Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones: Canada's family doctors get guidance ...

Started by AnneK, January 21, 2019, 01:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnneK

Puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones: Canada's family doctors get guidance on treating youth with "gender dysphoria"

QuoteHormone suppression can delay puberty and give youth "more time to make decisions about transitioning," write the authors of a new review.

The Chronicle/Sharon Kirkey
More from Sharon Kirkey
Published on: January 21, 2019 | Last Updated: January 21, 2019 3:48 PM

https://www.thechronicle-online.com/news/puberty-blockers-cross-sex-hormones-canadas-family-doctors-get-guidance-on-treating-youth-with-gender-dysphoria/wcm/39ee8f69-1973-4785-bb14-81ec5f509c38
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

JanePlain

Quote from: AnneK on January 21, 2019, 01:37:58 PM
Puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones: Canada's family doctors get guidance on treating youth with "gender dysphoria"

The Chronicle/Sharon Kirkey
More from Sharon Kirkey
Published on: January 21, 2019 | Last Updated: January 21, 2019 3:48 PM

https://www.thechronicle-online.com/news/puberty-blockers-cross-sex-hormones-canadas-family-doctors-get-guidance-on-treating-youth-with-gender-dysphoria/wcm/39ee8f69-1973-4785-bb14-81ec5f509c38

Happy to see this article.  Imagine all the pain (surgery) the typical m2f person won't have to do and the effect of hormones doing their thing before the opposite ones have ironed things into people
  •  

Alice V

Seems better than letting children change their bodies without any assessment.
"Don't try and blame me for your sins,
For the sun has burn me black.
Your hollow lives, this world in which we live -
I hurl it back."©Bruce Dickinson

My place
  •  

AnneK

Quote from: Alice V on May 04, 2019, 06:16:17 PM
Seems better than letting children change their bodies without any assessment.

I don't think anyone has advocated letting children do it without assessment.  In fact, IIRC, once they've been determined to be genuinely trans, they'd normally get nothing more than puberty blockers, until they were old enough to decide.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

•  

Dani

There are issues with using puberty blockers in young children who identify as transgender.

For the MTF child, the penis never develops into a usable size needed for penile inversion GCS. Yes, there are other methods of GCS, but they are more complicated and have issues unique to the procedure used.

Allowing normal teenage development does not have this limitation in penis size and the other masculinizing features are not that severe for teenagers. There are many people who have transitioned into extremely attractive, passable women who transitioned in their teens or early twenties with just Estrogens alone. It is the late transitioner who needs hundreds of hours of beard electrolysis, hair transplants for male pattern balding and expensive facial surgeries to even begin to pass reasonably well.

•  

AnneK

QuoteThere are issues with using puberty blockers in young children who identify as transgender.

I guess that's why the doctors are getting guidance.  That article also mentions the kids get an evaluation before starting blockers.

•  

zirconia

Quote from: Dani on May 05, 2019, 07:52:58 AM
There are issues with using puberty blockers in young children who identify as transgender.

For the MTF child, the penis never develops into a usable size needed for penile inversion GCS. Yes, there are other methods of GCS, but they are more complicated and have issues unique to the procedure used.

Hi, Dani

Besides the prevention of genital growth what are the other issues? I myself would have gladly accepted (and welcomed) that—which is why I've until now felt strongly that they should be the first step if available. If there are others, I need to also keep them in mind when discussing the matter with other people.
  •