Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Can hormones change taste?

Started by Allie Jayne, March 27, 2019, 04:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allie Jayne

I have been on Estradiol patches for a couple of weeks and the only thing which has changed is my taste. I was a Cokeaholic and now it tastes terrible. Not a big problem, but curious if this was caused by the E or maybe something else is happening.

Allie
  •  

Quinn

For me it didn't change my taste but I can taste more now, My sense of smell is so much better now at first is was a bit overwhelming, I would smell things I never noticed before and some of them I wish I couldn't smell now lol. There is also a possibility that your sight may change for better or worse.
You will start to notice changes over time but they will just become the new normal.
  •  

Allie Jayne

Actually I have noticed my smell is maybe a bit more sensitive, and smell and taste are connected. I had a glass of coke today and it tasted awful. Part of my job involves cutting up fish and I have noticed the smell a bit more. If it gets too sensitive I may struggle with fish!

Allie
  •  

LizK

I have always loved chocolate but after starting HRT that went to a whole new level...I can't pinpoint why but it is beyond amazing and I have to be careful that I don't start as I won't stop until I finish it.  :D
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Allie Jayne

Liz, I love chocolate, but I haven't had any since I started HRT. I do hope that doesn't taste bad now, especially with Easter coming soon!

Allie
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Quote from: Quinn on March 27, 2019, 05:04:03 AM
For me it didn't change my taste but I can taste more now, My sense of smell is so much better now at first is was a bit overwhelming, I would smell things I never noticed before and some of them I wish I couldn't smell now lol. There is also a possibility that your sight may change for better or worse.
You will start to notice changes over time but they will just become the new normal.

I could have wrote these words above, well put.

When I started estradiol HRT one of the first things I noticed at about 3 weeks, was the smell of all the flowers and plants when I was out on a walk (summer time) was more intense and meaningful, it was my first realization things are changing.

As far as sense of taste, I seemed to notice more fine details in tastes today, and find myself wanting to try new foods, before I was just kinda stuck in rut.

I also noticed colors (visual) seemed to take on new meanings (subjective), I noticed more details in colors of things.

Chocolate is heaven...

C -
  •  

KathyLauren

My sense of smell is more accute now.  Though taste and smell are inter-related, I haven't noticed a change in my taste so much.

Chocolate is more than amazing, but then it always was.  I now see it as a sign that I was always programmed to be female. :D  Long before I started HRT, I knew what women meant when they said that chocolate was better than sex! :D
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Margrit

Oh yes, I think that is absolutely possible.

Mine did. :-)
I am more sensitive to the taste of all kind of food. Everything has become much more tasteful to me.
An other thing I noticed is, salt food like Chips and staff has become more attractive to me. Before I started HRT eeevverything had to be sweet or even more sweet and a lot of sugar was needed in aaaalllllll food. Now not anymore.
I would say also my nose is since I am in HRT sensitiver.
  •  

Linde

For me it did!  I really loved the taste of beer, specifically the taste of Pilsener style (mostly German) beer.  I now have two 6 packs of the stuff in the fridge and don't care for the taste of beer anymore!
I simply don't like beer anymore!  But I know many women who don't like beer either!  Could it be that estrogen is the big beer taste killer?
I am afraid to tell anybody that I don't like beer anymore!  :embarrassed:
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Northern Star Girl

The biggest change for me was a penchant for salty things, dill pickles, olives, potato chips, salted nuts, etc... originally it was more than likely due to the Spiro that I took early in my transition...

I have always loved chocolate and very fortunately I still do!!!!   
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Margrit

How very interesting  :)

By the way I never ever liked beer at all buuuut I love red wine and Champagner.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Margrit on March 27, 2019, 03:16:36 PM
How very interesting  :)

By the way I never ever liked beer at all buuuut I love red wine and Champagner.
I had that salt/sour taste preference, too!  But I was not even on spiro, just on E.  My therapist told me that seems to be pretty common, the body creates something like a pseudo pregnancy, because of the new hormones.

I don't like champagner/sekt, much either.  I always liked red wine, and the taste for that has not changed!  But I always liked a nice Pilsener the most, and that like is gone with the wind (or better, with estrogen)
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Allie Jayne

Thank you all for your responses! It seems these changes may be permanent? Or maybe just related to the period of puberty we are going through. I'm glad the consensus is that chocolate is is unaffected, because that would be a serious cost to transition. On the positive side I am losing weight!

Allie
  •  

Kylo

I don't think so. I still have a good sense of taste/smell. Not a smoker or anything for many years, I think that helps in keeping the senses sharp.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

GordonG

I have experienced no changes to taste or smell. What's wrong with me!  :laugh:
I'm a gender confused guy who lives an hour north of Seattle.
I believe that I was influenced by DES. I have crossdressed in public a handful of times, see avatar picture (enhanced with FaceApp).
I don't plan on transitioning, no GRS, FFS, nor BA.
I consider myself TransFeminine. But reserve the right to change my mind at any time.  ;D

Spironolactone; 7-16-2018
E sublinguals; 10-5-2018
Orchi; 2-15-19
No more Spiro. 

•  

Tabitha.1

For me, HRT significantly changed my sense of tast and my food preferences. Before HRT, I almost  never eat chocolate and never really went out of my way for salads, but afterwards, they became mainstays of my diet. Curiously, after starting HRT, I lost about 20 lbs without trying!

Edited: spelling error
  •