Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

How I came out to 100 people without any issues

Started by Denise, September 13, 2018, 01:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denise

I posted this about a year ago but I've received positive feedback from some friends who have come out recently so I thought I'd post it again.

I thought about my spiel for a long time and all the possible reactions until I honed the words to my satisfaction. This is how I came out to about 100 people, one or two at a time without and blowback.

With only a few exceptions I came out in a public place like a coffee shop or restaurant without wait staff since I didn't want to be interrupted.

Me:  Have you ever heard of Gender Dysphoria? (Note that only 2 knew what it was)

Them: No

Me: it's the clinical diagnosis for people who are transgender. (Close enough for laymen.)

(Pause)

Me: and I've been diagnosed with it by multiple medical professionals.

(Pause)

Them:  (responses varied, wow, really, how long...)

I never actually say "I'm transgender" as I want them to make that connection.  I found that method removed any option of "choosing" or "choice" in the discussion.  I've been diagnosed with something and the way to, pardon the inaccuracies, cure G.D. is to transition.

The conversations lasted from 20 seconds (in an elevator going 7 floors) to +2 hours with multiple follow ups.

If you do something like this, I'd love to hear your experiences; reply with your successes and failures

Good luck and best wishes. 

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

1st Person out: 16-Oct-2015
Restarted Spironolactone 26-Aug-2016
Restarted Estradiol Valerate: 02-Nov-2016
Full time: 02-Mar-2017
Breast Augmentation (Schechter): 31-Oct-2017
FFS (Walton in Chicago): 25-Sep-2018
Vaginoplasty (Schechter): 13-Dec-2018

A haiku in honor of my grandmother who loved them.

The Voices are Gone
Living Life to the Fullest
I am just Denise
  •  

KathyLauren

Denise, perhaps I got the idea from you.  I know I got it from someone on Susan's.  Whoever it was, that is exactly the approach I used for the two neighbourhood groups I came out to in person.  In both cases, I made the announcement in a regular meeting of the group.

I said exactly what you suggest: that G.D. is the diagnosis used for people who are transgender, and that I have been diagnosed with it.  It made the point that it was a medical condition, and that it was diagnosed by professionals, and was not a choice.  And I went on to say that the cure is to transition to the proper gender.

In both cases, I got a few surprised looks, but no negative reactions at all.  I got expressions of support and acceptance.  One lady, who has had some difficult LGBT issues in her family got teary-eyed and was effusive in her support.

For a couple of other groups I came out to, I did a mass email to the group mailing list.  Both groups consisted of intelligent, informed people, so I had fairly high confidence that it would go well.  My email read, in part:
Quote.  I wanted to give you a heads-up that I am changing my name.  My new name will be Kathy.  Okay, obviously there is more changing than just my name.  I am transitioning to live as the woman I was meant to be. This is not a hasty or sudden decision.  It has been on my mind for the last 62 years.
In both cases, I had a huge number of positive responses, and none negative.  I feel loved and supported in both groups.

So, yes, I can vouch for your approach.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •