Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Next big test - flying.

Started by Nina, November 06, 2018, 06:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nina

Prior to transitioning and living full time 10 years ago, I was on a plane every week. I have not flown anywhere since, but hubby and I are leaving Canada next week - heading to Spain for two weeks.
This will be a real test for me. First nine years of my transition, I felt I needed makeup just to leave the house. Makeup was a crutch I needed to feel confident.
Something happened a year ago, can't explain what...maybe just not caring what others think, I stopped wearing makeup. It's now been 11 months since I applied any makeup. Sort of feels like liberation.
So, next week, it'll be interesting. We have a pond plane taking us to a small airport (we live off-grid in a cabin), then small flight to Toronto, then long flight to Madrid. It'll be a big test as I won't wear makeup, I'll be surrounded by thousands of people, going through airport security. Am I nervous? Oh, a wee bit.
No doubt, like the past 10 years, will come out of this trip feeling like why was I even worried. Lol
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Nina on November 06, 2018, 06:33:34 AM
Prior to transitioning and living full time 10 years ago, I was on a plane every week. I have not flown anywhere since, but hubby and I are leaving Canada next week - heading to Spain for two weeks.
This will be a real test for me. First nine years of my transition, I felt I needed makeup just to leave the house. Makeup was a crutch I needed to feel confident.
Something happened a year ago, can't explain what...maybe just not caring what others think, I stopped wearing makeup. It's now been 11 months since I applied any makeup. Sort of feels like liberation.
So, next week, it'll be interesting. We have a pond plane taking us to a small airport (we live off-grid in a cabin), then small flight to Toronto, then long flight to Madrid. It'll be a big test as I won't wear makeup, I'll be surrounded by thousands of people, going through airport security. Am I nervous? Oh, a wee bit.
No doubt, like the past 10 years, will come out of this trip feeling like why was I even worried. Lol

I think you will, too.  :)

I was selected for the full body scanner, and I chose to tell the operator I was transgender before the process started. "No problem, miss."..... *scan*....."Step this way, have a nice trip, ma'am."  :)

Enjoy Madrid, Nina.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Colleen_definitely

The TSA kind of gave up on the "we're saving the universe from them tear-rists one grope at a time" act over the last decade. They're usually in full assembly line mode, mindlessly passing people through. Not to say they're efficient but it's better than before.

I have to say that going through USA customs in Toronto was downright painful last time.  It was like waiting in line at the DMV.

I have flown way too stinking much over the last five years. I'm glad to give that habit up at the end of the month.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Kendra

I never had any issues flying after I started transition, before HRT or any other medical changes.  But it was definitely less stressful after updating my ID. 

And enjoy Madrid!
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •