Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Getting Facial Laser Done Every 3 Weeks?

Started by dee82, November 25, 2018, 04:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dee82

Everywhere I read that 4 to 6 weeks is the ideal frequency for Laser Hair Removal visits.

But has anyone tried every 3 weeks for the face?

Here is why I ask this.

Had first visit. Nothing too noticeable, but the hairs did feel thinner when shaving.

3 weeks later did second visit. They say the first few treatments they like to do 3 weeks apart "to make sure it is working". Wow, I notice a dramatic difference on my chin and upper lip.

3 weeks later did third visit. Still really happy and can't believe how good it looks, no dark hairs at all.

They then say, lets go to 4 weekly visits.

4 weeks later did fourth visit. About 5 days before the visit, I get a whole lot of dark hairs appearing and it doesn't look any better on my chin and upper lip after the treatment.

On each visit the laser hurts real bad (and I have a high pain threshold) so I assume they are not cutting back on the power levels.

My questions are these, do you ever feel like you are going backwards with the Laser, but it works out in the end?

Is it possible my hair growth cycle is different and every 3 weeks would be better?

I was so happy with the hair removal for the first 8 weeks, but now the return of stubble has really affected my confidence.

Any thoughts...

•  

Sabrina Rei

Yes! I started off feeling great about it but by session 6, it felt like I'd barely made any progress. I only recently restarted my program but a similar thing is happening again. They estimated 12 sessions when I began but total I think i'm At 9 and still some ways away from graduation XD

dee82

Elle, I hope you get the results you expect! Maybe I need to be more patient, but I didn't expect to feel like I have gone backwards.
  •  

Linde

I had my first laser removal done, and the second one will be 4 weeks later in mid December.  They feel that i need a total of 4 laser sessions, and after that they can clean up with electrolysis.  I do not have a heavy beard growth, and they feel that those few laser sessions will take care of most of it.
Currently I do not feel that I have any less hair growing in my face.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

dee82

Dietlind, I am not planning on electrolysis, and hoping laser will be enough, which is why I am keen for it to work. Every 4 weeks seems to be typical spacing. Maybe after my next appointment it will become clearer on how it is going.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: dee82 on November 25, 2018, 10:44:27 PM
Dietlind, I am not planning on electrolysis, and hoping laser will be enough, which is why I am keen for it to work. Every 4 weeks seems to be typical spacing. Maybe after my next appointment it will become clearer on how it is going.
Laser only works when you have no other hair color but dark.  I thought that my hair was grey, but they told me that it is mostly dark enough for laser.  Only the hair that is almost white needs to be done with electrolysis.
But again, I do not have a strong beard growth, and the feel it will be easy to eliminate it.

Because my beart growth is so light, it was never any reason for dysphoria, it is just a pain in the neck with makeup removal.  That is the reason why I want it gone.

•  

LizK

The reason they recommend 4-6 weeks is to tie in with the life cycle of the hair...if the hair is in the "dying" off phase of its cycle then you can't kill a dead hair so you need to wait until its through the dying off phase in order to kill it. That's why they say the period they do, so you get maximum kills...You can do every three weeks apart but its not very cost effective but it won't do you any harm....I have had well over 20 sessions on my face and have still not got every black hair...about 90%

The other reason they can't recommend any sooner is their own literature from the manufacturer sets the recommended time between treatments...I am sure where ever you get it done will be more than happy to do it every 3 weeks. But apart from the additional cost I can't see and issue with it...

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

dee82

Thanks Liz. That knowledge is what I was missing. Okay, so I think my first few appointments must have really hit some sort of "sweet spot" in the growth cycle because it was super effective. But now I am going to put that down to a bit of luck, and stick with the 4 weekly spacing.

~Dee.
  •  

AnonyMs

I believe there's a scam used by some laser clinic's where they turn the power down so that you need to come back more often and for longer. It also allows them to use less skilled staff as there's less danger of burning. They can charge less per session and yet make more money. I've seen it called under treatment.

I've tried a couple of places. I'd thought the first place was extremely painful, but the second was way worse. I'm pretty sure the second had the laser set quite a bit higher and its more effective. I've a bad feeling about the first one even though its a large chain. The second was recommenced by someone, and I'm staying with it even though its more expensive.

•  

GingerVicki

Quote from: elle's bells on November 25, 2018, 07:02:25 AM
Yes! I started off feeling great about it but by session 6, it felt like I'd barely made any progress. I only recently restarted my program but a similar thing is happening again. They estimated 12 sessions when I began but total I think i'm At 9 and still some ways away from graduation XD

At first things went fast then it slowed down incredibly from session 4 to 7. Now it is like nothing.

It is still worth it. If not for the hair loss - for its de-aging factor.
  •  

LizK

Quote from: dee82 on November 26, 2018, 04:15:47 AM
Thanks Liz. That knowledge is what I was missing. Okay, so I think my first few appointments must have really hit some sort of "sweet spot" in the growth cycle because it was super effective. But now I am going to put that down to a bit of luck, and stick with the 4 weekly spacing.

~Dee.
I know what you mean...it was the same for me but think about this...the most dramatic effect will be the first few times when there are lots of hair in growth phases and the majority get knocked of so their is less to get next time...which is exactly what you want...perseverance is the key and keep an eye on the type of laser being used on you and what it's actually for.

Take care

Liz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Linde

Quote from: LizK on November 26, 2018, 01:50:16 AM
...I have had well over 20 sessions on my face and have still not got every black hair...about 90%

Take care

Liz
Wow!!! If you would have grown a beart during your male hay days, you must have looked something close to Mountain Man.  I would have envied you at the time when I was trying to be a man, but now I prefer my little facial hair growth , which they feel they can mostly eliminate with 4 laser sessions and a little electrolysis!

•  

LizK

I could not grow a moustache to save myself...thin, patchy and looked pathetic. Of those 20 + Laser session at least 7 were IPL and not Laser...I got conned and spent about $350 on it...if something is just way too cheap there is a probably a good reason for that. I used to grow a moustache and pull out the hairs one by one...It would get patchy with bald spots appearing within a few weeks... there is nothing quite like your sub conscious objecting to your facial hair enough, to make you pluck it out one by one with your teeth!!

Many of the laser sessions have been matinenenace and with hair growth Cycles you need to be persistent in order for it to be effective...the other part is you do not kill every hair at each session...it does not even happen that way for Electrolysis either with only about an 80% first zap first kill ratio. I consider myself one of the fortunate ones...a friend of mine has already done 40 hours on her top lip alone and is only now just having it cleared at each session.

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

sarah1972

First - the different spacing is normal and is usually a sign of the laser tech knowing what they are doing. I started at 4 weeks and ended at 6 weeks. I have noticed that around the time of the appointment, a new set of hairs must have gotten into the growth cycle. which may be what you are seeing.

I completed Laser in early June after 6 sessions and had one more recently while finishing up the white hair with electrolysis. What I also noticed is that a few days after Laser, it looks much worse than normal. Seems to be all the dark hair coming out. I can also tell by the smell of burned hair if Laser is effective. I have my 3rd bottom laser treatment next week.

~Sarah

Quote from: dee82 on November 25, 2018, 04:28:10 AM
Everywhere I read that 4 to 6 weeks is the ideal frequency for Laser Hair Removal visits.

But has anyone tried every 3 weeks for the face?

Here is why I ask this.

Had first visit. Nothing too noticeable, but the hairs did feel thinner when shaving.

3 weeks later did second visit. They say the first few treatments they like to do 3 weeks apart "to make sure it is working". Wow, I notice a dramatic difference on my chin and upper lip.

3 weeks later did third visit. Still really happy and can't believe how good it looks, no dark hairs at all.

They then say, lets go to 4 weekly visits.

4 weeks later did fourth visit. About 5 days before the visit, I get a whole lot of dark hairs appearing and it doesn't look any better on my chin and upper lip after the treatment.

On each visit the laser hurts real bad (and I have a high pain threshold) so I assume they are not cutting back on the power levels.

My questions are these, do you ever feel like you are going backwards with the Laser, but it works out in the end?

Is it possible my hair growth cycle is different and every 3 weeks would be better?

I was so happy with the hair removal for the first 8 weeks, but now the return of stubble has really affected my confidence.

Any thoughts...

•  

dee82

Quote from: AnonyMs on November 26, 2018, 05:44:35 AM
I believe there's a scam used by some laser clinic's where they turn the power down so that you need to come back more often and for longer. It also allows them to use less skilled staff as there's less danger of burning. They can charge less per session and yet make more money. I've seen it called under treatment.

I've tried a couple of places. I'd thought the first place was extremely painful, but the second was way worse. I'm pretty sure the second had the laser set quite a bit higher and its more effective. I've a bad feeling about the first one even though its a large chain. The second was recommenced by someone, and I'm staying with it even though its more expensive.

I have heard of the scams. And I hope they are doing the power levels right. To be honest, my eyes start to tear up from the pain, so I don't think I could easily cope with more.

Quote from: sarah1972 on November 26, 2018, 02:39:10 PM
First - the different spacing is normal and is usually a sign of the laser tech knowing what they are doing. I started at 4 weeks and ended at 6 weeks. I have noticed that around the time of the appointment, a new set of hairs must have gotten into the growth cycle. which may be what you are seeing.

I completed Laser in early June after 6 sessions and had one more recently while finishing up the white hair with electrolysis. What I also noticed is that a few days after Laser, it looks much worse than normal. Seems to be all the dark hair coming out. I can also tell by the smell of burned hair if Laser is effective. I have my 3rd bottom laser treatment next week.

~Sarah

I have had the burning hair smell each time, so I guess that is good.

Quote from: LizK on November 26, 2018, 06:23:42 AM
I know what you mean...it was the same for me but think about this...the most dramatic effect will be the first few times when there are lots of hair in growth phases and the majority get knocked of so their is less to get next time...which is exactly what you want...perseverance is the key and keep an eye on the type of laser being used on you and what it's actually for.

Okay, feeling encouraged!
  •  

Linde

Today I was for a follow up on the microneedeling thing I had done last week (the most painfull thing I have had ever done to my poor body and still had to pay for it).  Anyway, when they were balding my face to scrap of the dead skin, they were amazed how much hair came out long which was just sitting there in my skin with dead roots.  It was still pretty well embedded i my skin, but was dead, and just needed to be pulled out.
I am now interested to see how my beard growth is after I give it a couple of days to grow back to a visible length.  My beard grows very slow, and it likes to take its time to get to a bothersome length. 
i know more towards the end of the week!

•  

dee82

Quote from: Dietlind on November 27, 2018, 12:03:57 AM
Today I was for a follow up on the microneedeling thing I had done last week (the most painfull thing I have had ever done to my poor body and still had to pay for it).  Anyway, when they were balding my face to scrap of the dead skin, they were amazed how much hair came out long which was just sitting there in my skin with dead roots.  It was still pretty well embedded i my skin, but was dead, and just needed to be pulled out.
I am now interested to see how my beard growth is after I give it a couple of days to grow back to a visible length.  My beard grows very slow, and it likes to take its time to get to a bothersome length. 
i know more towards the end of the week!
There is so much I need to learn about skin and hair. Had never heard of microneedeling before now. Not that I am that interested in it after your description Dietlind!

Let us know how the future growth goes, or even better, doesn't grow.

~Dee
  •  

Linde

Quote from: dee82 on November 28, 2018, 12:25:36 AM
There is so much I need to learn about skin and hair. Had never heard of microneedeling before now. Not that I am that interested in it after your description Dietlind!

Let us know how the future growth goes, or even better, doesn't grow.

~Dee
It is now Wednesday morning, and I can feel a little roughness in my facial hair growth area.  Not enough that I would feel like shaving this morning, but I think that I would want to shave tomorrow morning.  That would mean I want to shave every 4 days.
The next layer of my dead skin is starting to peel away, and again I look like after a bad sunburn.  They told me that at least another layer (after the current one) will peel off.  I think some of the minor tiny hairline like wrinkles have disappeared already, and the current layer that is peeling will take some more wrinkles with it.

I photoshopped the avatar picture to make my face wrinkle free, I hope that my face will look close to it once all the old skin is gone.  All the other facial features (nose, chin, jaw line, eyes and eye brows) are original and untouched.  I took the wrinkles away only and am wearing a wig.  My own hair is growing pretty well, and pretty soon I might not need that stupid wig anymore!
I feel that my looks are not too shabby for somebody who is well over 75 years old!

•  

Swedishgirl96

I have started with 4 weeks in-between.

In the information that I got from my nurse, at the hospital where I am doing my laser, it says that:
The hair grows in cycles and in some periods you have hair that is "asleep", these periods vary depending on which part of the body it grows on. The hair can be "asleep" in months on a leg but only a couple of weeks in the mustache area. It also depends on genetical factors. The hair growing depends on age, weight, hormones, diet, medication, metabolism and diseases. So it takes many treatments with one to three months time in-between or when the hair starts to grow back.

The treatment has been shown to have good results. The result is slowdown hair growth, thinner and lighter hair after every treatment. But they can not promise that all hair growth will be removed but the hair will at least not grow as fast and it will be very thin and light.

Exceptionally the laser treatment can cause more hair growth, usually if you have very thin hair to begin with. Put this is actually no problem because they will laser this hair again on your next appointment with will remove the hair.

Also you should not use any medication with gold as an ingredient while doing laser. I wonder what kind of medicine that is. :o

If you get blisters from the treatment you should cool them down with ice or a packaged of frozen peas and get a prescription for cortisone cream. If you get pimples from the treatment you should not touch these, they are of no danger but leave them alone.

The laser treatment can hurt and the pain is different for everyone but the first treatment is the worst. I have gotten 2 tips for pain reduction. The first is a cream that is called Emla that you apply a little time before the treatment and should be washed of before the treatment.
The second tip is 2 tablets of medicine with paracetamol, 500mg each and one hour before the treatment.

I had my first laser treatment 2 days ago now and I thought that it was extremely painful. Felt like they putted my face on fire. But the treatment was quick and the nurse was so nice and careful with me. Reminded me to breath, deep and slowly. Helped a lot. Will try the paracetamol thing the next time, if that does not work I will try the cream.
La dolce vita
  •  

Swedishgirl96

I have also heard that hormon therapy causes the facial hair to get thinner and lighter and this can cause the hair to be harder to remove by laser. But I have not checked this with my nurse. Anyways I guess it takes time for it to become thinner and lighter with hrt but anyways.
La dolce vita
  •