Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Need Fashion Advice: Mixing Patterned Prints?

Started by dee82, December 19, 2018, 06:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dee82

I have a couple of pair of pants that have a patterned print on them.

I have many tops with a patterned print.

My partner says, mixing two different prints is not a good idea. She insists I need more plain tops to go with the pants.

I have done google searching that certainly suggests that a plain blouse/shirt goes best with patterned pants (or skirt).

But I am wondering, what do you think?

Do you ever mix up patterns?

~Dee.
  •  

Maid Marion

Most of us don't look anything like runway models, so practical fashion is all about looking good with what we have.  Or, for many TGs, what we don't have, like hips and butts.   

GGs typically deal with height, weight, body shape, and skin tone.  Sometimes someone's favorite color will make them look sickly.

Mixing patterned prints is likely to look to busy or confused, but some clever people have the gift that allows them to break just about any "rule."
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I do not mix different patterned prints in the same outfit.  Some women may be able to make a favorable fashion statement mixing them but I am not gifted in that way!

For tops with a layered look, only one layer is a print, the other layer is solid.
An example would be a flower print blouse with a solid cardigan sweater.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

KathyLauren

I wouldn't mix different patterns.  If the top is patterned, the bottom should be plain, and vice versa.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

dee82

Don't mix = 3
Mix = 0

Okay, thanks for the advice, I needed to get that info from someone other than my partner, to be sure.

Maybe I am one of those who can make a favorable fashion statement and be daring, but I would rather not risk it.

Darn, now I need to do some more shopping! (Actually, I find it fun so it's not a chore, but finding time is tricky.)

~Dee.
  •  

Janes Groove

Mixing patterns and prints is definitely an art form.  It is possible to succeed with it and the results can be stunning. 

I would say for a beginner to get the colors right first.  Improper color matching will be the first thing to sink you.  Then go with one muted pattern mixed with a more dynamic pattern.  There are infinite possibilities. Don't be afraid to experiment.
This is one of the fun parts of being a girl.
  •