Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Article on Trans Atletes in 2008 olympics

Started by Alison, February 22, 2006, 11:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alison

I thought it was a fairly centerally opinioned article...

No actual advantage?
Perhaps the biggest hurdle facing the athletes is convincing critics that male-to-female transsexuals do not have a physical advantage over their competitors.

"It's the age-old phenomenon of people fearing what they don't know," said Jill Pilgrim, general counsel and director of business affairs for USA Track and Field Inc., who teamed up with a physician to do research on transsexual athletes. "When a male-to-female transsexual undergoes hormone therapy, they are reducing their testosterone levels and taking female hormones. They lose muscle mass, which is the advantage testosterone gives you."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10809648/
  •  

stephanie_craxford

•  

LostInTime

I like the article, thanks for the link.

Quote"People don't understand who a transgendered person is at all. It's not about their sexual orientation," she said. "It's about how they feel pertaining to gender. That's a hard thing to wrap your head around."

And unfortunately for all, some never even try to grasp a basic understanding.  Not saying that everyone has to be all open arms in acceptance but they should at least pay enough attention so that they know the basics.
  •