Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Mansplaining as a pack behavior.

Started by Julia1996, August 24, 2018, 07:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia1996

Hi everyone.  I've experienced every kind of Mansplaining but last night was the first time I've ever seen it as a type of pack behavior among guys. So yesterday evening my grandpa happened to be at our house. Pretty much just an average evening until I asked Tyler to put the vacuum in my trunk so I could take it to the service center today. Instead of just doing what I asked he said " how did you break the vacuum"? Loud enough for my dad to hear so then he asks me what was wrong with the vacuum. I told him it wasn't picking up very well. He says " that vacuum cost as much as a used car and it's less than 2 years old. There shouldn't be any problems with it. What have you been doing to it"?? My first reaction was to tell him only a total klewdge would pay that much for something that should cost 100 bucks at the most, but actually saying that to him would not have been smart. I told him I hadn't done anything with it, well except for taking it outside and vacuuming all the leaves off the front lawn a few times. He told me no one liked a little smart ass and to go get it and bring it to him.

Unfortunately for me he found the roller thing totally covered and wrapped with my hair. So thus starts the Mansplaining and lecturing. And Tyler, Tristan and my grandfather ALL join in. Of all the times not to have any cyanide capsules on hand! How was I supposed to know to check the roller thing? It's supposed to suck the hair up, not wrap it around the stupid roller!  So finally the Mansplaining is starting to wind down after my dad had cut a pile of hair off the stupid roller and told me like five times to check it from now on. Then I swear if Tyler didnt pull the bag out which was pretty full. That started a whole new round of Mansplaining about not letting the bag get too full. I did point out that it wasn't totally full but I got mansplained about changing it when it was just half full, blah, blah.

So then my dad started Mansplaining that it was important to "maintain" the vacuum just like it was important to clean the lint thing on the dryer or clean the filter in the dishwasher. Filter in the dishwasher? ?? I didn't say that of course but I guess the look on my face said it for me. My dad said " please tell me you're cleaning the filter in the dishwasher Julia". Tyler said he was totally sure I probably wasn't. I never knew there was a filter in a dishwasher. My dad swears he showed me where it was and how to take it out and clean it right after they installed it. But if he did I totally don't remember it. I do remember my dad pointing out all the different settings and features right after we got it but he went on and on to the point I was so totally bored I thought about sticking my hand in the garbage disposal and turning it on just to end the boredom. So I was bound to forget some of what he was going on about. So he immediately goes into the kitchen followed by the other 3 guys and pulls out the dishwasher filter.  Yeah, ok, it was NASTY. I had never cleaned it because I didn't know it was there. All four of them let out an actual gasp and looked at me like I had just farted loudly in the middle of someone's wedding vows. Then my grandpa said " well what did you expect? Mixing females with machinery is just asking for disaster" OMG! Talk about Mansplaining, scolding and lecturing!  I felt like a baby gazelle surrounded by a pack of lions. I've never experienced Mansplaining as a group activity before. What an unpleasant experience! 

Of course I have Tyler's big mouth to thank for the whole thing. I owe him a batch of laxative brownies. Right after I brush my dog's teeth with his toothbrush.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Charlotte F

I'm amazed at how a team of such knowledgeable, able men haven't thought to perhaps chip in with the household duties and maybe give the filter a quick rinse or give the vacuum a little service.  This is 2018 and not 1950!!!

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: Charlotte F on August 24, 2018, 08:07:37 AM
I'm amazed at how a team of such knowledgeable, able men haven't thought to perhaps chip in with the household duties and maybe give the filter a quick rinse or give the vacuum a little service.  This is 2018 and not 1950!!!

My dad's thinking about this stuff is that I need to learn how to do simple things as far as home maintenance as he calls it. The guys help with the housework? HA! Not likely. When Tristan first moved in he would do a few things. He would help me clean up the kitchen after dinner, he would vacuum sometimes and even sort of clean our bathroom. But then Tyler started telling him he was " pussy whipped". After which he pretty much stopped doing any of the inside stuff around the house.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Charlotte F

Quote from: Julia1996 on August 24, 2018, 08:18:12 AM
The guys help with the housework? HA! Not likely. When Tristan first moved in he would do a few things. He would help me clean up the kitchen after dinner, he would vacuum sometimes and even sort of clean our bathroom. But then Tyler started telling him he was " pussy whipped". After which he pretty much stopped doing any of the inside stuff around the house.

Haha! that's the worst part of pack behaviour!!!  I think your problem is you are well and truly outnumbered in that house!
  •  

Lucca

I love the idea of four people making one person do all the chores and then complaining that they're doing it wrong >_>.
  •  

GingerVicki

I am sorry but manspaining! I love it. It sounds so official and proper. I've always called it bitchin' and your manspaining almost made me double over with laughter.

Your situation sucks. Welcome to unfiltered, unadulterated womanhood.

Speaking of which I have to vacuum, do laundry, dished, and dust. I think I'm gonna check the roller on the vacuum and the dishwasher filter. I totally forgot to check them and it's been about 4 months. :(
  •  

Chloe

Here ya go Julia! Youtube is your friend (youtube.com/watch?v=yDvaiNNYdAI)!

My G5 Kirby (what else can it be?)  is over 20 years old, made completely of metal (important parts anyway) and totally "rebuildable", right down to the bearings in the armature. Used to sell and fix them as a youngin in my grandparent's shop in Iowa (farm country) and point is always thought of it as a "man's vacuum" . . .

To be put on man's maintenance schedule right along-side the cars and front yard!

(ps: never saw a "leaf attachment"? Something new? )
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Lucca on August 24, 2018, 08:44:05 AM
I love the idea of four people making one person do all the chores and then complaining that they're doing it wrong >_>.

Thankfully my grandpa doesn't live with us. He is my grandma's problem. He just happened to be at our house last night when this incident happened. But yes, Tyler, Tristan, and my dad will ALL try to mansplain any number of things to me. It doesn't matter if it happens to be something I know more about.  Tyler makes sure to mansplain to keep my clippers oiled EVERY single time I cut his hair and not to ever use my hair shears to cut anything but hair and be careful not to drop them or they could get out of alignment. Yeah, thanks Mr.Wizard, I only use scissors and clippers every day at work. And even more astounding is the fact that both Tyler and Tristan have tried to mansplain things about cooking to me a few times. COOKING!  This from 2 people who need a recipie to make a bowl of cereal!
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Kiera on August 24, 2018, 08:53:03 AM
Here ya go Julia! Youtube is your friend (youtube.com/watch?v=yDvaiNNYdAI)!

My G5 Kirby (what else can it be?)  is over 20 years old, made completely of metal (important parts anyway) and totally "rebuildable", right down to the bearings in the armature. Used to sell and fix them as a youngin in my grandparent's shop in Iowa (farm country) and point is always thought of it as a "man's vacuum" . . .

To be put on man's maintenance schedule right along-side the cars and front yard!

(ps: never saw a "leaf attachment"? Something new? )

Oh thanks. I never thought about YouTube having clips of how to maintain your Kirby. Hmm, maybe they have some demos on how to use all those attachments. I know how to put on the hose but I have no clue how to use the boxes of other stuff that wash floors and all that. The guy did show how to use all that stuff during the demo but I wasn't paying attention. Actually I was playing on my phone to keep from dying of complete boredom!
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: gingerViktorKay on August 24, 2018, 08:46:50 AM
I am sorry but manspaining! I love it. It sounds so official and proper. I've always called it bitchin' and your manspaining almost made me double over with laughter.

Your situation sucks. Welcome to unfiltered, unadulterated womanhood.

Speaking of which I have to vacuum, do laundry, dished, and dust. I think I'm gonna check the roller on the vacuum and the dishwasher filter. I totally forgot to check them and it's been about 4 months. :(

Oh yeah, Mansplaining.  I had never heard that term before I joined this site. The first time someone used it, it cracked me up too. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

LizK

Julia you do realise this could all be the calm before the storm, watch out for the Vacuum cleaner Matinenenace PowerPoint presentation and the compulsory 50 question multiple choice test about said presentation  ;D...they have all the answers till you put a vacuum cleaner in there hands IQ's drop by 40 points...puts some of them in the negative...just kidding 
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: LizK on August 24, 2018, 09:29:19 AM
Julia you do realise this could all be the calm before the storm, watch out for the Vacuum cleaner Matinenenace PowerPoint presentation and the compulsory 50 question multiple choice test about said presentation  ;D...they have all the answers till you put a vacuum cleaner in there hands IQ's drop by 40 points...puts some of them in the negative...just kidding

I know exactly what you mean! When the guy demonstrated that vacuum I was totally bored and wanted to be anyplace else. My dad and Tyler on the other hand thought the vacuum and the multitudes if attachments that went on it were the coolest thing. Stupid me, I remember thinking to myself that if my dad bought the thing at least it would interest he and Tyler in vacuuming. Yeah, no. Right after my dad bought it I was doing housework and I asked Tyler if he wanted to vacuum. He looked at me like I had lost my mind and asked why I thought he would ever want to vacuum. I told him he had thought the stupid vacuum was so cool I thought he might like to use it. He said no he would not and that HE didn't vacuum. That was MY job. Despite thinking it was cool and spending a small fortune on it I don't think my dad has ever actually used that vacuum either.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

GingerVicki

I never understood why men will mow the lawn but not vacuum. Aren't they basically the same thing?
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: gingerViktorKay on August 24, 2018, 09:49:37 AM
I never understood why men will mow the lawn but not vacuum. Aren't they basically the same thing?

I think they are pretty close but guys don't seem to think so. More than once Tyler has said " be glad you only have to vacuum. Try mowing the lawn sometime"! 
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

itsApril

Maybe you should tell the guys that you're just a helpless female who has a hard time understanding complicated mechanical devices, so the right thing to do would be for THEM to get off their butts and ASSUME ALL VACUUMING DUTIES around the house.  They're SUCH EXPERTS that they'll be sure to do a great job and keep that vacuum cleaner running at peak efficiency!

As they busily vacuum the carpets, you can stroll along beside them, batting your eyelashes fetchingly, while they further explain the nuances of advanced vacuum cleaner technology . . .
-April
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: itsApril on August 24, 2018, 01:07:59 PM
Maybe you should tell the guys that you're just a helpless female who has a hard time understanding complicated mechanical devices, so the right thing to do would be for THEM to get off their butts and ASSUME ALL VACUUMING DUTIES around the house.  They're SUCH EXPERTS that they'll be sure to do a great job and keep that vacuum cleaner running at peak efficiency!

As they busily vacuum the carpets, you can stroll along beside them, batting your eyelashes fetchingly, while they further explain the nuances of advanced vacuum cleaner technology . . .

LOL love it
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: itsApril on August 24, 2018, 01:07:59 PM

That's hilarious. 😂  Yeah, vacuuming gives me the vapors. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Allison S

Sounds like a lot of testosterone in one room... Lol

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

•  

Lady Sarah

That is just one of the many reasons we got rid of every shred of carpet from the house. Rugs are so much easier to maintain, and sweeping does not cover a roller with hair.

So the guys decide which one will mow the lawn once every week or two during the growing season. BFD! If they don't lift a finger to help out around the house, what good are they? Tell then you'll use the equipment as long as they man up and fix the stuff when they need a real man's attention. Then tell them that if they refuse to man up, they ain't real men.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

DawnOday

I'm so glad you're back. Haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•