Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Renaissance/Medieval Faires

Started by MadisonJoan, January 08, 2019, 04:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadisonJoan

Who all in here enjoys Renaissance and Medieval Faires?  I do!  I do enjoy learning about the Middle Ages, Vikings, knights, the Crusades, and such.  There's a good and free Medieval Fair in Norman, Oklahoma on the last weekend in March/first weekend in April.  I have went three times.  I also like Joan of Arc; hence the Joan in Madison Joan. 
Wait'll they get a load of me!
  •  

MaryT

I've always liked fairies and mermaids and the like.  I think that in most illustrations, fairies are shown in medieval attire or near nudity, although some of the Cottingley fairy photos show dresses circa 1920.  I had a stroll around Cottingley and the glen some time ago and it was nice, although the area is more built up than it used to be (the new streets have fairy names such as Oberon and Titania).  Even Sir Arthur Conan Doyle believed and visited the girls who took the photos.  Of course, one of the girls in later life admitted that most of the photos were faked but insisted that they really had seen fairies and had faked the photos because nobody would believe them.  FairyTale: A True Story is a movie about the girls.  There were already fairy legends associated with Cottingley Glen and there is an ancient carved stone, associated with fairies, in the glen, although I haven't seen it yet.  I also went to White Wells on Ilkley Moor where, in a previous century, an attendant at the springs complained of being attacked by a large number of fairies.     
  •  

MaryT

In 2000, I went to Iceland, where many people still claim to believe in fairies.  I was shown a rocky area of Reykjavik where they were said to be especially numerous.  My guide said that she believed that she had been helped by Huldufólk, "hidden people", when her car broke down one night.  She said that they had been wearing modern clothes and looked normal but immediately after fixing her car, they mysteriously vanished.
  •  

MadisonJoan

I love mermaids.  Sometimes I wish I was one.  I loved watching The Little Mermaid as a kid.
  •  

Ann W

I have never been to a Ren Faire, but I've always wanted to go. I've wanted to participate in the SCA, as well, ever since I was relatively young. Now that I know I'm female, this desire has taken on a whole different character.  :) It would be lovely to attend as a Lady, to accept the graces of a chivalrous knight, to curtsy before the King and Queen. Ah, well. Maybe someday.
  •  

Linde

Sadly enough, those fairs are more like the Dinsney versions of it.  Renaissance and middle ages are happily mixed up with each other, and to top it, roast turkey legs are a specialty there.  What the organizers forget that turkeys are American birds, and nobody in Europe knew about them at those times.
What really cracks me up is the picture that is painted about the Vikings.  I seem to be of Viking decent, at least my  Family name is as Viking as they come.  Vikings  (Germanic people) are depicted as the marauding hordes killing everything in their way.  However, most of the Vikings were traders and crafts people.  Only those Groups of the Viking who lived at the hostile shores of Norway had to go to sea to eek out a living.  The largest numbers of these tribes lived in today's Denmark and northern Germany, as well as along the Baltic coast.  The largest ever settlement of the Vikings was at the end of the Schlei fjord, between today's Denmark and Germany, it was Hedeby/Haitabu/Haddeby (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedeby).

This is the end of today's cultural lessen!  >:-)
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Jennifer M

Quote from: Ann W on January 14, 2019, 06:54:00 PM
It would be lovely to attend as a Lady, to accept the graces of a chivalrous knight, to curtsy before the King and Queen. Ah, well. Maybe someday.
Yes to that! And Madison Joan, I have mermaid wishes too.  :)

•  

MadisonJoan

I especially love to be in water; hence why I like mermaids
  •