Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Winter...have you tried snowshoeing?

Started by Liina, December 20, 2018, 09:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liina

Okay, I live in an area where we get lots of winter, by that I mean loads of snow to go out and enjoy the outdoors.
I have used snowshoes since I was a kid, but not like everyday but maybe once or twice a week. They are fun to use to get around when snow is too deep for walking and too loose that you sink up to your waist with out them.
Have you used snow shoes for fun? Where do you go for great vistas?

Liina
  •  

Nina

I love snowshoeing...owning a traditional pair ie. Wood...and also a pair of fiberglass. I snowshoe both for recreation and hunting.
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

KathyLauren

I used to love going out on cross-country skis in winter.  When I lived in Alberta, the snow was perfect for skiing, and the mountains were just an hour's drive away, with kilometres of beautiful ski trails.

Unfortunately, it has been 14 years since I lived where there was good skiable snow.  The stuff here is too wet to ski on, so now I have snow shoes.  Not quite the same thing, but still fun.  We have some trails in the back part of our property that are good if there is enough snow. 

Mostly, I use my snowshoes to get out to the barn where the snowblower is parked, when we have a heavy snowfall.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Liina

@Nina, I started out when I was just in wee years on wooden snow shoes, we used to have a selection of the tall and narrow ones and round bears paws, now I have metal edged with a neoprene material on saddles. The new ones are good for holding an edge on a slope but not nearly as big the old wooden ones.
@KathyLauren, yes agreed, the mountains have great places to tread around on skis and snow shoes. Keeps the interest up for sure when there is a pay back for hard work to get to a vista..
Good way to keep fit in deep snow and lots of fun!

Liina
  •  

Nina

KathyLauren...I have the bear paw style too. While the aluminum ones are a bit lighter, I'm old school...preferring the wooden ones.
Snow here in Northern Ontario is already knee high. Last year we had nearly 4 feet of snow remaining in May.
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Karen

I love snowshoeing.   Nothing more beautiful than snowshoeing on a sunny and cold winter day with the trees full of snow.   I hope to snowshoe a few times between the 28th to Jan 3rd.   

Happy Winter

Karen
Karen

* felt different like I did not fit, with strong feminine feelings and gender questions my entire life
* Sept 2016 - January 2017 real began to seriously question and research gender
* August 2017 friend explains transgender and gender vs sexual orientation, and immediately felt shock and begin to believe I maybe transgender
* March 2018 after 3 therapists, accepts I am transgender and am transitioning
* July 18, 2018 began HRT
* Feb 4, 2019 began Estrogen
  •  

Maid Marion

I have a pair of aluminum snowshoes to check out the yard/outside of the house during the rare years the snow accumulates.
  •