Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Being mistaken Intersexed is preventing medical treatment

Started by Osbert, August 27, 2018, 10:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osbert

Hello.
I have a weird problem. I am pretty sure I am male. However about 9 years ago a nurse practitioner ordered labs on my hormones. The results were weird. I was told I had hormone levels which are "unheard of in a male which in a female would indicate pregnancy". I asked he what that ment and she said she can't answer because there are "laws" which say I have to tell her why I have female hormones first. I think she wanted me to say I was intersexed. However I don't think I am. At first I did consider being intersexed a possibility and talked to my family about it. They all thought I was expressing interest in Transgenderism and homosexuality and they were very hurtful and rude about it...except for my sister who didn't understand but who said she always wanted a "sister". However even she thought I meant a transsexual situation and didn't know about intersexed stuff. However since that time I did something which to me seems to prove that I am not and could not be intersexed. I got my wife pregnant three times! The second time she miscarried which was quite sad so I only have two kids to show for it, but still I seem perfectly able to impregnate my wife. I am fairly sure she has never cheated. She is terrible at lying and keeping secrets and just doesn't have it in her to deceive me on that level. Anyway I have read that there has never been a person who can reproduce as both genders so I find it highly unlikely that I am anything other than male. I also looked at my reproductive fluids in a microscope a long time ago in college and it looked like normal sperm to me. However I have talked to other doctors since then who also refuse to help me saying there are "laws" that I must tell them why I have female hormones first for them to do anything. Some of them can get quite rude and hurtful and the first nurse practitioner I mentioned even red taped me out of the hospital saying she didn't want to "ruin" her "Career" dealing with "weird stuff". Now I used to think it was just a fluke and that the lab had made a mistake. Then a few years ago my wife had a pregnancy test she did not need that was going to expire so as a joke I peed on it. The pregnancy test then turned positive. I really don't know what in the world that would mean. I also have tremendous difficulty losing weight and have terrible wild random pregnancy like cravings all the time.

All this being said I have a unique personality, and while I am confident and happy being a male and identify as male I would actually be just as confident and happy to be intersexed if that was the case. It's such a rare and unique gift that some people are born able, even if only in some small way, to experience biologically being both genders. I think the way society treats intersexed people is terrible. However, for all that I really don't think I am intersexed and just am having trouble getting help with whatever in the world really is going on with my body. I just can't get help because of this weird law which apparently demands I must self-identify as intersexed when I have no real reason to do so and don't really believe I am.
  •  

Jessica

Hi Osbert 🙋‍♀️ Welcome to Susan's Place!  I'm Jessica.
You may be "intersexed", a doctor should look into it.  It could explain a lot.
I'm not sure what area you live in, but in my area, I know of no laws that require you to explain why your body is the way it is.  That's up to the doctors to figure out.

I see your new here, so I'll post some links that may help you get better acquainted with the site. Pay attention to the site rules they can be of great help and don't forget the link highlighted red.  It has answers to questions that are commonly asked.  Then join in on a topic you find interesting and learn and share.

Please feel free to stop by the Introductions Forum to tell the members about yourself!

Things that you should read

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

josie76

Pregnancy tests usually check levels of hCG. This hormone in males is normally very low but functions like LH and triggers the leydig cells to produce more testosterone and thereby more sperm. Perhaps the doctors are assuming you are taking some kind of supplement to increase testosterone. This is sometimes done by body builders because it increases their own bodies T production instead of injecting equine T derivatives.

If you are not taking body building supplements or medications then you may have something wrong in your endocrine system. You should check with a doctor again and assure them you are not taking anything. Sometimes unexplained hormone levels are created due to benign tumors so it should be looked at.

If you have any blood test levels to share it might get more uneducated guesses from the forum members like mine.
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•  

Lady Sarah

Perhaps a karyotype test could be done to determine your chromosomal situation. Males are generally XY, and females are usually XX. If something else shows up (such as XXY), it may explain it, although even that is not perfectly cut and dry. I have heard of females with XY chromosomes bearing children.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

PurplePelican

Intersex=Sterile is not a hard and fast rule. I have a friend who is XXY (and trans) and has kids - she was also SPECFOR.  You need a karotype test to know for sure.
This is not medical advice. Always consult your doctor.
  •  

Kendra

Quote from: Osbert on August 27, 2018, 10:44:32 AM
> she said she can't answer because there are "laws" which say I have to tell her why I have female hormones first

Quote from: Osbert on August 27, 2018, 10:44:32 AM
> I have talked to other doctors since then who also refuse to help me saying there are "laws" that I must tell them why I have female hormones first for them to do anything

Quote from: Osbert on August 27, 2018, 10:44:32 AM> I just can't get help because of this weird law which apparently demands I must self-identify as intersexed

I'm not aware of any such law.  Which country are you in? 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •