Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

MtF Voice and Additional

Started by StrangeWritings, September 09, 2018, 08:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StrangeWritings

Hi everyone. I'm looking to get into some voice training and make use of my mornings. I have a particular issue however, as I'm not only in the dark on how to actually do this training to more feminize my voice but actually I need to be able to get full control. You see, I play table top games and have also dabbled in acting. I want to improve my craft but working on my range of voices feels like I would betray my feminine voice, or at least going into it blind feels like it would.  Is there anyone who can push me on a path that can help me get better control and understanding of the art of manipulating my voice? I suppose I would just settle on working towards a feminine voice but my hobbies do require a range of personalities.
  •  

Sam1066

Well, from what I have seen on YouTube, people who feminize the pitch of their voice can go back (with effort) to the lower voice on demand, it doesnt seem to be "lost". In my own experience, I never use my low range (127Hz) but I always can if I want it, my top end is about 222Hz and mid (androgynous) voice is something like 176Hz to 185Hz which has been my default for a long time.

I would suggest getting voice lessons, they tent to give you greater control and flexibility, I haven't heard of anyone "loosing" the ability to sound masculine.

Because tone and word choice are so important in male vs female speech, if you get good at acting I dont see why you couldn't pull up either one as needed. Again, I say go for bbn it with the speech coach.
Sam?
  •  

Tara P

I'm very new to voice training but I sing so I also still need to be able to do other voices.  Unless you have surgery I don't think you'll lose much from your lower range and even that can be regained.  It just might not feel as natural but as an actor that's maybe less of a problem too?

Voice lessons are the best option if you can afford them since they are experts and can tell you what mistakes you are making.  There are some good videos on youtube too that you can pick up some tips from.  I was able to get into the female pitch range pretty quickly, but there is so much more to a convincing female voice like inflections and the timbre and texture of your voice.  Just from singing I know there are some female singers who have songs that are all in the "masculine range" and "androgynous range", yet they have unmistakably female voices.
  •