Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

There's a new Futurism Article that says Facial recognition will kill us

Started by Kirsti2304, April 26, 2019, 03:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirsti2304

Hey this is a new article that I found on Futurism. I found it interesting but probably can't post a link here because it's against the rules. So here's the complete headline if you want to google it:

Researcher: Facial Recognition Tech Could Get Trans People Killed

And to be honest I think that Facial recognition will become a big problem in the future for many transgender people. Ai is getting better year by year and hardware is also advancing and becomes wildly available. In the near future every Smartphone will have AI Chips that can determine if you where born male or female probably better then every Human ever could maybe even accounting for things like a FFS.

There are already taxis in Japan that can determine your gender by Facial Recognition and give you either steriotiypcial male or female advertisment. So why shouldn't a extreme Anti-LGBT Country use this on every of their Airports and when you step into their country they can get you arrested or even sentence you to death for being Transgender.

Also there are Facial Recognition programs in the making that can determine if your gay or straight. So this is not only a Transgender problem but can also affect everybody that is LGBT. It would probably also get people in trouble that aren't living openly gay or repress their sexuallity.

So what do you think?
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Quote from: Kirsti2304 on April 26, 2019, 03:39:38 PM
So what do you think?

When I read this, I'm reminded of an old 60's tune lyrics "for what it's worth" by Buffalo Springfield...

"Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep, it starts when you're always afraid, you step out of line, the man come and take you away..."

I'll think I'll continue to live my life authentically, thanks...

C -
  •  

Michelle_P

I'm just waiting for the half-baked gender guessing algorithm to appear in a cheap camera for use on restroom door locks.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Michelle_P on April 26, 2019, 04:36:42 PM
I'm just waiting for the half-baked gender guessing algorithm to appear in a cheap camera for use on restroom door locks.
It would be funny if neither camera could decide on a gender. You would be unable to use either bathroom because each would think you belonged in the other. On the other hand, that could happen to some CIS people as well.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Ricki Wright

After I got out of the military there were countries I could not fly over let alone visit without the State Departments approval.

Once I was reunited with myself, and after a lot of research, part of the pro's/con's game I think we all play before deciding to transition was making a list of all the countries I would not be able to visit due to possible death, and states I could not live in due to lack of Trans rights. It's 2019 and over half of the US does not believe that trans people need to be protected from hate and discrimination. The end result was that there wasn't any place on the list worth giving up living as who I am.

As far as tech goes for making life difficult for trans people: visit any airport with a body scanner. I choose to avoid places that may be dangerous at home and abroad.

My goal is to live long enough for the tech in "Altered Carbon" (netflix show) to get here and just buy the sleeve (aka body) I want. Done and done!

Ricki
At 5 I forgot who I am. Fortunately, who I am protected me all these years until I remembered. Whatever else happens, I will live the rest of my life whole.
My story: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244130.0.html
HRT 07Nov18
  •  

AnneK

QuoteWhen I read this, I'm reminded of an old 60's tune lyrics "for what it's worth" by Buffalo Springfield...

I remember that one well.

Music was so much better back in those days, compared with what often passes for music now.  There was some really interesting music back then.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Lisa89125

That is one of my favorite songs.  That recording is pretty bad though.

Some good music came out of the Vietnam war era.

Could fit as well.

Lisa

"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Not yet quite ready to post my real self.
  •  

Lady Sarah

I am absolutely positive it would promote discrimination, and even get straight cis people killed. Trying to shove an algorithm as per societal norms would be doomed to fail when it comes to people that fail to be correctly identified by such an algorithm. Not every women is going to look perfectly female, and not every man is going to look perfectly male.

Use them for restroom locks? The adult diaper industry would explode.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

Bea1968

I would question the veracity of any claim that facial recognition programs could detect sexual preferences  in people.  I would also question why anyone would wish to go to a country that has radical transphobia as described. 
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Bea1968 on April 30, 2019, 01:32:31 PM
I would question the veracity of any claim that facial recognition programs could detect sexual preferences  in people.  I would also question why anyone would wish to go to a country that has radical transphobia as described.

A lot of flights are routed through Intoleranstan.  ;D
  •  

Bea1968

There were "scholars" in the 18th and 19th centuries that truely believed that they could devine a persons character and criminal propensity through measurements of the brow, jaw and eyes.  Their findings have largely been disproved. It's a popular belief but I'd like to see some real science demonstrating an actual connection to observed physical traits and a persons internal thoughts or ethics. 
  •  

Megan.

The AI in my phone camera genders me female ~95% of the time, even pre-FFS.

I work in IT and I'm well aware of the limitations of software. I've not got any personal concerns.

X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Bea1968

Didn't even know a phone could do that, wow.

As far as limitations on software, an acronym I learned some 40 years ago comes to mind.  GIGO.  Garbage in, garbage out.  Got to be able to isolate variables and define the parameters when setting up the program.  Computers ain't magic. 
  •  

Julia1996

I was just waiting for something like this. Discrimination by technology. That's just great. 😣🤬
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •