Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Orchiectomy Surgeon in the US

Started by amydane, August 22, 2018, 08:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amydane

I'm thinking of going to Dr. MELTZER for my orchiectomy, but are there any other surgeons in the Western US, that you would recommend looking at?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

•  

josie76

For an orchi, any urologist can do it. You just have to call and find one who will do it for a trans reason.
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•  

Dena

Dr Lay has a much shorter waiting list and works with Dr Meltzer in the same office. If you want Dr Meltzer, you might be looking at as much as a two year wait where as Dr Lay is probably around 6 months.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

amydane

Quote from: Dena on August 22, 2018, 10:09:51 PM
Dr Lay has a much shorter waiting list and works with Dr Meltzer in the same office. If you want Dr Meltzer, you might be looking at as much as a two year wait where as Dr Lay is probably around 6 months.
Thanks, Dr. Lay fits my time table much better. Do you know if Dr. Lay less expensive.

•  

amydane

Quote from: josie76 on August 22, 2018, 10:01:10 PM
For an orchi, any urologist can do it. You just have to call and find one who will do it for a trans reason.
I fear going to a urologist that doesn't routinely work with transgender patients. I guess I'm concerned about a lack of sensitivity. Thanks!

•  

josie76

Quote from: amydane on August 22, 2018, 10:48:23 PM
I fear going to a urologist that doesn't routinely work with transgender patients. I guess I'm concerned about a lack of sensitivity. Thanks!

I understand the concern. I'm in the Midwest and have been pleasantly surprised how well most medical professionals have treated me. It seems younger PAs have mostly all had at least mention of the biological reality of being transgender taught to them in medical school. Doctors have been completely fine. Some are curious if they have never had a trans patient before. I had one general practice doctor in a convenant care office ask me if the HRT made noticeable difference as far as the disphoria went. She was genuinely interested from a medical standpoint.

When I went looking for an urologist I did ask the local support community for names. Then I also started just calling and asking the office staff if the doctor was comfortable doing an orchi for a trans patient. Generally I found that within all of the urology practices, at least one doctor says yes. Many offices have web sites where you can message the staff to ask. I did that with a few practices where I had not been told any doctors name. The office staff were all good about replying to my email.

I ended up getting out of pocket pricing from two doctors in St. Louis. The doctors both had really reasonable fees but one used a surgical center and the other used the OR in a major hospital. The cash price was very different because of this. While I was saving up, I was told another doctors name. This doctor was 50 miles away from St Louis in another smaller city with a University medical school. I called and got a consultation appointment. This was a male doctor. He was very professional though not personable like the female urologists were. However, since I had a history of pain, had teaticular sonograms that found nothing wrong done a couple of years apart, and already was under an endocrinologists care, this doctor wrote it up so insurance would cover the entire procedure cost for me. He made a case for medical nessecity for me. I actually spent less than 20 minutes talking to him between the initial consult and the single follow up. After that initial consult he wrote up a multi paragraph diagnosis and reason which his office submitted for approval to my insurance. My very anti-trans insurance. I had a surgical date scheduled for just two weeks after my consult.

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•  

jill610

Quote from: amydane on August 22, 2018, 10:45:49 PM
Thanks, Dr. Lay fits my time table much better. Do you know if Dr. Lay less expensive.

Ley and Meltzer are the same price, Ley is doing my BA and GRS because she fits my timeframe better than Meltzer and have similar outcomes and complication rates. I suggest giving them a call to get an idea for lead time because it is different depending on the procedure.

•  

amydane

Quote from: josie76 on August 23, 2018, 06:16:55 AM
I understand the concern. I'm in the Midwest and have been pleasantly surprised how well most medical professionals have treated me. It seems younger PAs have mostly all had at least mention of the biological reality of being transgender taught to them in medical school. Doctors have been completely fine. Some are curious if they have never had a trans patient before. I had one general practice doctor in a convenant care office ask me if the HRT made noticeable difference as far as the disphoria went. She was genuinely interested from a medical standpoint.

When I went looking for an urologist I did ask the local support community for names. Then I also started just calling and asking the office staff if the doctor was comfortable doing an orchi for a trans patient. Generally I found that within all of the urology practices, at least one doctor says yes. Many offices have web sites where you can message the staff to ask. I did that with a few practices where I had not been told any doctors name. The office staff were all good about replying to my email.

I ended up getting out of pocket pricing from two doctors in St. Louis. The doctors both had really reasonable fees but one used a surgical center and the other used the OR in a major hospital. The cash price was very different because of this. While I was saving up, I was told another doctors name. This doctor was 50 miles away from St Louis in another smaller city with a University medical school. I called and got a consultation appointment. This was a male doctor. He was very professional though not personable like the female urologists were. However, since I had a history of pain, had teaticular sonograms that found nothing wrong done a couple of years apart, and already was under an endocrinologists care, this doctor wrote it up so insurance would cover the entire procedure cost for me. He made a case for medical nessecity for me. I actually spent less than 20 minutes talking to him between the initial consult and the single follow up. After that initial consult he wrote up a multi paragraph diagnosis and reason which his office submitted for approval to my insurance. My very anti-trans insurance. I had a surgical date scheduled for just two weeks after my consult.
That's awesome that your insurance covered the surgery! I'm glad you had a good experience. I might have to look into having a local urologist do the surgery. It would be nice to not have to stay the night in a hotel, then drive 7 hours the next day. How was your recovery?

•  

josie76

Quote from: amydane on August 23, 2018, 02:55:33 PM
That's awesome that your insurance covered the surgery! I'm glad you had a good experience. I might have to look into having a local urologist do the surgery. It would be nice to not have to stay the night in a hotel, then drive 7 hours the next day. How was your recovery?

Recovery was pretty easy. Only issue was my body really didn't like the dissolving stitches he used. I would have healed quicker if he had used those glue strip things instead. Otherwise it was simple and easy. One thing though, I had a vasectomy a decade earlier so he didn't have to cut those tubes since they were already done.

•