News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Phalloplasty without colpectomy

Started by November_Fox, February 18, 2019, 03:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

November_Fox

Hi guys,

Sorry for the avalanche of questions. This happens every time surgery is on the horizon  ;D
I found a few surgeons who offer hysterectomy, and some of them also offer colpectomy, which is what I prefer.

My reason for wanting  this is mostly closure of things in the genital area.
I was wondering whether phalloplasty surgeons "close up" the area even after a normal hysterectomy.
  •  

Dex

Hey!

I did not have a phalloplasty (I had metoidioplasty). But I think it is more common to have the colpectomy at the same time as your metoidioplasty/phalloplasty as opposed to at the same time as your hysterectomy. So there should be no issue with having a "normal" hysterectomy and having the colpectomy at some time after.

Some phalloplasty/metoidioplasty surgeons actually use some of the muscosal tissue for the urethral lengthening (though there are other areas like the inside of your mouth that they can use for harvesting). So it may be worthwhile checking with your preferred phalloplasty surgeons to make sure you aren't making that portion more difficult by doing the colpectomy right away.

FWIW, I had the "normal" hysterectomy and the colpectomy (often called vaginectomy even though that's a bit of a misnomer) at the time of my metoidioplasty (roughly 2.5 yrs after my hysterectomy).
  •  

November_Fox

Reading this after your other reply.

To be honest I´d prefer to have it all done at once, but I have been transitioning for so long, I guess I just kind of want to "finish it off".

I am going to have a look into the different surgeons and see what´s best.
Thanks again Dex, really useful info.
  •  

Dex

Somewhat combining the two topics, yeah the whole... stuff from the opening issue was a huge huge issue for me. It absolutely did make intimacy very very difficult (even though it didn't bother my wife).

Honestly, if you can get it all done as a part of your hysto, I would say absolutely go for it. The only potential drawback I see is if your future phalloplasty surgeon wanted to use some of that tissue. So I think checking on a few of your preferred surgeons and how they usually do their surgeries first would help you know what the best option is.

I will say no longer having the hole is a huuuuuuuuugggggggeeeeee step forward for me. I love intimacy with my wife now. The combination of the metoidioplasty and the colpectomy was life changing for my sex life.

Glad I've been helpful. Certainly feel free to ask me anything else you are curious about!
  •