my transgender partner whom I have been married to for 34 years. After three years of Tia beneficially using this forum to help herself work through many of the pieces of who she has become, (Thank you to all who have been here to help.) I think it is time for me to put voice to my side of Tia and my story if for no other reason than I have a different perspective about what being a part of a relationship that is different from mainstream, means to a straight female who grew up in the middle of Iowa in the late '50s and 60s.
My ideals and beliefs started out pretty milk toast vanilla, but you must understand that I had a very protected childhood where I knew I was loved and cherished by all around me and the big bad wolf and evil witches would always be kept at bay. I think what I am trying to say here is that my nurturing up bringing was way different then the one T experienced and where we come from often defines how we become who we are. I do blame my "happily ever after" ideals on the failure of marriage number one and was quite surprised that the universe gave me a second chance by handing me my true "Prince Charming" who was gentle, sensitive, loving, and kind and had some great male qualities too.
T and I were married in 1984 and for thirty years life was good but after that much time it had also become a little mundane. We knew each other "so well" or at least we thought we did. By the time we retired I had stopped asking the question "Who am I and what do I want out of the next stage of life?" and T had a secret that he didn't know she had.
Actually, we didn't know each other "well" or even who we were ourselves, but in making a decision to step away from mundane, we opened a door that sent us onto a journey that rocked not only our world but also the perceptions of all who knew us.

And so Our Story Begins!
  •  

MissyMay2.0

Congratulations, and welcome!😊
  •  

Charlie Nicki

I'm glad that you're still in love and navigating this journey together :) welcome to the forum!
Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

Moonflower

@Debi, what a great occasion for you: marrying your transgender partner to whom you've been married for 30-some years. I love your wedding photo, and your description of your honeymoon as you travel the coast visiting virtual friends (as described on a different thread). I also love your upbeat response to Tia's transition. I, too, am delighted to discover that I truly am not inclined to bigotry, and I am so in love with my spouse that I don't care if she turns into a frog; I will always protect and cherish her.

I wonder if you know what I'm talking about when I share my confoundedness: it's not right that women are more privileged than men. For example, I can put on a flannel shirt and old jeans, and haul a 60-lb. bag of gravel, then wash up and put on a flowy or slim dress with earrings, and do something nice with my hair, and my appearance and behavior are perfectly accepted. On the other hand, a man has a very limited range of colors and fabrics that he can use for clothing, and he has to be the tough 60-lb. gravel-bag hauler, no matter what he's wearing. As a woman, I have a wide range of acceptable gender fluidity, while men's is teensy. Why would I want my spouse to be trapped in such a limited range of socially-acceptable behavior? I love being a woman during this time in history, and welcome her to be one, too. What do you think?

Again, I'm glad that you are here, Debi, and I look forward to reading more of your story and thoughts.
:icon_wave:
1999 we met and married :icon_archery:
Fall 2018 The woman hiding behind my husband's facade is coming out full time! :icon_female:
She began MTF HRT but had adverse reactions, so gave up on transitioning medically.
Summer 2022 I went through gender confirmation surgery as a result of cancer.
2024 her cardiologist and a therapist wrote letters approving of resuming HRT, she's legally changing her name, and now she's getting on the calendar for surgery!

Welcome, to Significant Others
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247396.0.html

Our transitioning blog, "Opening The Cage"
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,241591.0.html
  •  

HappyMoni

Deb, I hope you will continue with this thread. I don't know that I am qualified to deem you a good role model for significant others as I am not one, but I think you have a wonderfully positive attitude. My own partner has been incredibly supportive to me.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

LizK

Hi Deb

I would really love to hear how things were for you. I have read a number of your other posts in the wedding thread and look forward to hearing more of what you experienced during Tia's journey...

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •