Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

PA name change without a lawyer?

Started by blackcat, September 12, 2018, 07:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackcat

Did anyone do this?

From what I understand, I can get the form and file it myself? I don't want to think about paying a lawyer on top of all the filing fees.

The process seems pretty straightforward. The only part that concerns me is getting the paper publication waived because no way am I making an announcement to the world about this. You know. ;)

Did you hit any snags along the way? I've also heard that getting a lawyer could make the process go faster.

I am planning to disappear completely in 6 months, so I'm hoping I can get all the legal stuff done in a timely fashion. I've heard of people getting court dates 1-3 months out after filing.

Experiences? Thanks.
  •  

Devlyn

Looks like you're SOL about the newspaper publishing in PA, you'll have to do a fingerprint background check as well. Here's all the info: https://www.susans.org/wiki/Category:Documentation_changes

FYI, even without the newspaper, name changes are public information and easily found online.

Good luck!

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

blackcat

Thanks for the link!

Ugh, I got advice from someone in another county, and I went through this huge song and dance to get fingerprinted digitally (all the local offices were bought out by a company, and then that company's only new location close to me was indefinitely closed). But. I need to get fingerprinted in ink, again, for my county. ~.~

I went to the courthouse today, and I was shocked by how straightforward everything was. Every person I spoke to was really helpful.

There's a long list of Random Departments I Have To Call, but I think I can get it all filed by Monday.

I've seen things from other counties about getting the newspaper publication waived, but the last hurdle is figuring out how to do it... for my county.

Just don't remind the crazy people around me that public information can be found online...  ;)
  •  

familyfarm

We are in Broome County, Ny. Border of PA but my son  and I both made a point to the clerk first when giving app at the courthouse that he  waive the newspaper pub stressing it was a transgender name change. They took it as a priority. Even in PA, you should be able to request it. Make it first thing you say, it affects how it is filed with the judge.

Best of luck. Its very simple, had no problems. My son was nervous going to court and there was no need to be.

Sorry, son was changing his name to Matteo Angelo and we did it by following the steps on-online. It did cost $246 plus a few other fees, however it's possible to get a reduced fee where you live.
  •  

Janes Groove

Check out this website started by a friend of mine who is a lawyer.  I used it to do a lo-cost name change without a lawyer.

www.namechangeproject.org

It's specifically geared toward Colorado but has great information about how to change one's name.
  •  

blackcat

I wanted to update for anyone who might be curious:

The entire process was *extremely* straightforward, with the exception of getting the notice of publication waived. When you submit your request for a change of name to the prothonotary, you HAVE to simultaneously submit a petition to waive the publication.

The only catch? There is no form to waive the publication. I'm talking I sat in The Law Library and dug for hours with a bunch of knowledgeable people and it isn't there. So you have to write your own. So it looks legal-ish.

What I ended up doing was printing a form called "praecipe for determination," and filled it out with my reasons for not wanting to publish the name change (violence against transgender people, etc.). Then on the form where it says "praecipe for determination," the prothonotary told me to white that out and simply write, "petition to waive publication."

I submitted it all. The judge received my request that day, and I received the letter in the mail today that my requirement to publish an article was officially waived.

I was ABSOLUTELY STUMPED about what to do because I had no idea how to write up a petition in legalese, so thank god the librarian helped me find a form to use as a template for what I needed.

For anyone else in my county: the librarian also permanently added that form to the database, because apparently lots of trans people come through and get stumped at this step, so now it's on the computer with all the other name change forms.
  •