Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What's your journey with disordered eating and/or fitness culture?

Started by Holden, January 08, 2019, 11:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holden

I thought I'd just open a discussion about disordered eating to ask about your experiences, since I haven't seen many posts about it.

Although I've never had severe enough problems to be diagnosed with an eating disorder, I most definitely have had disordered eating for a long time. For awhile I didn't know I was doing it, but since starting testosterone I've been much more aware of it, and felt a lot more pressure to "be fit" and "look good" whatever the hell that means.

For me, it's been interesting to be psychologically in between typically female and male disordered eating patterns. There's no doubt that women are completely surrounded and oppressed about so much body and eating >-bleeped-<, but male bodybuilding culture can be so toxic, and puts so much pressure on male bodies. Sometimes I feel in between these two things, and find myself triggered by passing comments by friends or people around me.

Luckily I've learned a lot of skills to process these feelings and take healthful decisions even if I'm feeling triggered, but I find that if I'm feeling anxious I obsess over workouts or fitness research, which puts me in a really bad place.

What are your experiences with disordered eating or toxic fitness culture?
  •  

Allison S

I weighed 137 lbs which on my 5'7 (what I consider) large frame, was sickly. Controlling what and how much I eat was an obsession that,consumed me pretty much. I didn't like how I looked at all though

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

•