Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Mansplaining as a pack behavior.

Started by Julia1996, August 24, 2018, 07:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryT

Quote from: Julia1996 on August 24, 2018, 07:44:06 AM
... I asked Tyler to put the vacuum in my trunk so I could take it to the service center ...

That was a mistake.  I'm not sure which part was the mistake, wanting to take it to a service center, telling Tyler or both.

Your menfolk are being unreasonable, though.  If they expect you to do the traditional women's jobs like vacuuming and dishwashing, THEY should do the traditional men's jobs of fixing and maintaining the equipment.  If you let them get away with it, they'll expect you to fix and maintain your car as well as drive it.

Next time something breaks down and they expect you to fix it or complain that you didn't maintain it properly, repeat what your grandpa said:
"Well what did you expect?  Mixing females with machinery is just asking for disaster."
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: MaryT on August 25, 2018, 03:21:36 PM
That was a mistake.  I'm not sure which part was the mistake, wanting to take it to a service center, telling Tyler or both.

Your menfolk are being unreasonable, though.  If they expect you to do the traditional women's jobs like vacuuming and dishwashing, THEY should do the traditional men's jobs of fixing and maintaining the equipment.  If you let them get away with it, they'll expect you to fix and maintain your car as well as drive it.

Next time something breaks down and they expect you to fix it or complain that you didn't maintain it properly, repeat what your grandpa said:
"Well what did you expect?  Mixing females with machinery is just asking for disaster."

That's very unlikely. I'm not allowed to do anything but drive my car because of one tiny mistake I made a couple of years ago that could have happened to anyone.  I was driving and my car wasn't overheating but the temperature light kept coming on. I called my dad and he told me to come home because he probably needed to add water to it. Well I was like 5 minutes from the mall and I wanted to go shopping, not go all the way back home so I pulled into a store and bought some water to put in it. I had seen my dad and Tyler add water before and it seemed simple enough so I added the water and went on my way. I didn't get far before the car started acting really weird so I ended up having to call my dad anyway. Well....it turns out I added the water to the transmission stuff thing and evidently that causes a big problem. It cost my dad a lot to have it fixed and he told me the next time I got an idea to do him a favor and run like hell from it. Tyler had fun teasing me about it for a month. So after that I don't do anything to my car but drive it. I've only put gas in it a few times. My dad or Tyler puts gas in it and they do everything else that needs done to it. Tyler even cleans and washes it. Another of his weird habits is that as much of a slob as he is around the house he is totally anal and OCD about keeping his car clean and detailed. I would vacuum inside my car maybe a couple times a year. If it looked really dirty I would run it through a carwash. But polish chrome, scrub tires and do armor all all over inside like Tyler does. ..yeah, NEVER! It bothered him so much that my car was dirty that he started washing and detailing it when he does his. Sometimes his weird OCD habits can be beneficial. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

pretty pauline

What a great discussion Julia, I can so relate to everything you've said, called me stupid but I never realized a dishwasher had a filter, I couldn't find it, so when hubby was at work yesterday I looked for the booklet with the operating instructions, read it and showed me where the filter was, at the bottom of the dishwasher, I took it out and gosh it was completely clogged, yet it was working fine, so I cleared it and said absolutely nothing to hubby lol.
If I hadn't found it, then a few months from now if it stopped working I know exactly what hubby would say  ''oh gosh Pauline luv you haven't been cleaning filter sweetie'' when it comes to technical stuff hubby thinks I'm clueless, yes he does mow the lawn and fixes everything, but he never touches a vacuum and never does dusting or polishing, he does expect me to do the traditional women's jobs but I suppose he does all the man stuff, as for cars, he'd never never let me near car maintenance in a million years, according to hubby, somethings are best left to a man to work out.
If your going thru hell, just keep going.
  •  

TonyaW

Had the same dishwasher at our house for 20 years and it worked just fine without ever cleaning a filter that I had no idea was there, much less needed to be cleaned.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

GingerVicki

I checked the roller on the vacuum today. I guess I have to hold my head low. I probably would have gotten some mansplaining. 
:icon_blahblah:
  •  

TonyaW

I totally knew about the roller and hair.  We had a central vacuum that the roller was not powered, worked only on the suction. That thing needed to be cleaned just about every use.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

LizK

So dishwashers have filters...who knew...I didn't for the first 2 years we had one...and I will admit that wasn't until recently that I did  :laugh:
I once used a hacksaw to "fix" the rear wheel axel on my bike because when I finally managed put it back together, there was too much of the axel shaft stuck out on one side, so I sawed it off and now it matched the other side...gee I just wanted it to look nice,  :laugh: 
Liz

Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Allison S

My roommate tried to get me to clean the common area because I "suggested getting a cleaning service" 2 or 3 MONTHS prior... He came to me asking to either help clean or chip in money for the service.. Well I was getting ready to move and lived in filth thanks to the 3rd roommate.. When I mentioned my problems with how messy the other 3rd rommate was..this roomates response now was "well he's a good guy, right?". I just looked at him dumbfounded... I felt bad because he was asking me for help but I'm sorry, I can't clean up after a slob! Nope, especially not a roommate I barely even know... [emoji23]

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: Allison S on August 26, 2018, 06:23:14 AM
My roommate tried to get me to clean the common area because I "suggested getting a cleaning service" 2 or 3 MONTHS prior... He came to me asking to either help clean or chip in money for the service.. Well I was getting ready to move and lived in filth thanks to the 3rd roommate.. When I mentioned my problems with how messy the other 3rd rommate was..this roomates response now was "well he's a good guy, right?". I just looked at him dumbfounded... I felt bad because he was asking me for help but I'm sorry, I can't clean up after a slob! Nope, especially not a roommate I barely even know... [emoji23]

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

According to my dad Tyler is such a slob because of me. I get so annoyed at the awful totally half ass job he does when he actually would do something that I would just do it myself. My dad said Tyler knew that would happen and did a sorry ass job on purpose and that I was a sucker to fall for it. He also told me I gave in too easily when Tyler got his pitiful tone of voice and flashed the sad puppy eyes and ended up doing what he was supposed to have done for him.  I'm afraid I've done Tyler's future wife or girlfriend a disservice. I only hope she can cook. Tyler is totally spoiled with homemade food. He turns his nose up at most frozen or prepackaged food now. Once a girl he was dating made him dinner and served him instant mashed potatoes and served him store bought cookies for dessert. The way he went on about that you would have thought she served him a plate steaming dog doo doo. All I can say to the future woman in his life is "I am really sorry"!
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

pretty pauline

Quote from: gingerViktorKay on August 25, 2018, 08:47:11 PM
I checked the roller on the vacuum today. I guess I have to hold my head low. I probably would have gotten some mansplaining. 
:icon_blahblah:

Lucky you checked the vacuum roller, I received a very large dose of mansplaining on Saturday morning, my brother emailed me flight boarding passes to print, no problem, received the email then printed off 1 pass, when I started to print off the 2nd pass the paper twisted and got stuck in the printer, so I removed the damage paper and replaced it with new fresh paper, then press PRINT, the printer wouldn't work, ink cartridges looked ok, I spent nearly 1 hour pressing PRINT and it refused to print, OMG when I started to panic I just gave up, ARGHHH!!! Gosh is the printer broke, I tried switching off and restarting but it was still dead.

Then hubby arrived home and told him what happen, he gave a few right clicks with the computer mouse and the printer came back to life, then with had a big smirk he says ''there's nothing wrong with the printer Pauline sweetie'' bla bla bla, I got a big dose of mansplaining, when the paper got stuck the printer it was in a ''printing session'' and when the bad paper was removed and replaced by good paper it was still frozen in the previous ''printing session'' so to get it working again, that session has to be cancelled and a new session started, very simple Pauline, it only takes a very seconds, WELL HOW THE HELL WAS I TO KNOW THAT and I still don't understand it. My brother called by on Saturday afternoon to collect his boarding passes, hubby couldn't resist telling him what happen earlier, then my brother started mansplaining the exact conversation my husband had with me earlier, hubby and brother burst out laughing, hubby is still teasing me about it, ''leave the complicated technology to guys who understand it Pauline, good girl'' I know he's only teasing, but I've never felt so foolish and silly, well at least I didn't break the printer and it's still working, maybe that why they can laugh about it, mansplaining ARGHHH!!!!!
  •  

Lady Sarah

Quote from: Julia1996 on August 26, 2018, 07:44:36 AM
According to my dad Tyler is such a slob because of me. I get so annoyed at the awful totally half ass job he does when he actually would do something that I would just do it myself. My dad said Tyler knew that would happen and did a sorry ass job on purpose and that I was a sucker to fall for it. He also told me I gave in too easily when Tyler got his pitiful tone of voice and flashed the sad puppy eyes and ended up doing what he was supposed to have done for him.  I'm afraid I've done Tyler's future wife or girlfriend a disservice. I only hope she can cook. Tyler is totally spoiled with homemade food. He turns his nose up at most frozen or prepackaged food now. Once a girl he was dating made him dinner and served him instant mashed potatoes and served him store bought cookies for dessert. The way he went on about that you would have thought she served him a plate steaming dog doo doo. All I can say to the future woman in his life is "I am really sorry"!

If Tyler wants someone to do everything for him, he needs to start dating girls that ain't dumber than a brick. As long as he keeps looking for braindead girls, he won't find one that can cook and clean the way he wants. And, as long as he is in his present situation, you are stuck with him.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

pretty pauline

Quote from: gingerViktorKay on August 24, 2018, 09:49:37 AM
I never understood why men will mow the lawn but not vacuum. Aren't they basically the same thing?
I totally agree, it is basically the same thing, I'm now married to my husband 8 years and in all that time I've never seen him vacuum, we have a motor powered lawnmower which he does use to mow the lawn and other power tools, drills and stuff, but never touches vacuum, I guess it's not a ''guy thing'' he is a typical alpha male guy and just doesn't want to be seen with a vacuum around the house, too much associated with housework, cleaning etc, that's the only reason I can think of why, in our 8 years of marriage I've always done the vacuum, laundry ironing, cooking, cleaning, dusting etc hubby will do anything, but not housework, vacuum or dusting.
  •