Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Birth certificate

Started by Lucca, September 11, 2018, 07:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucca

A lot of people want to get their gender on their birth certificate changed, so I was just wondering, what exactly is a birth certificate used for, or where would you be required to present it? I'm not disputing anyone's ability or desire to have it changed, it's just that I can't think of a single time I've had to present my birth certificate for anything.
  •  

KarynMcD

Applying for:
Drivers license, passport, social security card....
  •  

Lucca

Maybe I was required to present my birth certificate to get my passport or the first time I got my license... I don't remember now. And I've had a Social Security card since I was born, but I guess if you don't already have one a birth certificate might be the best form of ID to get one.

Thanks!
  •  

Devlyn

I just got a passport this year, I submitted my male name birth certificate and my court ordered name change along with current female ID, and had no problems. Female passport came in three weeks.

Some people change their birth certificates just because they want an F on it. I subscribe to the "I'll never need to update this, and I already spent $50 for a copy that works just fine, I'm not dumping another $50" school of thought.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Kendra

Some local governments and situations require birth certificate before other forms of ID can be updated.  In many cases a birth certificate update isn't necessary.  I didn't update my birth certificate, and updated everything else. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

KatieP

Because we like consistency?

I very much like the idea that there are very few places with an M next to my name.

Is that needed/required? Perhaps not, but I have a ton of things in my life that are about preference. For instance my panties. They could be tighty-whitey jockey shorts. No one sees them, and for 99% of my clothing, it wouldn't matter. And, they'd be a lot cheaper than the panties I actually wear. But I would know. For most of my life, it was important that I knew me, even if no one else could even see me. Even if no one ever sees the BC, I would know...

Kate
  •  

ainsley

The Real ID law passed after 9/11 requires states to scan BC or SSN card and retain it:

QuoteCongress passed Real ID in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Missouri's state lawmakers had resisted the federal mandate over privacy concerns. Some took issue with Real ID's requirement that states scan and retain copies of drivers' identification documents, such as birth certificates and Social Security cards.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article217941740.html

I would prefer they retain the BC with my real gender listed on it.
Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

KathyLauren

Every jurisdiction has different rules.  Where I live, you currently cannot get the gender marker on your driver's license or health care care changed without first changing your birth certificate.  That is a real problem for people who were born in jurisdictions that refuse to change them.  My driver's license currently has an M on it for that reason. :(

Luckily for me, that rule is changing, and it will soon be possible for my to get alternative documentation that can then be used to change my regular ID.

The point is that you need to research what the rules are where you live and where you were born.  It is different everywhere.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Dena

I went for years without updating my birth certificate however I recently updated it. The reason is by 2020 to fly on American aircraft you will need to have an ID that meets the real id requirements. This means you will need to submit your birth certificate to get a drivers license and they will match your driers license to your birth certificate. In the past I was able to have a different gender on my license that my brith certificate however I am not sure that will be true in the future with real id.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

KatieP

In California anyway, to get the Real ID compliant license, you can show BC or Social Security card. Since the Social Security card doesn't have gender on it, that might be an easy route if the BS doesn't match your other ID...

Kate
  •  

Sydney_NYC

Quote from: Dena on September 22, 2018, 05:51:34 PM
I went for years without updating my birth certificate however I recently updated it. The reason is by 2020 to fly on American aircraft you will need to have an ID that meets the real id requirements. This means you will need to submit your birth certificate to get a drivers license and they will match your driers license to your birth certificate. In the past I was able to have a different gender on my license that my brith certificate however I am not sure that will be true in the future with real id.

A US passport already meets the Real-ID requirements and that can also be used instead of a birth certificate (and for domestic flying for 2020). This is a good thing since I can't change my TN Birth Certificate because the will not change it at all even though I've had surgery.
Sydney

Born - 1970
Came Out To Self/Wife - Sept-21-2013
Started therapy - Oct-15-2013
Laser and Electrolysis - Oct-24-2013
HRT - Dec-12-2013
Full time - Mar-15-2014
Name change  - June-23-2014
GCS - Nov-2-2017 (Dr Rachel Bluebond-Langner)

•  

Dena

Quote from: Sydney_NYC on September 23, 2018, 01:50:25 AM
A US passport already meets the Real-ID requirements and that can also be used instead of a birth certificate (and for domestic flying for 2020).
That's my problem. I have never had or needed a passport and Arizona up to now didn't provide real id licenses. I was looking at not being able to fly.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Sydney_NYC

Quote from: Dena on September 23, 2018, 02:55:47 AM
That's my problem. I have never had or needed a passport and Arizona up to now didn't provide real id licenses. I was looking at not being able to fly.

It's always a good idea to keep a current passport as you just never know. They are good for 10 years and you don't need surgery or change your birth certificate to change the gender marker on them.
Sydney

Born - 1970
Came Out To Self/Wife - Sept-21-2013
Started therapy - Oct-15-2013
Laser and Electrolysis - Oct-24-2013
HRT - Dec-12-2013
Full time - Mar-15-2014
Name change  - June-23-2014
GCS - Nov-2-2017 (Dr Rachel Bluebond-Langner)

•  

sarah1972

It does depend a bit on the country of citizenship. In Germany for example, you have to present it whenever you renew your ID (ID's are mandatory), your passport, when you get married and in several other cases. I always found it silly since they can see I am born and they have checked it every time. But - it is what it is. Changing is another big drama.

If you don't have a requirement to change it, save the money as @Devlyn stated.

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: sarah1972 on September 24, 2018, 04:39:40 AM
It does depend a bit on the country of citizenship. In Germany for example, you have to present it whenever you renew your ID (ID's are mandatory), your passport, when you get married and in several other cases. I always found it silly since they can see I am born and they have checked it every time. But - it is what it is. Changing is another big drama.

If you don't have a requirement to change it, save the money as @Devlyn stated.

And of course, feel free to send the money to me!  :laugh:
  •  

sarah1972

Quote from: Devlyn on September 24, 2018, 04:51:48 AM

And of course, feel free to send the money to me!  :laugh:

You now live in the land of Brexit. You are on your own  ;D ;D ;D ;D

•  

Devlyn

•  

Barb99

I just received a Real ID drivers license about a month ago. I did not have to submit a birth cert.
Passport, bank statement and utility bill is all I needed.
  •  

tgchar21

Quote from: Barb99 on September 24, 2018, 11:48:15 AM
I just received a Real ID drivers license about a month ago. I did not have to submit a birth cert.
Passport, bank statement and utility bill is all I needed.

Birth certificates and passports are both acceptable as "Primary ID" under Real ID.
  •