Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Grieving -- for an old car

Started by Asche, December 11, 2018, 05:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asche

Today I saw my old Dodge Caravan go off on a flatbed tow truck, in all likelihood to be scrapped.  It's 25 years old, hast 184,000 miles on it, and it won't start, even with a jump from a tow truck.  Nobody wanted it, and I didn't need a second car and it was just taking up space.  Off to the glue factory ....

But I'm crying over it.  It's like I just had an old dog put to sleep that had been with me for 25 years; okay, he was old and sick and could barely walk, but still....  It was the car we bought when we had our second child and didn't have room enough in the old one for the safety contraptions for an infant and a toddler.  It was the car we took on all our long trips.  It was the car I took when we got divorced.  It always started right up, and only failed when the computer was dying (the mechanics all swore the computer was fine, but when I finally replaced it against medical advice, it stopped quitting on me.)  It was our old faithful horse.  And now it's gone.  I feel like I failed him.

I feel a little weird about it; I didn't cry this much when my parents died, 10 and 15 years ago.  (Although I kind of feel like I did my grieving for them long before they actually died.)  And I'm shedding real tears, like I haven't in years, maybe decades.
"...  I think I'm great just the way I am, and so are you." -- Jazz Jennings

CPTSD
  •  

Mx London

Losing something you care about is always hard. Regardless of what it is, humans get attached, it's our nature.

It's OK to cry. It may hurt right now, but you clearly have fond memories that you'll keep with you forever, long after the hurt goes.
  •  

Jin

I feel your pain. I have an '84 Jeep that puked out her pinion gear. And then sat in the garage disassembled for 10 years because I could not bear to have her funeral!
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.
-- Popeye

A wise person can learn more from fools than a fool can learn from a wise person.
  •  

big kim

I know what it's like. I cried when a drunk driver shunted my Ford Falcon woody into a lamp post. Woodys death meant a Mercury Comet lived again when the engine was used to replace the Comet's cracked cylinderblock
  •  

natalie.ashlyne

I know how you feel that way I still have my Intrepid and have not got rid of it yet I cry just thinking about what to do with it so it sits in my driveway till I can make up my mind I don't want it crushed or go to the wreckers 
  •