Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Surprised thearpist with voice

Started by roseyfox, November 06, 2018, 12:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roseyfox

Me and thearpist discuss voice training and I am talking to her about how easy it is to change my voice and all. So she starts asking me questions at how I learned to do it. An i just kinda shrug my shoulder and tell her I just turned my brain off basically. An let what is my girl voice come out then learned how to control it from there.

An she was very surprised to see how easy I could switch my whole voice mid sentence. An ask me if I had any problem talking in my girl voice prolonged an I was like no. Then she goes on to tell me alot of trans woman have a really hard time with voice training. An most can't just switch there voice up like I can. Then she ask me how long it took me to perfect my voice and I told her about a month. An she seemed absolutely floored by this.

So is voice training like really hard for others and easy for a few. Or am I just kinda freak of nature here lol. Her shock and surprised confused me up alot.
I rather not
  •  

GingerVicki

•  

Lynne

Your case seems to be relatively rare but you are certainly not alone. I know two trans girls personally who had such luck with their voices, they never needed voice therapy.
I totally get what you are saying about turning your brain off. I experienced something like that myself a few times when I felt carefree and confident and I didn't even try to sound good, my voice was great without effort. I still need to find a way to get there whenever I want.
Trans people often have mental blocks that prevent them from doing certain things and I think a lot of trans girls who would be otherwise capable of sounding female physically, have this mental block that hinders their progress in voice therapy as well. After many years of doing something in a certain way it is very hard to change the old habits, younger people have a little advantage here.
  •  

HappyMoni

This is the hardest thing for me, mentally and physically. You are indeed lucky. Is your original voice deep at all, Rosey?
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

roseyfox

I am normally 127hz on my male voice when talking normally. But I can go very much lower being a base in choir and such. But in female mode I average out at 198hz.
I rather not
  •  

Sky1090

A month?! Yikes. I've been working at it former about 6 months and still can't perfect "the switch". Like, I went for sushi with a couple of friends on Thursday. Nobody questioned my gender until I totally cracked when ordering my drink. I pretty much kept my lips sealed the rest of the night. That was horrible lol
  •  

Linde

My normal voice averages around 185 Hz, which is in the lower female frequency range.  I do not have anything to talk at that average level.  What gives me away is my male speaking pattern, i. e., lowering my vioce at the end of a sentence, instead of raising it like it is typical for females.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

NatalieRene

Quote from: roseyfox on November 06, 2018, 12:18:25 PM
Me and thearpist discuss voice training and I am talking to her about how easy it is to change my voice and all. So she starts asking me questions at how I learned to do it. An i just kinda shrug my shoulder and tell her I just turned my brain off basically. An let what is my girl voice come out then learned how to control it from there.

An she was very surprised to see how easy I could switch my whole voice mid sentence. An ask me if I had any problem talking in my girl voice prolonged an I was like no. Then she goes on to tell me alot of trans woman have a really hard time with voice training. An most can't just switch there voice up like I can. Then she ask me how long it took me to perfect my voice and I told her about a month. An she seemed absolutely floored by this.

So is voice training like really hard for others and easy for a few. Or am I just kinda freak of nature here lol. Her shock and surprised confused me up alot.

It's interesting that you say you turned your brain off and out it came. From what I have read speech is driven from different parts of the brain. I had to go through training to emphasize with pitch and use resonance. It took me longer then you. I can switch back and forward but for me it is a bit jarring and I have to find my voice again. I try not to use a male speech pattern anymore, mostly because I don't care for the sound coming out of me.

My voice tends to range from 150 to 230 hz.
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Dietlind on December 01, 2018, 10:46:22 PM
My normal voice averages around 185 Hz, which is in the lower female frequency range.  I do not have anything to talk at that average level.  What gives me away is my male speaking pattern, i. e., lowering my vioce at the end of a sentence, instead of raising it like it is typical for females.

185hz is closer to medium for a female voice and 5hz over what is considered a male tone. I guess it could be considered a very high pitched male voice with the right speech pattern.

Low would be about 165 but to be perceived female there is also how you speak which includes a sing song type of talking using tone to emphasize and resonating from the mouth instead of the chest.

It's a different thought pattern for sure. :D
  •  

Linde

Quote from: NatalieRene on December 01, 2018, 11:57:57 PM

185hz is closer to medium for a female voice and 5hz over what is considered a male tone. I guess it could be considered a very high pitched male voice with the right speech pattern.

Low would be about 165 but to be perceived female there is also how you speak which includes a sing song type of talking using tone to emphasize and resonating from the mouth instead of the chest.

It's a different thought pattern for sure. :D
I have a natural range between 140 and 235 Hz.  As I said, what gives me away is the way I use this voice.  I have a female type voice box (no visible Adams Apple), I have to force my voice to be lower than 140 Hz.  But I just can't keep me talking in the female speaking pattern, I always fall back into the way to empathize words by lowering my voice.  I know exactly what I do wrong, but I have a hard type to unlearn what I have learned over several decades.  It is a learned behavior, but a hard one to unlearn!
I do resonate from my neck and my head that is naturally for me, my chest is never involved in my sound creation.

It is just the darn speaking pattern!

•  

Linde

How do you ladies, who have an Adams Apple, and thus a relatively large voice box, achieve it to get a high enough pitch in the voice to maintain that pitch throughout a conversation?
I for one, have a hard time to keep my voice manly low throughout a conversation, can you just switch from low to high, and stay high?
If I force myself to speak low, my throat hurts after a short time, do you have a similar experience when you speak high pitched for a while?

•  

AnonyMs

I'm guessing it's the singing that helps. You already know how to use your voice. Most of us don't.
  •