News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

FtM Facial Hair Growth

Started by scrubcore, January 03, 2019, 04:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrubcore

Hey y'all
I'm approaching a year on T and my facial hair growth has been steady and I'm not upset about where I'm at, but I would love more.
Has anyone experimented with facial hair growth serums? And if so, what worked for you, what didn't work for you, and what you do/don't recommend?

•  

Kylo

Minoxidil 5% works pretty well if applied daily, but after stopping using it the hair went back to its normal rate of filling in.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Dani

With just one year on T, you should realistically expect to have the facial hair of a mid teenage boy, say around 14 or 15 years old. For most men, it takes several years to go from peach fuzz to full beard. In a previous life, I started having facial hair that needed to be shaved at age 14, starting with my upper lip. I really did not have full facial hair until I was over 20 years old.

Growing a beard takes time. Just make sure your T levels are where they need to be and let things happen at their own pace. You will get there soon enough.  ;D
  •  

skipulus

Quote from: Dani on January 04, 2019, 06:11:08 AM
With just one year on T, you should realistically expect to have the facial hair of a mid teenage boy, say around 14 or 15 years old. For most men, it takes several years to go from peach fuzz to full beard.

:) I have a teenage son who just turned 14 this September and he does not have a single facial hair yet even though his dad was doing a full daily shave at 13. It certainly is very different from one guy to another, even from father to son.

I have just been a month on T and I'm already impatient, how will I be after a year I wonder lol.  ;D

•  

smithers 70

I didn't have good facial hair for a couple years but that's just my genetics; my cis younger brother was the same. Unfortunately it's a waiting gane for some of us. I know trans guys who have had good luck w/ Minox.

Pics:  ~1 yr on T vs just about 10 yrs

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Tapatalk

•  

Magnus

Dihydrotestosterone is the reason it takes an inordinate amount of time (it is solely responsible for androgenic hair development, among other things. Testosterone in and of itself has naught to do with it, beyond being present to meet with 5a-reductase, mostly within skin/follicles, to become DHT in the first place). It is a very limited resource, and you have millions upon millions of receptors all clamoring for it at once. In other words, there's never nearly enough to get around everywhere, all the time. Enter the several years-long "patchy" phase lol.

I wouldn't bother with supposed 'hair growth' products. What little I looked into it, soon as you stop, it regresses. Waste of money in the grand scheme, IMO.

•  

invisiblemonsters

i've been on T for coming up 5 years and honestly, the sides on my cheeks still aren't filled in. every guy in my family (on both sides) can grow a good beard. it's just about waiting and being patient. i definitely can grow a better beard then i could a year ago! i hear a lot of people do have a decent amount of success with minoxidil like smithers70 said.
  •  

transspoonie

Minoxidil is pretty hit or miss for some people, but I don't think that's any different than when cis men use it; some report the growth recedes after stopping treatment, others report that it doesn't, and it's all anecdotal anyway.

I recommend you talk to your doctor about it (because it is, first and foremost, a blood pressure medication). If you think it's worth the money to try it, even if it partially/fully recedes after stopping, go for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and all that.

Also, because it hasn't been mentioned yet, Minoxidil and other hair growth serums can be toxic to pets. If you have pets or interact with animals frequently, I'd research how to prevent unintentional exposure. I'd give Minoxidil a shot myself if my cat didn't like rubbing her face against my beard so much.

•