Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Wanting a new normal

Started by Anne T, December 23, 2018, 07:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anne T

My husband of 20 plus years is transitioning to female with the help of HRT. He told me a week ago that he has been on them for 4 months. I was devastated and cried for 4 days.  Then I got angry that I now have this big secret to keep that I didn't ask for. I forgave him for not telling me because he was protecting himself and I could see the pain that he held inside. He knew he was transsexual before he married me and didn't tell me because he thought he could suppress it out of his love for me. I was a bit angry about that too. Then I calmed down and we have since then spent hours talking.  We have set parameters within his needs and what I'm comfortable with.  So far it's been acceptable to both of us.

I have to say his depression is gone. All of his anger seems to be gone. I think he was holding resentment for having to hold onto his secret. And that has been removed.  There's a softer side of him which is nicer.

We have always had good trust, communication and love. Neither of us want to walk away from our marriage. As strange as this sounds I can see both him and her. For now we have smoothed out the waves but I'm sure there are ripples coming our way. What can I do for a smooth transition to get us to the point of a new normal for our marriage? Tips, advice ....whatever you have to offer. 
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
                                                       ~John Lennon
  •  

KathyLauren

Hi, Anne!

Welcome to Susan's Place.

Wow, you have covered a lot of ground in a week!  You are talking, and that is the best thing to do: keep talking.  Transition is a difficult journey for both parties in a relationship.  As long as you both look for the good in each other, you will find it.

Please feel free to stop by the Introductions forum to tell the members about yourself.  Here is some information that we like to share with new members:

Things that you should read

2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Anne T on December 23, 2018, 07:58:09 PM
My husband of 20 plus years is transitioning to female with the help of HRT. He told me a week ago that he has been on them for 4 months. I was devastated and cried for 4 days.  Then I got angry that I now have this big secret to keep that I didn't ask for. I forgave him for not telling me because he was protecting himself and I could see the pain that he held inside. He knew he was transsexual before he married me and didn't tell me because he thought he could suppress it out of his love for me. I was a bit angry about that too. Then I calmed down and we have since then spent hours talking.  We have set parameters within his needs and what I'm comfortable with.  So far it's been acceptable to both of us.

I have to say his depression is gone. All of his anger seems to be gone. I think he was holding resentment for having to hold onto his secret. And that has been removed.  There's a softer side of him which is nicer.

We have always had good trust, communication and love. Neither of us want to walk away from our marriage. As strange as this sounds I can see both him and her. For now we have smoothed out the waves but I'm sure there are ripples coming our way. What can I do for a smooth transition to get us to the point of a new normal for our marriage? Tips, advice ....whatever you have to offer.
Hi, I cannot tell you what to do, but I can tell you what not to do!
My marriage blew up (after 36 years), because of my radical anger and destructive behavior.  I did not know at that time what was the reason for this, I just got deeper and deeper into my anger.  I was constantly looking for reasons to blow up and say mean degrading things to my wife and son.  She begged me to seek professional help, but I refused.  Eventually, she could not handle it anymore, and left me, and we got a divorce.  she was the love of my life, and I killed the great life we had together.
I am still very sad about this, and never touched another woman again, because I still love her!
The result of all of this is,we are now two lonely persons, but slowly we are building a friendship up again, and I have a very good relation with our son again.
And this is because I am transitioning, and all the anger and the rage is gone, I do not know anymore what anger is, because I can live my life now the way I was supposed to be living it always.

My advise to you is, do not allow hat any anger developes in your relation, because your husband cannot be what he was meant to be!  he cannot change it, he can only suppress it,and this will either cause anger, or a very deep depression.  You would not want to live with a person like this, I assume.
He cannot fight it, the same as you cannot fight to be a woman.  You were lucky, you were born in the right body, with all the parts that belong to it.  he was born in the wrong body, equipped with the wrong parts.  He was told he was a boy/man, and he tried to live like one, but eventually he is failing, no matter how hard he tries to be a man, he can't be one.  If you love him, help him to be allowed to be himself, and you will develop a new kind of relation , which will be as good, or much better than the one you have now.  Remember, his body might change, but his personality will not.
He/she is still the same person you fell in love with, she just looks a little different later!

I wish you good luck for this journey, and I hope that your marriage will survive, and not end up like mine.  Because this just leaves misery behind for the two of you!
Hugs and happy holidays!
Linde
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Jessica_Rose

Anne, welcome to Susan's Place. Your relationship is off to a much better start than mine was. My wife and I have been married over 34 years, and we have two daughters. I came out to her on 12 Feb 2017 and went full-time on 16 Feb 2018. She was mad as hell for a long time. I began seeing a therapist in Nov 2017, and my wife started joining me in sessions in December. We slept in separate bedrooms quite often, and didn't even bring the subject up for months at a time. Around mid-August of this year (2018) she began to realize what a difference transitioning had made in my life. My anger and rage are gone, I have much more patience, and I still love her. In the beginning I told her it would be a rather drastic trade-off, and now she admits that she would much rather be with me than with the person I used to be. There is way too much to cover in just a few paragraphs, so please use the link in my signature and read my journal thread. My wife eventually joined Susan's Place as 'Susan_Rose', and my thread includes a link to her introduction story.

The best things you can do are to show her support, always use her preferred name and pronouns, hugs and compliments help more than you know, and keep talking. Some subjects are hard to discuss, but they must be discussed. Don't hide your feelings, but try to be tactful -- this goes for both of you.

I will send you a PM with my personal email address if you would like to ask me or my wife any questions. It is not an easy road, but if you love stays strong your relationship may well become better than it ever was in the past.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Dena

Welcome to Susan's Place. Unfortunately there isn't a formula that works every time that will keep a relationship together but there are two rules that will give the best chance at it.

1. Communicate everything. All issues must be discussed if they are to be overcome. If you need couples consoling for this then do so but as long as an issue remains unresolved, it could break up your relationship.
2. Voice your needs. The transition isn't just about one party of the relationship needs. It's about what both parties must have to have a successful relationship. If you sacrifice your needs, you will never be happy and it will damage your relationship.

You already have a good start in that both of you want to remain together. Now like when you first met, you need to learn how your new relationship will work.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Anne T

QuoteI will send you a PM with my personal email address if you would like to ask me or my wife any questions. It is not an easy road, but if you love stays strong your relationship may well become better than it ever was in the past.

Jessica_Rose,

I have sent you an email. Keep an eye open for it.

Anne T
                                                       ~John Lennon
  •  

Anne T

[/quote
If you love him, help him to be allowed to be himself, and you will develop a new kind of relation , which will be as good, or much better than the one you have now.  Remember, his body might change, but his personality will not.

Linde,
I'm trying to do that as I would not want to be told how to dress or what to wear. We went out shopping and got her a few things. It was a bit stressful as I hate bra shopping for myself much less for someone else. But she had a great time! I could see the happiness at being free enough to shop together for her needs. She ordered a wig which will be coming next week. I'm a bit concerned how I will react. As I said in my original post there may be ripples coming
                                                       ~John Lennon
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Anne T on December 24, 2018, 12:27:42 PM
[/quote
If you love him, help him to be allowed to be himself, and you will develop a new kind of relation , which will be as good, or much better than the one you have now.  Remember, his body might change, but his personality will not.

Linde,
I'm trying to do that as I would not want to be told how to dress or what to wear. We went out shopping and got her a few things. It was a bit stressful as I hate bra shopping for myself much less for someone else. But she had a great time! I could see the happiness at being free enough to shop together for her needs. She ordered a wig which will be coming next week. I'm a bit concerned how I will react. As I said in my original post there may be ripples coming
Aren't ripples common in any marriage?  After all, two strangers with different upbringing try to live together, ripples are programmed in already!  But now you have a happy partner at your side, no matter who the pronomens are or the exterior, she stays the same inside, the very same character of the person you married!  Now just in a body who makes her way happier, and I bet that this new found happiness will swap over to you, too!

And think about the other positives, if she developes a bra size similar to yours, she can do all future bra shopping for the both of you!  >:-)

•  

Anne T

QuoteAnd think about the other positives, if she developes a bra size similar to yours, she can do all future bra shopping for the both of you!
>:-)
[/quote

Linde! You got me to smile! I actually told her she had to do all the future bra shopping. And she agreed to it. Funny how things are changing...she has these gorgeous nails! In my whole life I've never been able to grow nails like that!

And you are correct..every marriage has ripples, waves and the occasional tsunami!
                                                       ~John Lennon
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Anne T on December 24, 2018, 04:24:15 PM
  >:-)
[/quote

Linde! You got me to smile! I actually told her she had to do all the future bra shopping. And she agreed to it. Funny how things are changing...she has these gorgeous nails! In my whole life I've never been able to grow nails like that!

And you are correct..every marriage has ripples, waves and the occasional tsunami!
I start to detect happiness and understanding in your writings!  I wish you two so much everything and anything good, one can wish other human beings.  I hope that the storms will calm down to a pleasant and nice brise, and you will sail on top of your happiness along this difficult pass into a wonderful marital heaven like condition!

Have a wonderful holiday season!
And lots of hugs!
Linde

•  

HappyMoni

Hi Ann, my name is Moni. Welcome! I have transitioned fully and have stayed with my wife. There was a very good post about not blowing up a marriage that I will point you to https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,220120.msg1949098.html#msg1949098 . It has good advice and may be of use to you and your partner. Fear is a powerful motivater for a trans person to keep the secret from a partner. It is unfortunate and can understandably be the source of a lot of anger for an SO. Hopefully the secret keeping is over once the news is shared. Trust and communication are key to staying together. I transitioned with two young adult sons still in the house. Out of respect for them, I did something they greatly appreciated and contributed to their acceptance of me. I visually transitioned gradually. I allowed them to see a gradual visual change rather than an all at once visual shock. The deep in the closet trans person when the damn bursts might be tempted to do everything that was denied them earlier, all at once. Respect for loved ones should temper this urge in my opinion. Good luck to you both.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Moonflower

Quote from: Anne T on December 23, 2018, 07:58:09 PM
My husband of 20 plus years is transitioning to female with the help of HRT.
Me too! We've been married 20 years, and we'll be going to see a dr. next week for HRT.
He told me a week ago that he has been on them for 4 months. I was devastated and cried for 4 days.  Then I got angry that I now have this big secret to keep that I didn't ask for.
Oh! Anne! I'm so sorry! What a shock for you! So much confusion and emotion to deal with!
I forgave him
You are amazing! How rational!
for not telling me because he was protecting himself and I could see the pain that he held inside. He knew he was transsexual before he married me and didn't tell me because he thought he could suppress it out of his love for me. I was a bit angry about that too. Then I calmed down
You have amazing resilience! Your spouse is so fortunate to be with someone so open-minded, sensible, and loving.
and we have since then spent hours talking.
Talking is so essential! You must work together to manage the coming-out process, if you're going to stay together. You must talk to understand how your husband and you are impacted by his male-to-female experience, and to consider ways to respond. You must both contribute your perspectives to the challenges of coming out.
We have set parameters within his needs and what I'm comfortable with.  So far it's been acceptable to both of us.

We have always had good trust, communication and love. Neither of us want to walk away from our marriage. As strange as this sounds I can see both him and her. For now we have smoothed out the waves
You are a magnificent couple. As far as I can see, you excelled at the hardest stage: the confession. Keep talking and loving through the upcoming steps. Keep focusing on how much you like her.

My spouse gets a lot of encouragement from me. I see now that her woman side showed up when I fell in love. I realize now that her man side was responsible for her fear, frustration,  loneliness, distance, and depression. When she presents as a woman, her whole body changes into a happier, healthier, more lively person. It's great to see her comfortable in her own skin.
but I'm sure there are ripples coming our way. What can I do for a smooth transition to get us to the point of a new normal for our marriage? Tips, advice ....whatever you have to offer.
A smooth transition to your new normal will likely depend on the two of you working together to create your new normal, considering your individual preferences. I can't imagine how you would do that without a lot more talking. You clearly have the mutual love and respect that are required.

<fixed formatting errors>
:icon_wave:
1999 we met and married :icon_archery:
Fall 2018 The woman hiding behind my husband's facade is coming out full time! :icon_female:
She began MTF HRT but had adverse reactions, so gave up on transitioning medically.
Summer 2022 I went through gender confirmation surgery as a result of cancer.
2024 her cardiologist and a therapist wrote letters approving of resuming HRT, she's legally changing her name, and now she's getting on the calendar for surgery!

Welcome, to Significant Others
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247396.0.html

Our transitioning blog, "Opening The Cage"
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,241591.0.html
  •  

Moonflower

Quote from: Anne T on December 24, 2018, 12:27:42 PM
[/quote
I would not want to be told how to dress or what to wear. We went out shopping and got her a few things. It was a bit stressful as I hate bra shopping for myself much less for someone else. But she had a great time! I could see the happiness at being free enough to shop together for her needs. She ordered a wig which will be coming next week. I'm a bit concerned how I will react. As I said in my original post there may be ripples coming

I love such stories of such outings. I hope that you are enjoying these first outings as much as I. Her freely-expressed happiness is such a charge of energy! These first outings can be significant memories to cherish. Keep focusing on how her transition is affecting her personality and feelings and behavior. Keep talking about what you're seeing, either with your spouse or here.

To make shopping easier on me, we have gotten used to me buying each item that she wants, in several sizes. I usually try each item on myself to find the right size for me, but I can only roughly guess what size she will want. Then we return a heap of stuff.

Please share your wig experience with us. We're looking at wigs online, and are afraid of getting something awful. How did she choose her wig?
Fall 2018 The woman hiding behind my husband's facade is coming out full time! :icon_female:
She began MTF HRT but had adverse reactions, so gave up on transitioning medically.
2024 her cardiologist and a therapist wrote letters approving of resuming HRT, she's legally changing her name, and now she's getting on the calendar for surgery!

•  

Moonflower

Quote from: Anne T on December 24, 2018, 04:24:15 PM

I hope that you keep having fun with this stage of transitioning as you both explore what is changing, and what is staying the same.

•  

Anne T

QuotePlease share your wig experience with us. We're looking at wigs online, and are afraid of getting something awful. How did she choose her wig?

Sorry I missed your question.  I'm still learning on how to navigate this website. She chose her wig basically by looking for a similar style from her early full female present days. After searching a few websites we found Pauka Young...the price and style fit her.
                                                       ~John Lennon
  •