Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

How do you find clothes that fit you?

Started by 930310, December 13, 2018, 01:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello,
I'm still in male-mode and have never dressed in "female clothing". I am fairly tall and thin and have no idea how to find clothes that fit me without actually having to go somewhere and try things on (which I can't do due to social anxiety).
I have measured myself for my sizes but I really do get confused when looking up clothes online since there are so many different ways to give a size.
Furthermore, I have no idea how to coordinate clothing or what to wear to look more feminine since there are a few differences between male and female anatomy in general (such as shoulder with etc).

If this is posted in the wrong section, please do move it to the correct place.

My sizes are:
Length: 185,5cm (6'1")
Bust: 92cm (36")
Underbust: 80cm (31,5")
Waist: 73cm (28,7")
Hip: 96cm (37,8")
HRT on and off since January 20, 2014
Diagnosed with GD: March 2018

https://www.youtube.com/user/930310
  •  

Traci091176

Long Tall Sally is a good place to start.
  •  

gracefulhat

Quote from: 930310 on December 13, 2018, 01:09:46 PM

My sizes are:
Length: 185,5cm (6'1")
Bust: 92cm (36")
Underbust: 80cm (31,5")
Waist: 73cm (28,7")
Hip: 96cm (37,8")

We are both similar in our measurements. In women's dresses and pants you probably wear a size 6 or 8. For bra just buy 36A...or B if your using fillers. For tops I buy med and large. For shoes just go 1.5 size bigger than men's, maybe just 1. I wear 10 in men's and can wear a snug 11 in women's. Hope this helps.
Above all, love
  •  

KathyLauren

The size numbers on women's clothes are so random that there really is no substitute for trying them on.  So, when ordering online, be sure to check the vendor's return policy.

I was a solid "medium" in men's clothes, 34x30 in jeans.  Now, I am usually a 10 in women's clothes, but I'll try an 8 in bottoms if it looks big, and a 12 in tops if it looks small.  For S-M-L sizing, I am a medium in bottoms and a large in tops.

You are taller and slimmer than me, so obviously your numbers will be different, but hopefully this gives you a reference point.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

randim

Give your height, you will probably need to shop online to find long sleeves and pants legs that fit you, although women not infrequently wear shortish pants to show off their shoes. If you google tall women's clothing you will find links to retailers that stock tall sizes or articles discussing where to find tall sizes. I seem to have had better luck than some ordering using the size charts. I must say I am envious of your waistline. You have quite a nice figure. I think you will have pretty good luck finding clothes that fit if they're long enough.
  •  

sarahc

If ordering online, make sure to look at the size chart. Different apparel makers have different size charts.
The three most important measurements in women's clothing are:

* Bust for tops and dresses
* Hip and Waist for bottoms - If you get different sizes for waist vs hip, choose the SMALLER size.
* Inseam for pants - note: women's pants generally fit closer in the crotch so add 1 inch vs. men's inseam

No guarantee that this will work all the time, but it will lead to the best change of success. You then either go to stores or start ordering stuff online and seeing what fits and return what doesn't fit

Given your height, you will likely need to focus your shopping on stores that have meaningful tall selections. Depending on your body type, you may need tall bottoms, tall tops, or tall everything. In the US, Long Tall Sally, Lands End, Asos, and some Gap properties (especially Athleta) have decent tall selections.
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •  

Maid Marion

I started by buying clothes on ebay from sellers who actually measured the clothes they were selling.  This is one way to get actual measurements.  Another way to get a handle on what fits is to buy cheap clothes from a thrift store.  Typically there is some sort of refund policy, particularly if you save receipts and don't cut off the pricing tags.

I bring a tape measure when I go shopping.  It doesn't lie.
  •  

NatalieRene

When ordering online look for the items size chart that will convert measurements to sizes. You have to check each item especially with retailers carrying multiple brands.
  •  

LizK

Consistent sizing is rare thing in womens clothes...take your measurements and from that you may be able to work it out. Second hand clothing stores are good to been able to buy a number of items cheaply and play with sizes..once you know your basic size you can then by new on line hopefully things will fit

Take care

Liz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Gertrude

EShakti and sumissura.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: Gertrude on December 13, 2018, 08:36:49 PM
EShakti and sumissura.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
These links are solid gold! Straight bookmarked!
  •  

Thank you everyone. I'll look into this further.

•  

Quote from: gracefulhat on December 13, 2018, 02:09:35 PM
We are both similar in our measurements. In women's dresses and pants you probably wear a size 6 or 8. For bra just buy 36A...or B if your using fillers. For tops I buy med and large. For shoes just go 1.5 size bigger than men's, maybe just 1. I wear 10 in men's and can wear a snug 11 in women's. Hope this helps.
I have smaller feet (I'm about an 8,5-9) than you do but thanks for the help.

•  

Lyric

Well, I've been into this stuff for a very long time and I can give you some valuable advice, for sure.

"I have no idea how to coordinate clothing"
...This is not a strictly transgender problem. Every girl/woman goes through learning this stuff (many never do). If you can access this website you have a world of fashion information at your fingertips. Google "fashion blog". Bookmark them and spend a few minutes a week reading what people are wearing. As unimaginative as it sounds, nobody every went wrong by emulating a celebrity's look-- and with very little effort you can do it for little money if you forget about designer labels.

"...or what to wear to look more feminine"
The best thing would be to bring some friends into the project. There's nothing better than an outside opinion. It's very hard to do these things alone. Take selfies of yourself full length and compare the images to those of women you admire, considering what improvements need to be made.

"...social anxiety"
This is something that will cripple your entire life, not just the TG stuff. As soon as possible start seeing a good therapist about this. This is something else everyone must deal with to some extent and is entirely fixable.

"I have measured myself for my sizes but I really do get confused when looking up clothes online since there are so many different ways to give a size."
Again, welcome to the club. There are no firm standards for sizes in womens clothing (most men's either, really). Sizes can even vary within a brand. If you must buy online, I suggest buying from one of the reputable dealers that offer free returns. I surveyed this recently and these online clothe dealers are all meet those specs: Asos, Macy's, Zappos, Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic. I buy from Macy's online all the time and they have a lot of good specials.

Here's something anybody who wears clothes should do: find a tailer to do alterations. It's not as expensive as you might think and there's nothing like getting clothes custom fitted.

"I am fairly tall and thin"
You're an inch shorter than my favorite current fashion model, Karlie Kloss. Karlie was awkward and pestered in high school because of her height and now she's adored by millions. Do a Google image search of Karlie Kloss + "fashion". You could probably wear any look she can.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Oh you....
To address what you said, I haven't got any friends, not a single one. The people that I'm the closest to are my father and my younger brothers. We see each other a couple of times a month at best. The rest of the time I am pretty much by myself.
I have been seeing therapists since I was 11, which is when I was diagnosed with autism (albeit a high functioning one). I have made much progress but after my parents divorced and I became homeless for a few months I retreated inwards and am still not over things.
I'll look up what you said about fashion but the other things about my social life are things that I've dealt with since before I hit puberty and my issues with my gender identity started.

•  

Maid Marion

I have an idea that may help with social anxiety.

Take advantage of opportunities to engage in small talk and casual conversation.

The reasoning is that you need to start slow and work your way up in the art of socializing.

Take a few minutes to talk to a bored cashier in an empty store if the opportunity presents itself.
  •  

Lyric

Quote from: 930310 on December 18, 2018, 08:05:20 AM
To address what you said, I haven't got any friends, not a single one.

Hey, don't discount what you've got here. We may not be live and in person, but we've got potential if you give us a chance. I just clicked you for my "buddy", so that's a start.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Just wanted to say that I bought a black skirt and a black blouse online just to try things out. They were both EU size 40, so I guess that's an US size 8. I could probably have worn a size 6 as well since they were both a little large on me.

•  

DawnOday

Don't have a clue about style?   Try these. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=style+2019+femme
                                                              https://www.venus.com  At 6' 3" I find the length is generally about two inches short in the arms and length to the waist.
Long Tall Sally has clothes for tall women as does JC Penny, ASOS. Old Navy, New York and Company.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Lyric

Quote from: 930310 on December 20, 2018, 12:16:54 PM

Looks good to me. This is pretty much what we all do with this stuff. You do a little trial and error clothes buying and start to figure out what works for you. I'm not sure all of those online retailers DawnOday mentioned are easily available in Sweden, but I'm sure there are many good ones that are.
  •