Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

After First T Shot Anxiety?

Started by valeamando, December 08, 2018, 12:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valeamando

Hey there. Finally signed up after lurking for years. I just did my first t-shot a few hours ago. I wasn't sure for the longest time if HRT was right for me (mostly because I'm kinda sentimentally attached to my singing voice), but decided the other changes were worth the "sacrifice." So I jumped right in.

I'm wondering if anyone who's on T ever experienced any uncertainty and/or regret moving forward with HRT, especially in the early stages. I realize I can just stop, and likely nothing will even happen, but I don't want to stop. I just want to know if my insecurities about my decision are maybe just normal at first. Does that make sense? Hopefully that makes sense.
  •  

Daniels

I don't think everyone experiences doubt right after their first shot but I bet plenty of people do.

I've been on and off T a few times over the last couple of years due to anxiety about transitioning. My doctor is understanding and let's me go on and off as I please. Most of the changes lessen quickly and I am read as female again within a couple of months. My voice has permanently changed but it does go back to being a bit higher when I stop T. It also feels easier to get a broad vocal range without the T. I have been on lowish doses and I believe that gives me more time to adjust to using my new voice than if I went in on a full dose.

So I guess what I'm saying is anxiety is normal for me but it helps knowing that if I ever don't feel right with the changes I can just stop and regain some of what I've lost.

Good luck. Deep breaths and exercise are the best things for me when I get anxious.
  •  

Ricki Wright

This is a huge change in your life. I would be more concerned if you were not questioning your decision. Taking an honest appraisal of your path is healthy. When people experience fear, that is just our brain telling us to "pay attention. This might be important."

I has been over a month since that shot you mentioned. How are things now?

Hugs!

Ricki
At 5 I forgot who I am. Fortunately, who I am protected me all these years until I remembered. Whatever else happens, I will live the rest of my life whole.
My story: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244130.0.html
HRT 07Nov18
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: valeamando on December 08, 2018, 12:11:36 AM
Hey there. Finally signed up after lurking for years. I just did my first t-shot a few hours ago. I wasn't sure for the longest time if HRT was right for me (mostly because I'm kinda sentimentally attached to my singing voice), but decided the other changes were worth the "sacrifice." So I jumped right in.

I'm wondering if anyone who's on T ever experienced any uncertainty and/or regret moving forward with HRT, especially in the early stages. I realize I can just stop, and likely nothing will even happen, but I don't want to stop. I just want to know if my insecurities about my decision are maybe just normal at first. Does that make sense? Hopefully that makes sense.
@valeamando
Dear Valeamando:
     I am very happy to see that you have come out of the "Lurker Zone" and have just become a member here and this is your very first posting.   I am also glad to see that you finally are taking the plunge and sharing your thoughts here on this thread.

As you post on the forums you will be able to exchange thoughts and comments with others that are experiencing many of the same things that you are.   I expect that you will be getting many members offering their thoughts and suggestions as you continue to post here. 

This is the right place for you to be to find out what others may have to say that may have been in your circumstances and with your questions and concerns.
    There are a lot of members here that will be able to identify with your situation and as you continue to feel free to share with all of us.

I also want to warmly WELCOME you to Susan's Place
You will find this a safe and friendly place to share with others and to read about others similar trials, tribulations, and successes.

As you are certainly aware you can share with others and involve yourself with some give and take with other like-minded members.  When frustrated or if you have successes you can share it here if you wish and receive support from others and offer support to others. ....
     ***There is a very good chance that you might find that you will make some new like-minded friends here. 

Please come in and continue to be involved at your own pace.

I have attached important and informative LINKS that will help you to navigate around the Forums and will allow you to enjoy the features here.     
Please look closely at the LINKS in RED, answers are there to many questions that new members ask.

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle

Here are some links to the site rules and stuff that all new members should be familiar with:

Things that you should read

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@valeamando
Oh, and another thing Valeamando...
Please plan to find your way to the Introductions Forum so that more members will be aware of your arrival.

Thank you again for joining Susan's Place and being involved in the Forums here.
Best wishes to you,
Danielle

NOTE:  Now that all of this greeting stuff is done with, I gladly will let everyone have their thread back so that all can continue to pursue the answers and conversations that are being sought.
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

maksim

I'm almost 2 years on T and I still get that anxiety sometimes, questioning whether or not I want to continue going forward with it. It's pretty normal, I'd say. The excitement followed by the anxiety.

What helps me combat it is remembering how happy all of the new changes make me each time something new happens, or I start gradually seeing development in certain areas, and how happy I am when I pass. However, that's not always possible with the first T shot.
If the anxiety goes away after a while and you enjoy looking ahead and seeing yourself passing and looking and sounding like a cis male, then the anxiety is probably just that: anxiety. But if it's constantly persisting then I suggest talking to someone about it and really thinking about whether this is something you need to do or not, because HRT is a huge thing, particularly testosterone as it's such a strong hormone. But as Ricki said, our brains do give us anxiety to tell us to pay attention. It feels like a trick, but it's just trying to protect us.

•  

Darlene

Quote from: valeamando on December 08, 2018, 12:11:36 AM

I think many do.... It really helps to have support. I have anxiety on occasion. I will talk to my therapist & my mother. My mother by & far is my biggest supporter. She know the old me. She's seen the positive changes HRT has brought about. Hang in there.... it will pass
  •