Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Victoria Secret

Started by Alice (nym), November 21, 2018, 07:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice (nym)

I wasn't sure if this one has been mentioned yet... just that I see a lot of girls praising VS as trans friendly and yet...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/victorias-secret-ed-razek-transgender-models-lingerie-trans-controversy-apology-a8627526.html

Independent/by Olivia Petter
Don't hate the hate... Start spreading the love.
  •  

Devlyn

I was treated very well at VS. I went for a fitting and the sales assistant asked what size I usually wear. I told her that I am transgender and just grew the boobs, this was going to be my first bra. We had a blast, she was great.
  •  

Lyric

Well, that was about hiring of models. They'll take our money, but they're not advertising especially to draw us in. When you think about, though, they don't really have to.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Alice (nym) on November 21, 2018, 07:39:34 PM
I wasn't sure if this one has been mentioned yet... just that I see a lot of girls praising VS as trans friendly and yet...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/victorias-secret-ed-razek-transgender-models-lingerie-trans-controversy-apology-a8627526.html

Independent/by Olivia Petter

How could they possibly know if they haven't used a trans model. I read this more as the person has to fit a standard of perceived beauty and they aren't looking for masculine models. I don't blame them for this. I have a bunch of stuff from them. They have great cloths from the website and catalog. They also have some very nice shoes if you're lucky enough to be able to fit in smaller sizes. I can squeak by with their size 9 but the 10 is much more comfortable.

Once I've shed off the weight I have gained I'm sure I'll browse and spend way too much money on their products.
  •  

Donica

I think Natalie made an interesting point. How do they know they haven't already cast a trans women? After all there are trans women in beauty pageants these days.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

SadieBlake

Meh, as the last line in the article says, head of marketing is a 70yo guy who clearly can't talk about trans women without stepping on his p***s (and I'm surprised he wouldn't even have had someone to advise him who'd have a bit more sense about choosing words).

Then he can't do better than this in his apology? ...

QuoteWe've had transgender models come to castings... and like many others, they didn't make it... But it was never about gender. I admire and respect [blah blah blah]

(My point being, how could it be about their gender, they're women already, just not cis and at least some of us don't want admiration, just to be treated the same as anyone else).

Anyway, I think it speaks more to their perception of their market (which btw they seem to be losing really fast even without PR missteps). I think the VS brand is very much aimed at heteronormative women and expanded heavily into teen / tween market with the PINK label which I think is essentially aimed at the daughters of their established customers.

I think the VS clientele don't want to be shopping where trans women also shop. 15 years ago I was always refused access to their changing rooms, at least that's no longer the case, still I think that's their real motivation.

Other ways the brand hasn't kept up with times, if I go to any of their online retail competitors (herroom, bare necessities), I can easily find my cup size in larger band sizes (40B, 42B) where VS still only makes a "B" cup in 38 and smaller (it used to be nearly impossible to find even a 36B from them). It was of course worse when I was still and A cup.

Since they don't offer things that fit me I basically don't ever go there anymore.

🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •