Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Are you someone's token trans friend?

Started by Beverly Anne, January 02, 2019, 11:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beverly Anne

Being with friends and associates who only know me as the girl Beverly versus being with old friends who knew me before transition is much more relaxed and enjoyable. Maybe that's me, and not them, but that's my perception. It's not that I mind telling new friends I'm trans. It's that I don't advertise it or make a big deal out of it. If I get really close to a new friend, I tell them when it makes sense to have that conversation. Before you ask, my boyfriend knows I'm trans, and he's not a >-bleeped-<.

Back to the subject at hand, the very worst is having a friend out you to a new friend and realizing you were their token trans friend to make them feel cool. This happened to me at dinner in a restaurant with a group of girlfriends. It was a real WTF! moment. This former friend is sitting next to me and just starts talking about how she explained to her boyfriend that I was once a man and how cool our little group was for accepting me, and blah, blah; the room started spinning at that point, and I don't know what else she said. All I could do was sit there in shock looking at my newer friends' jaws dropping and looking at me like I was from Mars. I panicked and cut her off and started babbling incoherently about never being a "man" and how I was a woman and shut the <not allowed> up.

Took me a while to get over that. My other friends jumped all over her as I left with a newer friend, who only knew me as a woman, and that was quite the ride to her house to drop her off. As a result, that newer friend and I no longer do things together even though she was classy about it. I realized I was that other girl's trans token, and that was a big kick in the head. The point is, it's nobody's place to out you and to respect that this needs to come from you. It's your life, not theirs. If someone starts bragging about having a trans friend and uses you as an example, there's your red flag that you're a token. Anyone else experienced anything like this?
Be authentic and live life unafraid!
  •  

Jenny1969

Just one question. 

Where is the body buried?

Like seriously WTF is wrong with people.
Jenny :)

20 November 2018 Got off the fence. 3 December 2018 Initial consult and GD diagnoasis. 28 December 2018 started HRT. 14 Feb 2019 Started Spiro

•  

Devlyn

"token trans friend"

I prefer to think of myself as the poster child for my company's diversity program.  ;D
  •  

Beverly Anne

Quote from: Jenny1969 on January 02, 2019, 11:04:15 AM
Just one question. 

Where is the body buried?

Like seriously WTF is wrong with people.

IKR! Strangulation crossed my mind, but there were too many witnesses.  ;D
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Beverly Anne on January 02, 2019, 11:01:23 AM
Being with friends and associates who only know me as the girl Beverly versus being with old friends who knew me before transition is much more relaxed and enjoyable. Maybe that's me, and not them, but that's my perception. It's not that I mind telling new friends I'm trans. It's that I don't advertise it or make a big deal out of it. If I get really close to a new friend, I tell them when it makes sense to have that conversation. Before you ask, my boyfriend knows I'm trans, and he's not a >-bleeped-<.

Back to the subject at hand, the very worst is having a friend out you to a new friend and realizing you were their token trans friend to make them feel cool. This happened to me at dinner in a restaurant with a group of girlfriends. It was a real WTF! moment. This former friend is sitting next to me and just starts talking about how she explained to her boyfriend that I was once a man and how cool our little group was for accepting me, and blah, blah; the room started spinning at that point, and I don't know what else she said. All I could do was sit there in shock looking at my newer friends' jaws dropping and looking at me like I was from Mars. I panicked and cut her off and started babbling incoherently about never being a "man" and how I was a woman and shut the <not allowed> up.

Took me a while to get over that. My other friends jumped all over her as I left with a newer friend, who only knew me as a woman, and that was quite the ride to her house to drop her off. As a result, that newer friend and I no longer do things together even though she was classy about it. I realized I was that other girl's trans token, and that was a big kick in the head. The point is, it's nobody's place to out you and to respect that this needs to come from you. It's your life, not theirs. Anyone else experienced anything like this?

That was not nice what she did.  No, nothing like that has happened.
I would not consider someone like that to be a token friend or any kind of friend.

I guess the only caution I have is to kindly ask someone who you told about your mtf status to not share that knowledge with anyone, to let you share that information if and when you personally think it is something that you want to do with a specific person. 

Ask that person to also use your preferred name and pronouns in public, if you think that is necessary to request.  You want to be introduced just like any other woman would be introduced to people. 

Some people may think that it is an amazing accomplishment that you are mtf and are out in the public and they may think that recognizing you in public as accomplishing this might somehow elevate you in the eyes of others.  That is not sound thinking.

Chrissy

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: Devlyn on January 02, 2019, 11:14:16 AM
"token trans friend"

I prefer to think of myself as the poster child for my company's diversity program.  ;D
On a self review we had to do at work after I had come out there was a question about encouraging diversity or what not and I put something like "I did my part".

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: TonyaW on January 02, 2019, 11:22:57 AM
On a self review we had to do at work after I had come out there was a question about encouraging diversity or what not and I put something like "I did my part".

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Tonya,

That is a good response!

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Beverly Anne

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on January 02, 2019, 11:17:31 AM

Some people may think that it is an amazing accomplishment that you are mtf and are out in the public and they may think that recognizing you in public as accomplishing this might somehow elevate you in the eyes of others.  That is not sound thinking.

Chrissy

Great point. But in this case, she was announcing it as HER accomplishment. Even so, you're exactly right, all my other friends are smart enough to know you don't just start talking about someone being trans. That's a very personal thing akin to starting a conversation about a friends genitalia. You would NEVER do that!
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Beverly Anne on January 02, 2019, 11:01:23 AM
Back to the subject at hand, the very worst is having a friend out you to a new friend and realizing you were their token trans friend to make them feel cool. This happened to me at dinner in a restaurant with a group of girlfriends. It was a real WTF! moment. This former friend is sitting next to me and just starts talking about how she explained to her boyfriend that I was once a man and how cool our little group was for accepting me, and blah, blah; the room started spinning at that point, and I don't know what else she said. All I could do was sit there in shock looking at my newer friends' jaws dropping and looking at me like I was from Mars. I panicked and cut her off and started babbling incoherently about never being a "man" and how I was a woman and shut the f*ck up.
Oh, does this ever sound familiar!

I had an acquaintance who invited me to lunch.  When I arrived there was another woman present, and I was introduced as "My transgender friend, Michelle."

Lovely.

Disclosure without my permission, and dropped into the category of transgender friend... how very special!  I walked out, and later sent an e-mail to detail why this was incredibly inappropriate, tone-deaf behavior.

When I do my Trans 101 presentations, I introduce myself as an older woman who got this way by being a transgender person. I then immediately say that saying this is called 'disclosure' and is a mark of my trust in others to hold this personal information private.

Disclosing my nature as a way to brag of how others are accepting is simply wrong.  It tends to immediately alter how others think of me. 

I know that, particularly for older persons, once they know that I am transgender, I am no longer seen as a woman, but as an unusual 'dude in a dress', and am even referred to with male pronouns, usually when I am not present, although they do slip up frequently.

Not cool!
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Beverly Anne

Quote from: Michelle_P on January 02, 2019, 01:33:44 PM
Oh, does this ever sound familiar!

I had an acquaintance who invited me to lunch.  When I arrived there was another woman present, and I was introduced as "My transgender friend, Michelle."

Lovely.

Disclosure without my permission, and dropped into the category of transgender friend... how very special!  I walked out, and later sent an e-mail to detail why this was incredibly inappropriate, tone-deaf behavior.

When I do my Trans 101 presentations, I introduce myself as an older woman who got this way by being a transgender person. I then immediately say that saying this is called 'disclosure' and is a mark of my trust in others to hold this personal information private.

Disclosing my nature as a way to brag of how others are accepting is simply wrong.  It tends to immediately alter how others think of me. 

I know that, particularly for older persons, once they know that I am transgender, I am no longer seen as a woman, but as an unusual 'dude in a dress', and am even referred to with male pronouns, usually when I am not present, although they do slip up frequently.

Not cool!

Totally not cool. I didn't get into this in the original post, but the newer friend whom had just moved to the city, and I had invited to dinner with our group of girlfriends (all cis except me), has a PhD in psychology and treats PTSD patients at the VA hospital, so she was well equipped to keep me from going off the rails on our way home. Still though, that budding friendship was pretty much done after that. Feel free to share my story whenever you speak to a group about what not to do.
  •  

luckygirl

I let a lot of crap just float over my head. A goodly amount of people that are saying offensive things don't even relate to it on that level. So unless I actually sense there is some kind of malice involved, I let it all float by. I try to keep in mind that everybody I know is transitioning with me and since this is everyone's first rodeo, well, I just don't want to make a career out of being butt hurt and frankly, in our position, that can happen pretty easily. Now if they turn into a s&%t show next to a dumpster fire after I've shared it wasn't cool?  I banish them from my queendom ;D. Otherwise, meh.
  •